My Advanced Grabbing Unit doesn't seem to be working

I have successfully rendezvoused a stranded craft with a rescue craft, with the intent of transferring fuel to the stranded craft so it can de-orbit. The stranded craft does not have any docking ports, so I equipped the rescue craft with two advanced grabbing units. According to the wiki page, all I need to do it touch the claw to the other ship to dock it (after arming it of course), but I've bumped them together several times and nothing has happened. Is there something else I need to do?

OoNQw1A.png

Yes, klaws are very powerful parts, but they "make up for it" by being really finicky about attaching. At the moment they touch something, they have to be nearly perpendicular to the surface they touch. It can be hard to do and take many tries.

What velocity are you coming in at? With the Advanced Grabbing Unit, you should approach the target with around 2 m/s (instead of <1 m/s for docking ports) to have a better chance of success. Try to aim for a flatter surface on the target ship, as perpendicular as possible.

Edited by 100055

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.