Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

As the shadow of war falls over Kerbin, the VAB and SPH have become prime targets because of their advanced building capabilities. Therefore, only a month into the war, hardly a day goes by without the sound of explosions being heard coming from the airspace over the KSC. But now, the KSC has begun building and testing new planes to defend their airspace, waiting for the day that they have a respectable fleet.Now they have commissioned you to design the top-notch air superiority fighter.

Rules

1. This is a King of the Hill style battle. A roster of the top five aircraft is constantly maintained, with each new aircraft being tested from bottom to top. Fights are conducted on 1.3.1 with BDAc 1.0.0. This is subject to change whenever the next BDAC is released or the Public Beta is reliable. Aerodynamics are stock (no FAR.)

TEMP ADDENDUM: We will not proceed to upgrade to 1.4 until either 1 month after its release (April 6) or until the mods currently on the roster are updated (airplane plus, BDAc) for use with 1.4.

2. All testing is performed in 3v3 matches, best of 3. This means your aircraft may participate in as many as 15 fights before reaching the top. All fights have a start distance of 15km All fights are recorded on youtube.

2a. If any dogfight ends in a draw (all aircraft disabled), a single SUPER 8v8 deathmatch will decide the victor. This deathmatch surpasses the results of the 3v3.

2b. At no point can more aircraft be present on the tracker in BD Armory than what was originally placed on the runway. I.E. NO SWARMS!

3. You are welcome to submit a design as many times as you like, if you modify it. Please note your mods (fighter 2, fighter 2a, fighter mkII, fighter mark 2, fighter "somewordshere", fighter AUSF B).

4. Designs from before November 14, 2017 (the start date of this thread) are only permitted with my knowledge. Please do not submit your entire kerbalx folder (@dundun93).

5. Your designs may include any mods you like pertaining to fuel, aerodynamics and engines. Parts that include new weapons, shields or armor, ask me first (@exbyde).

5a. Use of Da Vinci Combat Kit (DCK) is not permitted due to in-game performance hits and jitteryness, and due to upcoming stealth systems introductions.

5b. I may ask for part removal based around mods that do not serve a combat purpose, or are not usable by BDAc. This includes Infernal robotics, Attachment systems, and ejection seat modifications.

5c. Mods that contain parts that introduce tactical advantages, such as radar invisibility, may be permitted if part of a larger package, but said parts are not.

6. The following weapons are permitted:

-Any fixed BD Armory weapons
-Any fixed Aviator Arsenal weapons
-The 105mm howitzer and Abrams turret from BD Armory (for kicks)

6a. The following weapons are banned:
-Turrets in BD Armory not mentioned above (USAF laser, .50 cal turret, Millenium turret, Goalkeeper CIWS, etc) and Aviator Arsenal (b-17 turret)
-any mods not mentioned here that pertain to weapons (ask me first!)

7. There is not a weapon limit. Any aircraft over 100 parts or 20 tons gets thrown into a "super" category for heavy fighters that lag my computer. Super fighters get 2v2 matches and their own roster.

8. Once you have submitted an aircraft, you may modify the file in KerbalX until the first test is run. No further mods can be run at that time. You are welcome to remove aircraft before testing (if you build something better and don't want to waste my time, thank you). Once an aircraft has made roster, it cannot be removed from the roster by administrative action and will continue to test, for fairness to other competitors.

8a. Aircraft designers are solely responsible for the modification of their aircraft. Do not ask me to modify your aircraft for you.

9. All dogfights are run by BDAC AI. Testing your aircraft against other competitors in AI only dogfights is not only allowed but encouraged. I want to see your craft on the roster as much as you do!

10. There is an honorable mention list! This is for unique aircraft that did not rank, or aircraft that have since been surpassed. Check it out!

11. There is a 24hr penalty on testing if you ask me if you've tested your aircraft yet if i have not gotten to it in the roster.

12. All aircraft must have either a manned cockpit, 100 units of batteries, or enough RTGs to maintain drone core operations for 15 minutes.

13. In the interest in allowing newer designers to be competitive, all aircraft must be modified solely within KSP. Any text editing after 1/22/18 is strictly prohibited and will result in elimination by nuclear weapon, barring i can get North Kerbin Dynamics working (looking at you and that BDAc Beta requirement @harpwner, awesome mod btw) 

14. Rule 2.2g of forum rules (and all other rules obv) applies here! You may not use vulgarity in any language. This includes in the name of your aircraft. If i can throw the name of your aircraft into Google translate and it becomes something vulgar, it will be disqualified.

