Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

9 hours ago, dundun92 said:

If you were referring to your own aircraft,  you have a 24hr delay, right @exbyde?

11. There is a 24hr penalty on testing if you ask me if you've tested your aircraft yet if i have not gotten to it in the roster.

believe @dundun93 also has asked before about if i'm doing dogfights.

3 hours ago, dundun93 said:

Your new computer arrived today?!?

Parts showed up today, just got done with the build short the sidepanels. Turns on, but doesn't have 10 on it yet. Dogfights will resume after the new rig is set up. Considering how single-thread CPU intensive KSP is, and that this processor is #3 on the list for single core performance (wasnt going to buy a k, i'll start a patreon if you ever feel like buying me that sweet 3% performance boost :P), should see a pretty massive improvement in framerates.

Edited by exbyde

32 minutes ago, exbyde said:

11. There is a 24hr penalty on testing if you ask me if you've tested your aircraft yet if i have not gotten to it in the roster.

believe @dundun93 also has asked before about if i'm doing dogfights.

Parts showed up today, just got done with the build short the sidepanels. Turns on, but doesn't have 10 on it yet. Dogfights will resume after the new rig is set up. Considering how single-thread CPU intensive KSP is, and that this processor is #3 on the list for single core performance (wasnt going to buy a k, i'll start a patreon if you ever feel like buying me that sweet 3% performance boost :P), should see a pretty massive improvement in framerates.

How much did it cost?

9 hours ago, dundun93 said:

How much did it cost?

$799 for all but the GPU, which i'm pulling from my current Xeon (gtx 970). R/buildapcsales saved me a good bit on the power supply and the NAND m.2. Once i sell me Xeon rig i'll probably be in it like $2-300. 

1 minute ago, exbyde said:

$799 for all but the GPU, which i'm pulling from my current Xeon (gtx 970). R/buildapcsales saved me a good bit on the power supply and the NAND m.2. Once i sell me Xeon rig i'll probably be in it like $2-300. 

Hm

My potato cost 500. Which makes me think I might have been ripped off, even though it was bought in Staples...

Just now, Earthlinger said:

Hm

My potato cost 500. Which makes me think I might have been ripped off, even though it was bought in Staples...

Your potato was pre-assembled and included a windows 10 key. Mine i built myself from parts i found discounted, and the cost doesn't include the currently $200 used GTX 970, or a 10 key i'll probably get on Kinguin because i'm cheap. Also i didn't get RGB lighting because i'm not a fan of the gay pride parade in a box look and that adds a good 30% to the price. Got a cooler master 3.1, all black parts, and i might get some red LED fans for the case.

2 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Your potato was pre-assembled and included a windows 10 key. Mine i built myself from parts i found discounted, and the cost doesn't include the currently $200 used GTX 970, or a 10 key i'll probably get on Kinguin because i'm cheap. Also i didn't get RGB lighting because i'm not a fan of the gay pride parade in a box look and that adds a good 30% to the price. Got a cooler master 3.1, all black parts, and i might get some red LED fans for the case.

Ah. Righto

7 minutes ago, exbyde said:

What kind of specs does your potato have anyways?

Heh. Not too sure - I'm no computer expert, so I'll just quote the stats and see if they're relevant :D

-AMD A8-7200P (processor)

-Quad Core x4

-8 GB of RAM (only 6.9 are usable)

-8 compute cores (4 CPU + 4 GPU)

-2.40 GHz

It's more than enough for everything I do except KSP :D

Edited by Earthlinger

19 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Heh. Not too sure - I'm no computer expert, so I'll just quote the stats and see if they're relevant :D

-AMD A8-7200P (processor)

-Quad Core x4

-8 GB of RAM (only 6.9 are usable)

-8 compute cores (4 CPU + 4 GPU)

-2.40 GHz

It's more than enough for everything I do except KSP :D

Ah, thats why. KSP is really single core intensive, so its only using one bit of the processor at the time. AMD's strongsuit is throwing cores at the problem instead of boosting single core, so that performs about as well as a 1st gen Core i5 (circa 2010). My xeon rig has about 50% better performance than that, and my laptop (when it doesnt thermal throttle from sitting on my lap) has about double. This build has about 2.6x the single core performance before microsoft nerfs the processor (thanks meltdown/spectre). New rig currently has 8, probably will up to 16gb ram, but 8 is plenty for KSP. ARK however...

Edited by exbyde

2 hours ago, Thor Wotansen said:

Hehehe, my potato is potatoier than yours.  Core i3 with 8GB ram and whatever built in GPU you get with a $400 Dell Inspiron.  Curse my love of oversized SSTOs! 

Eh maybe. What i3?

1 hour ago, 53miner53 said:

Mine is i5-5200U with 8GB of RAM and integrated graphics. Interesting that Geekbench scores my phone and my laptop with almost the same single and multi core scores. If only I had KSP on iOS. 

They don't use the same scoring pool, i don't believe. Hard to compare ARM to Intel, since they run different instruction sets. Still, that's pretty decent.

39 minutes ago, kittenshark134 said:

@exbyde  I have fixed the F-19-D and updated the KerbalX page.  Rerooting to the fuel tank fixed the problem.  https://kerbalx.com/kittenshark134/F-19-D-Sparrowdart

Sweet, i'll update the queueue...eventually. Should be dogfighting tonight

Edited by exbyde

2 hours ago, 53miner53 said:

Mine is i5-5200U with 8GB of RAM and integrated graphics. Interesting that Geekbench scores my phone and my laptop with almost the same single and multi core scores. If only I had KSP on iOS. 

Intel graphics is usually not as good as AMD or NVIDA, but if it works for you, it's just fine.

1 hour ago, exbyde said:

Sweet, i'll update the queueue...eventually.

For convenience, the current queue is:
[INDO]dimas_1502's Nutbuster
53Miner53's P-2 Accelerator
Abraxis' DN-55E
Suicidalinsanity's Delphinus R-III
I0kki's Wunderwaffle 4
Eidahill's Hive Princess (honorary admission to standard bracket, then sent to SUPER bracket)
Plane Crazy's Blastoise II
goduranus' Flying Squirrel
Plane Crazy's DAKKA
dundun92's IV3-c
dundun93's TFD
Thor Wotansen's Sanngrior Mk2
kittenshark134's F-19-D sparrowdart

Edited by SuicidalInsanity

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.