[1.3.X] INSTANTIATOR

The White Guardian

INSTANTIATOR

They say an image speaks a thousand words. Therefore, here is a demonstration of what INSTANTIATOR can do:

8AXp9pe.png

Note: the blue accretion disk is INSTANTIATOR's work

Precisely, INSTANTIATOR makes it possible to spawn objects inside the planetary system to enrich the KSP experience. From corona-effects to accretion disks.

DOWNLOAD

SpaceDock [V1.0]

Source code available on GitHub

Disclaimer

INSTANTIATOR was originally created by forum user @Artyomka15. I (The White Guardian) only maintain the mod in their absence so that mods depending on it can continue.

Edited by The White Guardian

48 minutes ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

Hopes for Kargantua to be Revived soon

As far as we know, Artyomka, the dev of the mod, has disappeared. Unfortunately all assets in the latest Kargantua mod are under a license that prevents anyone from modifying and redistributing its content (CC-BY-NC-ND... despite the fact that all cloud textures in Kargantua are stolen, which in itself is something I do not want to dive back into). These assets are also quite dated and will not function without a heavy rewriting of the code and configs.

Don't get your hopes up with Soon™...

8 hours ago, Agustin said:

so.. is this a mod for other modes to use?
IS anyone using it yet? Which may add things in their planet packs?

@Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul, for example, uses INSTANTIATOR to add an accretion disk to Olu'um.

INSTANTIATOR is indeed a tool for other modders to enrich their mods.

21 hours ago, Adstriduum said:

Wait, so is SCALE the size? is it in kilometers?

It's in Unity units, and those are up to the game to define. I'm personally not sure as to what scale the INSTANTIATOR 'scale' would be, it's mostly a trial and error process currently.

19 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

@Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul, for example, uses INSTANTIATOR to add an accretion disk to Olu'um.

INSTANTIATOR is indeed a tool for other modders to enrich their mods.

It's in Unity units, and those are up to the game to define. I'm personally not sure as to what scale the INSTANTIATOR 'scale' would be, it's mostly a trial and error process currently.

ok. thanks :) 

Now the texture isn't working.

B8GSlEO.png

I made sure the file and path was right many times and there are no broken links. I'm just doing this as a test.

Here is the code:

INSTANTIATOR
{
	SCALED_OBJECT //You can make as many SCALED_OBJECT and INSTANTIATOR nodes as you want, and wherever you want. There can be an infinite amount of SCALED_OBJECT nodes in an INSTANTIATOR node; One object per SCALED_OBJECT node.
	{
		Name = mundisk
		Body = Mun
		Scale = 18000, 0.0001, 18000
		Shader = Unlit
		Rotation = 0, 0, 0 
		InvertNormals = false
		Texture = intest/mundisk.png
		Type = Cube
		IgnoreLight = true
	}
}

10 hours ago, Adstriduum said:

Now the texture isn't working.

B8GSlEO.png

I made sure the file and path was right many times and there are no broken links. I'm just doing this as a test.

Here is the code:

INSTANTIATOR
{
	SCALED_OBJECT //You can make as many SCALED_OBJECT and INSTANTIATOR nodes as you want, and wherever you want. There can be an infinite amount of SCALED_OBJECT nodes in an INSTANTIATOR node; One object per SCALED_OBJECT node.
	{
		Name = mundisk
		Body = Mun
		Scale = 18000, 0.0001, 18000
		Shader = Unlit
		Rotation = 0, 0, 0 
		InvertNormals = false
		Texture = intest/mundisk.png
		Type = Cube
		IgnoreLight = true
	}
}

The problem is the shader targeting.

INSTANTIATOR internally runs 'Shader.Find()' to target a shader, and for this to succeed, you must feed it a valid shader path. In Unity, 'Unlit' is a group consisting of four shaders, the one you're likely looking for is 'Unlit/Transparent'. Give that a try and see what happens.

Ergo, change the Shader entry from

'Shader = Unlit'

To

'Shader = Unlit/Transparent'

Edited by The White Guardian

9 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

The problem is the shader targeting.

INSTANTIATOR internally runs 'Shader.Find()' to target a shader, and for this to succeed, you must feed it a valid shader path. In Unity, 'Unlit' is a group consisting of four shaders, the one you're likely looking for is 'Unlit/Transparent'. Give that a try and see what happens.

Ergo, change the Shader entry from

'Shader = Unlit'

To

'Shader = Unlit/Transparent'

Ok, thank you.

Edited by Adstriduum

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just thought I should record it here that im working on adding ambient planet sounds to INSTANTIATOR. By that I mean that if you get within a certain distance of the planet, a certain sound starts playing. The altitude at which this occurs, the body around which it happens, and the sound will all be configurable. Below is the syntax i've worked out so far. Once it is done, i'd love for TheWhiteGuardian to integrate it into the main mod, but if that isn't possible I understand completely.

INSTANTIATOR
{
    LOCAL_AUDIO
    {
        Name = //unique name for the audio clip. no spaces
        Body = //any celestial body, use name not displayName
        audioPath = //path inside GameData to the audio file, use wav or ogg
        audioRadius = // at what altitude should the sound stop, in KSP units
    }
}

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.