15. Have fun

16. Tell your friends!

17. Don't get eliminated!

SUPER CLASS RULES PREVIEW:

Spoiler

1. Aircraft will face off in 2v2 battles, KOTH style. There will be a five-craft roster. To advance to the top of the roster, your aircraft has to beat the 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st in that order.

2. All fights start at 15km. All-land fights may originate from the KSC runway, any fights involving seaplanes will start with a 30km separation (one air wing placed near KSC, other air wing by the island air base.

3. ONLY aircraft with 100-200 parts or a takeoff weight beyond 20 tons may participate. there is no upper weight limit

4. Aircraft are expected to have a certain level of agility. As such, any aircraft with a max speed set to over 400m/s will be disqualified for running. Aircraft will also be disqualified if their aircraft gets within, then exceeds 7.5km from the nearest enemy aircraft.

5. No more than the specified number of aircraft can take off. Parasite aircraft are permitted after takeoff. Par

6. The weapons availability is the same as in the regular battle. Usage of heavy weapons like cannons is permitted. ONE SAM turret is permitted. turrets with weapons under 100mm are not. This includes lasers. 

7. You must have a pilot on each aircraft before takeoff. This restriction is lifted after takeoff.

7a. until January 10, 2017, you may submit unmanned designs, but they must be able to stay on the ground for as long as 15 minutes engines off.

8. All dogfights are flown by BDAI pilot.

9. Testers cannot modify your aircraft in any way, other than name for giggles. TEST YOUR AIRCRAFT BEFORE SUBMISSION IN BD ARMORY.

10. Keep clipping reasonable. Enforcement of this rule is at my discretion.

special thanks to @HeroBrian_333 for starting this thread.

Afternote: If you are interested in one of these using FAR, check out @Mukita12's challenge below.

If you want to see 40 pages of dogfights (where this is continued from)

Edited by exbyde

Top Five:

Unlimited

Place Creator Craft Name # of Mods (excluding BDA)
1  @dundun93 TFD Mod A 1(Airplane Plus)
2 @goduranus Rabid Squirrel 1(The loudest engines possible)
5 @Box of Stardust Cylon Viper 0
4 @dundun92 DU-3 1(Airplane Plus)
5 @ZLM-Master

Dassault Rafale

1(Airplane Plus)

Super

Place Creator Craft Name # of Mods (excluding BDA)
1 @Eidahlil Drone Princess 0
2   Blastoise 0

Honorable Mentions:

Best looking: @FleshJeb's Thwop Thwop (helicopter)

All in one trip (largest payload): @drtricky's AB-17 Moses

Speed Demon: @Eidahlil's Monstron

HE WAS NUMBER ONE (original #1 roster fighter): @Thor Wotansen's Bryntroll

Most Maneuverable: @Eidahlil's Dronblast

When Pigs Fly (most outrageous): @Eidahlil's Flying Tank

Butterfly Effect (small changes, large performance boost) @Abraxis DN-65c

Splash 3 (vicious kills, low power): @NotAnAimbot's Novi

Jet Fuel Jihad (most colateral damage to KSC): @53miner53's Fighter 3 mk1

Chicks dig giant robots : @Plane Crazy's D.A.K.K.A

WHAT! I CANT HEAR YOU: @dundun93's TFD Mod A

Shoot to thrill (Fastest fighter sweep, 22s vs Pike Clamped): @dundun92's DU-3

Pontius Pilot (literally a flying crucifix): @goduranus Crusader

Instructions unclear (flying ceiling fan, most unique, mods by Eidahlil): Eidahlil's Cookie

I've got you now: @SuicidalInsanity's Tie Fighter

Edited by exbyde

RESERVED POST:

this is just for any notes/ recent changes. The current list of aircraft waiting for testing are:

1. @[INDO]dimas_1502 F-22n Sea Raptor hold for infernal robotics requirements
  2. @Wolf5698 Alpha
  3. @Wolf5698 Micro Fighter
  4. @Joseph Kerman F-1 Tiger
  5. @Box of Stardust PEGASys D1
  6. @l0kki's cake

Super competitors:

1. @DiscoveryPlanet PAK-FA (i think technically that's now the MiG-57) (SUPER)
  2. @53miner53 F3mk2 Hive Mind Drone Ship SUPER!

thank you for the updates @Eidahlil and @SuicidalInsanity!! Much appreciated!

