[1.3.X] INSTANTIATOR

The White Guardian

I'm getting some weird problems while using the Billbord type.
When using timewarp, the image starts to slightly offset/rotate around the polar axis. 
The stronger the warp, the more it rotates
UVX4PEm.png
(Ignore that I have no idea how to use the scale parameter and also that crappy attempt at a stock corona substitute).    No timewarp

RnZcaNQ.png
High timewarp

The log isn't getting anything weird either

Edited by GrandProtectorDark

• 2 weeks later...

*heavy sigh*
It's me, again

The billboard object for Instatiator seems to be even more broken than it already is.

Should the billboard be between your position and a star behind the blackhole, then the game stars spaming this into the log

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

TimingFI threw during Update: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at FlightIntegrator.CalculateSunBodyFlux () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ModularFI.ModularFlightIntegrator.BaseFICalculateSunBodyFlux () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.SunBodyFlux (ModularFI.ModularFlightIntegrator flightIntegrator) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ModularFI.ModularFlightIntegrator.CalculateSunBodyFlux () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FlightIntegrator.ThermoPrecalculate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at FlightIntegrator.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ModularFI.ModularFlightIntegrator.TimedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at TimingFI.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

When I move my(or the stars) position, so the lens, no longer "occludes" the far away star, then the log returns to normal.

https://i.imgur.com/EiOumuL.mp4 (video of that logspam)

This bellow is my config. the Disk and lens object are almost identical except for the type. Disabling the lens object stopped the log spamming.

SCALED_OBJECT     This one works fine
    {
        Name =murphdisk
        Body = Murph
        Scale = 18000, 0.0001, 18000
        Shader = Unlit/Transparent
        Rotation = 0, 0, 0
        InvertNormals = false
        Texture = MurphSystem/instantiator/disk
        Type = Cube
        IgnoreLight = true
    }
    SCALED_OBJECT       This one doesn't for reason
    {
        Name = murphlens
        Body = Murph
        Scale = 69, 24, 0.0000000001
        Shader = Unlit/Transparent
        Rotation = 0, 0, 0
        InvertNormals = false
        Texture = MurphSystem/instantiator/lens
        Type = Billboard
        IgnoreLight = true
    }

I really, really hope you find your time to fix this issue. 

I'd wish I wouldn't need to post here as often, but I currently work intensely with instantiator objects, so I found another bug.
Instantiator objects in Scaled space get rendered infront of scatterer atmosphere rims. In GPO, You are far enough away from the disk, most of the time,to not notice that. But what with what I'm doing, it do gets quite obvious.
unknown.png
(Picture of a GPO planet which I shifted close enough to Oul'um to check if it is happening outside my mod too)

• 3 months later...
On 6/1/2018 at 10:48 PM, GrandProtectorDark said:

I'm getting some weird problems while using the Billbord type.
When using timewarp, the image starts to slightly offset/rotate around the polar axis. 

That's because of the billboard targeting method used by INSTANTIATOR currently: the same class responsible for keeping the star's corona pointed in the right direction. Sad to say but that class is complete krakens, with how it tends to jump around when doing stuff like looking at the star's poles. I'll write a replacement class for it that should not only fix this issue, but make billboards possible for non-stars as well.

On 6/23/2018 at 11:24 AM, GrandProtectorDark said:

Instantiator objects in Scaled space get rendered infront of scatterer atmosphere rims.

That's probably due to Unity's render queue system, with the INSTANTIATOR shaders having a higher render order than the Scatterer atmosphere.

This may require a bit of an exotic fix: if possible, I may have to adjust the materials for their queue id's to match those of the scatterer atmospheres. This way, Unity should draw them in the same order, and thus sort depending on camera distance.

Otherwise one will always be projected on top of the other. Can't guarantee that this will work as well as I hope it will, but I'll certainly do what I can.

Nice to see you are back.
Hearing that you are gonna look to further repair this mod is really good.

Also, a request, although of rather low priority. 
The Pulsar jet object from old instantiator was also a nice thing.
If you find the time after fixing the more important things in this mod. I'd wish for you to look if it would be possible to re-add that addition as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.