One life - how far can you get?

I would like to use Mechjeb as informational mod - is that within the scope of the challenge?

Planned Mod Setup: 

* Kerbal Alarm Clock to plan transfer windows
* Mechjeb for Maneuver-Node Tuning (using the Touchpad on Maneuver Nodes is a nightmare)
* Mechjeb as Build Aid for dV calculations
* Final Frontier - to track what the crew has visited. 

Edited by EricPoehlsen
complete mod list

3 hours ago, EricPoehlsen said:

I would like to use Mechjeb as informational mod - is that within the scope of the challenge?

Planned Mod Setup: 

* Kerbal Alarm Clock to plan transfer windows
* Mechjeb for Maneuver-Node Tuning (using the Touchpad on Maneuver Nodes is a nightmare)
* Mechjeb as Build Aid for dV calculations
* Final Frontier - to track what the crew has visited. 

Those are all fine as long as you don't use the autopilot or anything.

My first try. Planned destinations - Mun, Minmus, Duna, Ike. Not very ambitious, but should do for getting used to stock system again.

FZHqGX1.png

Liftoff. Simple launch vehicle, reasonable margins on every stage.

mkMYqgD.png

Fairing deployment. Boom. The vhole service module lost, no idea what happened. Well, back to the drawing board :/

This is the kind of thing which makes me happy to have a quickload/revert option, usually.

Michal.don

2 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Fairing deployment. Boom. The vhole service module lost, no idea what happened. Well, back to the drawing board :/

This is why I neglected to add a fairing to my attempt :D

You should especially avoid them if you're packing wheels. They tend to glitch out, at least for me

3 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

This is why I neglected to add a fairing to my attempt :D

You should especially avoid them if you're packing wheels. They tend to glitch out, at least for me

Yeah, fairings aren't usually dangerous enough to be concerned about but when you only have one life they are a major problem. I had an interstage fairing for my attempt and I only barely got it off - I realized that it would hit the boosters right after I detached it. I solved it by timewarping right after i staged.

Did a few tests.

The "clamshell" fairings seem to have caused the issue. I loathe the confetti fairing type, but I'll have to put up with them, they don't seem to eat half of my spacecraft, which is a plus. And maybe I'll add a few struts, just in case :D

Michal.don

14 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I got very nervous during my attempt and I think 2/3 of the parts on my craft ended up being struts. :D

Yeah, I get that, the whole "one life" thing is more serious and nerve-wrecking than I thought it would be :)

One question though - I'll probably attempt the same mission again, which will probably lead to similar payload, and therefore a similar launcher. I already deleted the sandbox save with all the ships, but is it a problem if the spacecraft will be pretty similar? Or do I have to build something entirely different?

Thanks,

Michal.don

34 minutes ago, michal.don said:

Yeah, I get that, the whole "one life" thing is more serious and nerve-wrecking than I thought it would be :)

One question though - I'll probably attempt the same mission again, which will probably lead to similar payload, and therefore a similar launcher. I already deleted the sandbox save with all the ships, but is it a problem if the spacecraft will be pretty similar? Or do I have to build something entirely different?

Thanks,

Michal.don

That's fine.

As I said, it will be either epic or a failure - this is the plan ...

Planned Mission Profile for the Behemoth Mission

1. Reaching LKO ✔ Youtube Video
  2. Transfer to Eve ✔ Beauty shot in eve orbit, after insertion burn
  3. Transfer to Gilly > Landing on Gilly ✔ Jebediah planted a flag - returned to Behemoth
  4. Fueling Eve Lander / Refueling Interplanetary stage ✘destroyed by gravity glitch
  5. Transfer to Low Eve Orbit (did not happen due to failure of 4.)
  6. Landing on Eve (did not happen due to failure of 4.)
  7. Transfer to Moho > Landing on Moho (did not happen due to failure of 4.)
  8. Transfer to Duna > Landing on Duna ✘Behemoth destroyed due to misjudged aerobreak maneuver
  9. Transfer to Ike > Landing on Ike (all below did not happen due to 8. and 4.)
  10. Refueling Interplanetary stage
  11. Transfer to Dres > Landing on Dres
  12. Transfer to Jool (order of next five mission steps will depend on orbital situation)
  13. Landing on Tylo
  14. Landing on Laythe
  15. Landing on Bop
  16. Landing on Pol
  17. Landing on Vall
  18. Refueling Interplanetary Transfer Stage 
  19. Transfer to Eeloo > Landing on Eeloo
  20. Transfer to Kerbin
  21. Landing on Minmus
  22. Landing on Mun
  23. Return to Kerbin 

Asteroid Encounter maybe added between mission steps 19 and 20 (there is no grappler abord

All of the above will be depending on mission part 1.

Stages / Subvessels of the Behemoth

• Asperagus staged Ascent System with a total of 90 S3-KS-25 vector engines
  • Nuclear powered interplanetary transfer stage with 15 LV-N Nerv Atomic Engine
  • Two unkerbaled resource harvesters
  • Two unkerbaled resource scansat
  • An Eve lander
  • Four one person landers with 3100m/s dV
  • One Tylo decent stage
  • Two atmospheric decent stages (for Duna and Laythe)
  • Living Quarters and return vehicle for a total of seven crew members
Edited by EricPoehlsen
Updated for final result

Alright,

after cursing the fairing for a fair amount of time, I redesigned the whole spacecraft and gave it another go.