If you do NOT see your name on this list and have submitted a design, please mention it to me. 

QUE PAGE:41

Edited by exbyde
2/25 i'm lazy lol

12 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

An updated IV-1 to deal with the Novi=

https://kerbalx.com/dundun92/IV-1b

IGNORE THE C! IT DOESNT WORK RIGHT NOW!

It doesnt matter as you are over the part limit (rule 7). Youd be facing the monstron, not the Novi.

4 minutes ago, dundun93 said:

Cool but you are banned for 21 days ill put it on the queue behind the tank

20 minutes ago, exbyde said:

It doesnt matter as you are over the part limit (rule 7). Youd be facing the monstron, not the Novi.

Cool but you are banned for 21 days ill put it on the queue behind the tank

Wha... oh.

1 minute ago, exbyde said:

150 parts is absolutely excessive for an air superiority fighter. Try to cut it under 100

I have 16RTGs, 8 batteries and 12 vulcans... To power 3 jammers. Then tomorrow, I will try to reduce the count to less than 100 parts. Probably by eliminating some RTGs.

46 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

I have 16RTGs, 8 batteries and 12 vulcans... To power 3 jammers. Then tomorrow, I will try to reduce the count to less than 100 parts. Probably by eliminating some RTGs.

12 vulcans with ammo, 12 missiles, 3 jammers, 16RTGs...i mean its probably impressive but maybe a few less...everyrhing? And larger batteries? Or another engine...or?

b73.png

Edited by exbyde

1 hour ago, exbyde said:

12 vulcans with ammo, 12 missiles, 3 jammers, 16RTGs...i mean its probably impressive but maybe a few less...everyrhing? And larger batteries? Or another engine...or?

b73.png

I already added another engine (its probably a cheese plane by now :P) I can reduce everything but the vulcans. I NEED those!

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, dundun92 said:

I already added another engine (its probably a cheese plane by now :P) I can reduce everything but the vulcans. I NEED those!

i think you hit cheese plane at 12 vulcans and 12 AIM-120s. You could fit that onto a glider with a pair of separatrons and it would be a cheese plane.

1 hour ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

I return, with an upgraded take on an old classic, the new and improved X-02 Taisch B.

Awesome, lets see if we can get it up on the leaderboards

Alright, and for our first battle of the new thread, we will be testing the furthest thing from a fighter aircraft on the "TBT" list, @Eidahlil's freakin cheese tank. It looks like a normal tank, except its packing two guns...and three jet engines.  Before you ask, it does not, in fact, qualify as a SUPER, at 18 tons and 78 parts, but something tells me that was all in the plan. It's the most surreal thing you will see tonight, and before you ask, it does land kills. Its fighting against our current No.5, the DN-65ES. Lets watch:

Yeah...this was predictable but freakin surreal to watch. Eidahlil gets an honorable mention as "When Pigs Fly", a testament to his outrageous design, but unfortunately not another spot on the roster.

6 hours ago, kittenshark134 said:

Here's a fighter I made that recently fought in (and won an episode of) Tape's Fighter Jet Showdown.

https://kerbalx.com/kittenshark134/F-19-D-Sparrowdart

i'll add it to the queue. thanks!

3 hours ago, aleksey444 said:

Can we use BDModularMissileParts?

There are only two missiles now, AIM-120 and AIM-9.  This could add some variety.

lets say yes unless it proves too op.

15 minutes ago, exbyde said:

You're welcome to volunteer. I am pretty busy today

This is my concern in using bdmmp: you can make an airplane-transportable missile that can destroy the whole KSC... imagine that for enemy airplanes. 

11 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

This is my concern in using bdmmp: you can make an airplane-transportable missile that can destroy the whole KSC... imagine that for enemy airplanes. 

Thats a stock BDA part. Part limit is going to hit him pretty hard if every missile has 10 or so parts. I wouldnt be concerned unless he put the nuclear weapon mod in his build. Which is not being allowed.

Edited by exbyde

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.