One life - how far can you get?

18 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

And I thought mine was big... If you've already built it, you might as well try it!

Still working on it! I've currently finished the Laythe, Tylo, Duna, and Airless body landers. I'm mostly worried about the laythe one, cause its a complete guess. I might change it for a traditional rocket rather than a space plane. The airless body landers are to be ion powered with like 7 engines or so with ~5000 m/s of dV. Fairly confident about those, but might as well make some rescue landers thinking about it... and strap on 2 to the thing. Tylo is a couple big fuel tanks and terriers. I've never done an eve lander/ return vehicle, so I'm also worried about that thing. Moho... probably another dedicated chemical lander, although I could probably get away with an ion powered one (need to look at the TWR). The hope is I can also find an asteroid to refuel at Dres or so. There's no way I'm gonna land the mothership. An ore mining craft may be needed (I've already got isru). And strap on relay sats for any probes I'm controlling.

See how it quickly gets very big?

I'm very.... cautious about this, so engineering will proceed for a while. Also cause when piloting, I don't do much gravity assist magic.

2 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Still working on it! I've currently finished the Laythe, Tylo, Duna, and Airless body landers. I'm mostly worried about the laythe one, cause its a complete guess. I might change it for a traditional rocket rather than a space plane. The airless body landers are to be ion powered with like 7 engines or so with ~5000 m/s of dV. Fairly confident about those, but might as well make some rescue landers thinking about it... and strap on 2 to the thing. Tylo is a couple big fuel tanks and terriers. I've never done an eve lander/ return vehicle, so I'm also worried about that thing. Moho... probably another dedicated chemical lander, although I could probably get away with an ion powered one (need to look at the TWR). The hope is I can also find an asteroid to refuel at Dres or so. There's no way I'm gonna land the mothership. An ore mining craft may be needed (I've already got isru). And strap on relay sats for any probes I'm controlling.

See how it quickly gets very big?

I'm very.... cautious about this, so engineering will proceed for a while. Also cause when piloting, I don't do much gravity assist magic.

Wait, you're going for a grand tour? Awesome! Best of luck!

Just now, qzgy said:

Heinous double post, but by land @Ultimate Steve, do we mean "set foot" or "get a kerbal in a capsule on the body"?

I'd say Set Foot while travelling at 0m/s counts as landed. Unless you're at Eve or Tylo, then I'll give you a pass on that.

If you're having trouble with ladders, what I usually do for Eve is to add another capsule at the bottom of the rocket and transfer the crew into that capsule, then EVA.

Behold, my Eve Lander. It has the equipment to land and mine on Minmus, (maybe the Mun), Gilly and finally EVE and maybe return to Kerbin again.

jOV2K7A.jpg

I just need to launch it and ... dang it!

gl0OueE.png

Fairing explosion bug. Well, that's it for this craft. I'm tempted to just remove the fairing and try again, but that would be against the rules of this challenge.

And here we go!

WgohLuL.png

Spoiler

Now honest confession - this is the second time it was loaded. I forgot crew the first time around....

Edit: (╯ರ ~ ರ)╯︵ ┻━┻
PJdQJVL.png

i timewarped into the moon...... and everything was going so well.....

I think I'll restart with a different thing. And only ONE kerbal this time...

Edited by qzgy

2 hours ago, qzgy said:

And here we go!

WgohLuL.png

Hide contents

Now honest confession - this is the second time it was loaded. I forgot crew the first time around....

Edit: (╯ರ ~ ರ)╯︵ ┻━┻
PJdQJVL.png

i timewarped into the moon...... and everything was going so well.....

I think I'll restart with a different thing. And only ONE kerbal this time...

In my experience, multiple Kerbals work well, because if you have a mothership/landers design, then if one dies you can use the other.

As far as your confession, something like forgetting the crew is probably fine to reload for.

If you got to Kerbin or Mun orbit, your score still counts...

Also I really have to update the scoreboard but I can't right now. :P

10 hours ago, CrazyJebGuy said:

Would it be against the rules to launch a rocket and then split it up into smaller little rockets the go separate ways? I might for example launch a rocket into LKO, split it and land one half on Minmus and on on the Mun.

I think that would be fine.

My ISRU ship has made it to Minmus and Gilly, carting along a disposable lander/ascent vehicle for Eve. Currently trying to (slowly) aerobrake down to a gentle entry on Eve with the lander...though if I don't make it, or if I land but screw up my ascent, the mothership can still hit every other world.

Had a slight panic during the Minmus landing and ended up doing a flip and landing on RCS only, but nothing broke.

Also, this was my first time to Gilly, and even though I landed on a sheer cliffside I was still able to right myself with nothing but reaction wheels. Wow.

My mothership has some nifty reusable-asparagus-stages with probe cores and Klaws so I will get to try them out for Tylo. Will also be my first time landing on Tylo.

So my first attempt ended not so well. Rocket went flip-happy at 15,000 m due to improper balancing and only 1.5 degrees of gimbal.

New rocket has vector engines. With 10.5 degrees of gimbal, anything is possible! :D

I'm still fussing over the staging and structure though. Aiming for Duna/Ike and maybe Minmus if I can squeeze out the D-V requirements.

On 12/28/2017 at 12:41 AM, Ultimate Steve said:

Extra multiplier 2x if no Kerbals are killed NEW: Or stranded at all.

Might I suggest a 2x multiplier for having no Kerbals killed or stranded OR a 1.5x multiplier for having no Kerbals killed? Ought to be a difference between merely stranding them and lithobraking them to death.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.