Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

4 hours ago, exbyde said:

The novi was quite aggressive, and always exceeded my expectations. Would love to see a revised version (especially one that didn't teamkill with AIM-9s) or something new if you felt like it.

I'll do that when I come home from my trip next week. Probably a modifed NovII with some aim 120s and more guns to fit the thread's meta or an upgraded f-25

Also yea the dn-55 is the ultimate end of my theory

Edited by NotAnAimbot

8 hours ago, dundun92 said:

It worked when I did it... 5 times. anyways, I will submit a revised design friday.

8 hours ago, exbyde said:

I'd say it was a failure on Vessel Mover if it didn't also happen to the first aircraft, so i don't know what to tell you.

It's definitely Vessel Mover. When craft are spawned from the runway, the AI pilot will drop the trolley when it's quite a bit in the air, when it's spawned with Vessel Mover, the AI will drop the trolley when it's the tiniest bit (like 2mm) in the air. Test with both to make sure it can lift off. This came up with my Pike. :)

8 hours ago, exbyde said:

While the Blastoise is over gross for regular fights at 23 tons, i forgot to check and thus let it slide. However, the Lancer still creamed it, 6-0. The aircraft defaulted to its Vulcans over its turrets, and thus never fired a round.

My money is on the Blastoise leaving the turrets on default engagement options, which are, unsurprisingly, fire at ground targets only.

1 hour ago, Eidahlil said:

It's definitely Vessel Mover. When craft are spawned from the runway, the AI pilot will drop the trolley when it's quite a bit in the air, when it's spawned with Vessel Mover, the AI will drop the trolley when it's the tiniest bit (like 2mm) in the air. Test with both to make sure it can lift off. This came up with my Pike. :)

but both the aircraft placed on the runway by the stock game and the two vessel mover aircraft did this, which is why i said its not vessel mover. Of the three aircraft, all three crashed.

1 hour ago, Eidahlil said:

My money is on the Blastoise leaving the turrets on default engagement options, which are, unsurprisingly, fire at ground targets only.

The blastoise came to me with autopilot and guard mode enabled on staging. on the first try the abrams immediately smacked down a lancer. So i'd aggree. But it's really a moot point as the aircraft is three tons over gross for this, and would have to go against monstron.

Okay, so to answer a few questions:
@Plane Crazy your aircraft (blastoise) failed to use its cannons because both the radial mount guns and the abrams turrets were set to ground attack. If you wish to participate, please drop a few tons (maybe the radial mount guns?) and modify your turret settings to shoot air and not ground.

@dundun92 the IV-3 did not have separatrons active on the gear retract. Instead they were only present when staged. Maybe you were testing an auto-saved ship with that setting in place?

@dundun93 forgot to mention yesterday: Take a note from the engine selections your brother made (afterburner helps a lot) and you either need more inlets or less aggressive handling, you had at least one aircraft flatspin yesterday due to engine flameout

1 hour ago, l0kki said:

https://kerbalx.com/l0kki/WunderWaffle-IV

I am back

to fail again xdddd

good to see you back! Testing is going to be a little light to nonexistent tonight, i need to send out some resumes, but it should be tested by tomorrow evening.

12 hours ago, Abraxis said:

https://kerbalx.com/Abraxis/DN-55E

meme sandwich

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

10 hours ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Also yea the dn-55 is the ultimate end of my theory

I couldn't get a consistent enough result on takeoffs to figure out what you were trying to do (sometimes one wing shears, sometimes both bottom wings shear, sometimes neither wing shears). Please install landing gear or removable trolley. like all other contestants.

Edited by exbyde

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

That DN-55 is.........interesting..

Reminds me of the pachy's cockpit only form...someone should resub that cockpit only , maybe with one of the aviator arsenal drop tanks

Edited by exbyde

2 hours ago, exbyde said:

Okay, so to answer a few questions:
@Plane Crazy your aircraft (blastoise) failed to use its cannons because both the radial mount guns and the abrams turrets were set to ground attack. If you wish to participate, please drop a few tons (maybe the radial mount guns?) and modify your turret settings to shoot air and not ground.

@dundun92 the IV-3 did not have separatrons active on the gear retract. Instead they were only present when staged. Maybe you were testing an auto-saved ship with that setting in place?

@dundun93 forgot to mention yesterday: Take a note from the engine selections your brother made (afterburner helps a lot) and you either need more inlets or less aggressive handling, you had at least one aircraft flatspin yesterday due to engine flameout

good to see you back! Testing is going to be a little light to nonexistent tonight, i need to send out some resumes, but it should be tested by tomorrow evening.

Im almost positive I did upload the non-autosave, but the revised version will dispense with the seperatrons. It will use an upward-angled cart.

1 hour ago, dundun92 said:

your aircraft (blastoise) failed to use its cannons because both the radial mount guns and the abrams turrets were set to ground attack. If you wish to participate, please drop a few tons (maybe the radial mount guns?) and modify your turret settings to shoot air and not ground.

I've dropped the required mass, but I can't figure out how to set my turrets to air attack.  They worked fine when I was testing, and shot down multiple aircraft.

34 minutes ago, Eidahlil said:

Sharpen yer pitchforks and banhammers, because I have just researched a new technology. :D

Are those...........MK3 parts?

What apocalyptic horror is this? :o:D

Still, 100 parts and less than 20 tons....seems like it could work .-.

It's a pretty big target though, which doesn't help :P

4 hours ago, dundun92 said:

And I just realized, this is the second competition that the Fighter 3 hit the VAB... lol.

Wait really?

3 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

Sharpen yer pitchforks and banhammers, because I have just researched a new technology. :D

http://kerbalx.com/juzeris/Hive-Princess.craft

I don't think this should be an entry, but it is still rather nifty, no? :)

screenshot227.png

Probably flies better than the og blastoise. Submit it my dude.

2 hours ago, Plane Crazy said:

The Blastoise has been updated.  Built in the latest versions of KSP and BDArmory.  <20 tons and the turrets should target aircraft now.  Also removed action groups if that makes it easier.

It would honestly make things easier if it didnt go on seek and destroy as soon as you hit the space bar, but that works too. Thanks!

Edited by exbyde

3 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Probably flies better than the og blastoise. Submit it my dude.

Well, then consider it submitted, but it, uh, employs some unorthodox tactics. My guess is it'll either fail spectacularly or warrant the banhammer. :D

1v1 it mostly works. 3v3... it works sometimes. Other times the AI glitches out and all the craft start spinning. I guess I'm doing stuff which was never meant to be done. :D

10 minutes ago, Eidahlil said:

Well, then consider it submitted, but it, uh, employs some unorthodox tactics. My guess is it'll either fail spectacularly or warrant the banhammer. :D

1v1 it mostly works. 3v3... it works sometimes. Other times the AI glitches out and all the craft start spinning. I guess I'm doing stuff which was never meant to be done. :D

Pioneers and lunatics are more commonly sorted by time.

5 minutes ago, Plane Crazy said:

Are launch sleds allowed?  And if so, are they factored in with part count and mass?

Yes they are allowed. Craft that should be using launch sleds are usually so small that the weight of landing gear is a penalty. That being said, launch sleds are usually counted for parts, as they do tend to remain on station. You could also make a seaplane fighter if takeoffs are an issue (hint, @Abraxis dn55)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.