Unknown Resourcefulness 0.01 (2017/12/28) - An early work in progress assortment of parts.

USB4

Spoiler

JipwBaV.jpg

The goal of this is just to make parts that I have wanted that just may be useful to someone else.

Parts:

• 4 Variants of a 50 caliber long recoil machine gun. Why:
    • I like how long recoil guns look when they fire with the very visible mechanisms moving
    • I like low part count parts that combine multiple things together for quick assembly.

The four variants are wing mounted, wing mounted with a magazine, surface mounted (shrouded) with and without a magazine. This is not based on any real machine gun but the barrel and mechanisms are, I think, within reason as I tried to follow typical specs/barrel sizing while modeling. The magazines also hold what I measured to be a to scale amount of ammunition. For sound these use the base BDArmory sounds. This needs BDArmory to work

• 2 Variants of aesthetically different gun pods. Why:
    • I like low part count parts that combine multiple things together for quick assembly.
    • These may eventually become turrets

These very roughly follow realistic sizes (The barrels at least). They come with ammunition. (If you can guess, I made these before the previous ones.). This needs BDArmory to work

• 3 Variants of BDArmory Combination Command Boxes. Why:
    • To combine 3/4 frequently needed parts into one
    • To have to closest thing to  a laser I can make

These have AI flight modules, Weapon Management modules, Flight Command modules, Solar panels, Batteries Lights (lasers?!), Very Small Reaction Wheels Radios and Small RTGs. Its recommended to use 360 degrees of view for now. This needs BDArmory to work

• 1 Small Single Shaft 1 mode thrust direction changing turbojet fin (Based loosely on the TJ100(Tweakscalable)) Why:
    • Ive wanted a small drone sized jet engine that does not need anything but itself to produce thrust/steering. (Intake, directional thrust, fin, small fuel tank, engine included).

These are pretty small, so theyre great fun early stages, but youll want tweakscale to play around.

• 1 Electric Ducted fan ((Tweakscalable)). Why:
    • I like electric ducted fans, and wanted one I could tweak to feel more realistic and like the look of.

Both this and the mono prop engine use KAX sound assets.

• 1 Atmosphere breathing mono propellant powered 0.625/half size piston engine (Tweakscalable).  Why:
  • Single Piece Landing gear. (scalable) Why:

Thanks to Shadowmage for answering probably too many questions about this.

It uses KSPWheel as well as Kerbal Foundry sound assets.

• One Part y axis balanced dual wheel landing gear. Why:
    • To have a small steerable landing gear piece that has functional wheel colliders for each wheel, meaning a vehicle can be balanced on just 2 of them.

Outside of BDArmory parts, parts are on the techtree.

I decided to post this here, in addon releases, as Il probably never really "finish" it as basically Il just keep adding parts I want and I think ive basically hit all the major points I wanted to hit when starting. I think Il just  let the other thread die, or post more in depth info there.

Blog like "development" update thread with issues, planned changes and smaller updates I dont think warrant  a number change. (Quotations because its such a small mod relatively in the sea of kerbin).

Link to SpaceDock Download

Dependencies, recommended and included mods:

Included

Included

Not Included. Latest Downloads available from the official Github Releases page.

Recommended

License:

Spoiler

All Parts related to BD Armory are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic License.

Both KSP Wheel and Community Resource Pack, have their own licenses.

All Other Parts are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 Canada License.

Feedback is appreciated. Ive never done this before and am clueless. If anything is off, and you know how to make it better, Im open to advice.

Also thanks to Shadowmage  and Spannermonkey for their assistance with  KSPwheel and BDArmory Continued respectively. They've both been extremely helpful with questions, examples and advice. Also thanks to all others who have been helpful here and there.

Edited by USB4

A few questions about the wheels.

Are you able to use tweakscale on the dual wheel?

Is the box of wheels adjustable like the adjustable landing gear?

Is there plans to do a 2 gear version of the box of wheels? It would be perfect to use as a wing root/gearbox for larger planes.

The wheels on the box of wheels seem a little small. Are the wheels themselves adjustable?