Mission plan - use a single stage lander to land on the Mun and Minmus, redock to the main ship, transfer to Duna, land on Duna and Ike, leave the lander there and return to Kerbin.

The main pictures in spoiler, all of them in an imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/4PpCR

Spoiler

8s3b6sM.png

Similar launch vehicle, two additional boosters needed because of increased fuel margins on the main ship

coz9twX.png

Fairings gone (so ugly, but doesn't damage anything)

aZb9b7l.png

Lander with a transfer stage to the Mun

zHCOR0z.png

On the surface

ksqCUKJ.png

On Minmus

OmVr1pQ.png

Burning for Duna

I5CEvbx.png

On Ike

CwNDLiv.png

Duna

UDlKN3j.png

On our way home

ikDZmP3.png

M5lC7og.png

Turned out I was pretty conservative with the design of the transfer stage and service module - I had more than enough fuel in the tanks to reach low Kerbin orbit an the way back without aerobraking. On the other hand, due to bad piloting (too shallow ascent from Duna) I did not have enough fuel to rendezvous and dock to the main ship and had to do an EVA transfer in Duna orbit - about three kilometres. Apart from that the mission went really smoothly, so I might give this challenge another go with a more ambitious mission profile.

For this attempt, I believe my score should be following:

(Kerbin (5+5) + Mun (10+20+10+10) + Minmus (10+20+10+10) + Kerbol (10) + Ike (20+20+20+20) + Duna (20+30+50+50)) x 2 (for getting everybody home safely)

Which should add up to, if I'm correct, 700 points.

Thanks for the challenge, I had great fun.

Michal.don

Edit: Oh, I did not include the modlist.

KER

Transfer window planner

Scatterer

EVE

Edited by michal.don

So it looks like my mission will be cut short ... 

I set both my refueling landers down on Gilly, switched to the Tracking Station to fast forward and they vanished ...

I don't know why and how - but they are gone. 

So now I will probably try to get the ship back to kerbin and do mun and minmus - delta v might be just enough for that. 

Edited by EricPoehlsen
typo

23 hours ago, EricPoehlsen said:

So it looks like my mission will be cut short ... 

I set both my refueling landers down on Gilly, switched to the Tracking Station to fast forward and they vanished ...

I don't know why and how - but they are gone. 

So now I will probably try to get the ship back to kerbin and do mun and minmus - delta v might be just enough for that. 

This is a problem on Gilly, the grav is so low that ships float off the surface in response to SAS or other slight impulses. Then you go to Tracking station, which sees a ship in an absurdly low suborbital trajectory, puts everything on rails and crashes the ship fatally into Gilly instantly. 

Behemoth Mission is over ...

After ditching the Eve Lander my deltaV looked promising enough to go out to Duna and Ike and after that return to Kerbin to do Mun and Minmus. 

Unfortunatly I misjudged my aerobraking trajectory on Duna and as the Behemoth turns with the grace of a pregnant whale and has about as much thrust as Bob when screaming it crashed. I tried to seperate the Kerbin return vessel to land safely but it collided into the rest of the ship so the crew died. 

Final results: 

• Kerbol - 10/-/-/-
  • Eve - 20/-/-/-
  • Gilly - 20/10/10/-
  • Kerbin - 5/-/-/-

Maybe I'll do another run some day - yet with a really different design. The Behemoth had some shortcomings.

this is my 2nd try, started a new save, build a new ship, landed on Eve but exploded on liftoff from Eve.

Mun and Minmus

Spoiler

Q4PsYpl.jpg

gY21Ubv.png

Trans Minmus burn:

KbPXIz1.png

Bke3zkH.png

Minmus to Mun

w1pETZS.png

lSL83FP.png

Mun to Gilly 

Spoiler

Mun Orbit to low Kerbin periapsis

xSujOrX.png

There it only takes a small burn to get to Eve

MyaXKZx.jpg

XjC6LvA.png

CqjZEhO.png

bQQwTBz.png

Gilly to Eve

Spoiler

So many aerobraking passes... Never do this again without heatshield, especially when I want to play it safe

laCUKae.png

decoupling return craft

XpNmEk7.png

use propulsion for not burning up on reentry

4lR1uxS.png

I feel like this was a close call

40Vz3rW.png

EW1ZRlD.png

j3Hy8Y2.png

The Disaster

Spoiler

Dropping out of timewarp caused the landing legs to spasm and explode

6gtC7om.png

It was a miracle it stayed rested on the drills.

VqTHx9m.png

I got my hopes up, wanted to launch quickly (had to press an action group to disable crossfeed on all the decouplers, throttle up and stage at the same time) and this happened:

Ukw5bE8.png

y0NwIYY.png

• Kerbol - 10
  • Eve - 20/20
  • Gilly - 20/10/10
  • Kerbin - 5
  • Mun - 10/20/10
  • Minmus - 10/20/10

add up to:  175

Edited by Physics Student

I'm well on my way, pics to follow. I wanted to see how ions do on this one, here's progress so far:

Landed Mun, Minmus, Gilly, Moho, Ike 

Orbited but did not land Duna, Eve, Jool

I'm currently trying to land on Vall, a bit tricky

Edited by Jetski

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.