• 0
Sign in to follow this  
LukasKerman

[solved] Normal Mapped Part looks good in Unity, weird in KSP (Question for modders)

Question

Hey guys, so I try to add a few parts to KSP for fun. It all works great but now that I want to add a bumpy texture I run into an issue. It works in Blender and Unity but is very bright and flickering in KSP (The control thing up top). I generate a normal map from a bump map in Unity and as mention it works well inside the Unity editor as you can see below. The texture I use besides the normal map is just the regular on is use for the other parts aswell. Maybe that's the problem? I read another forum post where somebody said I would need to somehow mix the specular and the color texture into one? I'm not sure what that means. Thanks for your help!
 

The Solution: Somehow the Unity internal Normal map generator from greyscale images doesn't work well with KSP. I downloaded the software xNormal and it works flawlessly when I generate normal maps with it. What a pain that was..

Nope, I changed two things at once and the real reason it didn't work before was I exported my textures to TGA files. THat works on regular textures but bump maps apperently go wild using these. Using MBM as a texture format works!

qWNigRJ.jpg

 

Edited by LukasKerman
solved

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Your _MainTex looks all white, so it looks like thats what its applying... vOv
You should drag your basic, colored texture to that spot, and try that... vOv
...and if you DID that already... make sure to NOT change any of the values at all in the shader component... just assign your texture and normal map using all default values, till you get it working...

Edited by Stone Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
41 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Your _MainTex looks all white, so it looks like thats what its applying... vOv
You should drag your basic, colored texture to that spot, and try that... vOv
...and if you DID that already... make sure to NOT change any of the values at all in the shader component... just assign your texture and normal map using all default values, till you get it working...

Hi and thanks for the answer. It looks white-ish but there is a light grey texture applied (simular to the tanks below). It's difficult to show it off but the texure on the control unit is not solid white but flickering diagonally as if there were two textures somehow mixed. The specularity is also completely mixed up. Here an image without the normal map, all looks fine.

dOvSYr0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
55 minutes ago, LukasKerman said:

It's difficult to show it off but the texure on the control unit is not solid white but flickering diagonally as if there were two textures somehow mixed.

Oh... sounds like you have Z-fighting going on then... search that term for help on the issue... that can happen when two *meshes* overlap...
if you are using a Mesh Collider in unity for the part, make sure to delete the Mesh Renderer component on it...
and if you *are* using a mesh collider, for a part like that, would prolly be advisable to go with a basic cylinder collider instead... mesh colliders are more resource/performance intensive, and arent really necessary except on more complicated part shapes...

 

Edited by Stone Blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
51 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Oh... sounds like you have Z-fighting going on then... search that term for help on the issue... that can happen when two *meshes* overlap...
if you are using a Mesh Collider in unity for the part, make sure to delete the Mesh Renderer component on it...
and if you *are* using a mesh collider, for a part like that, would prolly be advisable to go with a basic cylinder collider instead... mesh colliders are more resource/performance intensive, and arent really necessary except on more complicated part shapes...

 

I got it! Somehow the Unity internal Normal map generator from greyscale images doesn't work well with KSP. I downloaded the software xNormal and it works flawlessly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this