18 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

A few questions about the wheels.

Are you able to use tweakscale on the dual wheel?

It uses KSPWheels built in scaling. It can scale up to 4x and down to 0.1x iirc. It scales carrying capacity/speed and all the other relevant ksp wheel attributes.

Is the box of wheels adjustable like the adjustable landing gear?

Unfortunately not. Maybe Il add this eventually (After finishing the current panned list). Just getting it to work was... an experience. This is the first time ive dabbled with modding after all ha ha. ShadowMage was a huge help in figuring it out.

Is there plans to do a 2 gear version of the box of wheels? It would be perfect to use as a wing root/gearbox for larger planes.

Do you mean  like a rectangular prism of a similar size with retractable gear (2 wheels only)? Currently no, but Im thinking of making something a bit like an all in one rover/plane root with gear/probe core. Il probably make a version of the box with 3 wheels (front steering) first though.

The wheels on the box of wheels seem a little small. Are the wheels themselves adjustable?

No. I dont actually think there is even a mechanism to do that by default. Thinking of how it might be possible, I could imagine having a generic animation that increases the mesh size and perhaps moves the physical model of the wheel, but that sounds like a lot more trouble than its worth over just making one with larger wheels even. The reason for the wheel size was really just that I wanted it to physically be able to fit inside the model without visibly clipping or having a ridiculously large housing.

4 hours ago, USB4 said:

It uses KSPWheels built in scaling. It can scale up to 4x and down to 0.1x iirc. It scales carrying capacity/speed and all the other relevant ksp wheel attributes.

Cool, I forgot you can rescale the wheels with KSP wheel. I haven't touched my modded game in awhile. Low height cargo planes here I come...

4 hours ago, USB4 said:

Do you mean  like a rectangular prism of a similar size with retractable gear (2 wheels only)? Currently no, but Im thinking of making something a bit like an all in one rover/plane root with gear/probe core. Il probably make a version of the box with 3 wheels (front steering) first though.

Ok, I was thinking along the lines of the center main gear of the Boeing 747 like the image in the spoiler. So one part can be used for main gear for larger crafts. The tricycle gear lay out would be cool to see. It would make it much easier to put together a modern style gear layout for smaller crafts. If you're suggesting something like a rovemate with build in wheels, that would be cool. No more struggling to fit everything you need on it plus trying to find places to add the wheels.

Spoiler

nuiLCTB.jpg

4 hours ago, USB4 said:

No. I dont actually think there is even a mechanism to do that by default. Thinking of how it might be possible, I could imagine having a generic animation that increases the mesh size and perhaps moves the physical model of the wheel, but that sounds like a lot more trouble than its worth over just making one with larger wheels even. The reason for the wheel size was really just that I wanted it to physically be able to fit inside the model without visibly clipping or having a ridiculously large housing.

I wasn't suggesting that any special scaling be done for them. They just look really small, or tiny compared to the 1.25 parts you're using to demonstrate the wheel box with.

3 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Ok, I was thinking along the lines of the center main gear of the Boeing 747 like the image in the spoiler. So one part can be used for main gear for larger crafts. The tricycle gear lay out would be cool to see. It would make it much easier to put together a modern style gear layout for smaller crafts. If you're suggesting something like a rovemate with build in wheels, that would be cool. No more struggling to fit everything you need on it plus trying to find places to add the wheels.

Reveal hidden contents

nuiLCTB.jpg

Yea, I generally like the idea of needing less parts.

As for the boeing, modeling something to look realistic to that level sounds somewhat daunting to me. The idea of ready made aircraft landing gears that are closer to the body like that does seem neat though. I actually started working on one thats more low profile even.

3 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

I wasn't suggesting that any special scaling be done for them. They just look really small, or tiny compared to the 1.25 parts you're using to demonstrate the wheel box with.

Oh.... I really probably should have demonstrated it at full scale.. That was scaled down and on a 0.625m body. Its full sized on the jets in the video though. The wheels are actually 8 cm in diameter iirc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.