Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

After the engineers at MAD Ltd. complained that the fighters in the competition were "nothing more than cockpits with engines", they designed (see: employment/lives threatened) the X-59.

They have also stated that if this craft fails to qualify, they are only participating in the Super category, where their "skills" are more honed.

https://kerbalx.com/AlexClark/X-59

51 minutes ago, goduranus said:

Maybe I can withdraw the previous one and have the new plane fight its way up the ladder so the leaderboard won't have two of my planes?

how about this: we'll give the rabid squirrel a full test. If it surpasses the flying squirrel, we'll drop it from the rank boards

51 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

This is my latest work in the destruction of all your hopes and dreams.

rDVvg3h.png

Sadly, however, my potato computer can't seem to handle a 3v3 fight.  Are any of you willing to do a test fight for me?

Always, thor, what do you want me to test it against?

36 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

@exbyde I notice you practically live in this thread. You should explore the rest of the forum more :wink:

no this is my safe space. JK, i used to work with the zokesia skunkworks page before they sort of vanished or were banished, not sure, i think the page got kicked for roleplaying or someone noticed i made a model of Dr. Evil's rocket. Also some of my file upload sites got trashcanned so i can't find my old models (thanks mods!) Considering i now have a computer that doesn't banish me to the red zone on the timer at over 150 parts i probably should be doing something alongside of this, though i am the only person that seems to be running contest fights, and the dunduns may get a little anxious if i can't keep up with their shenanigans

32 minutes ago, AlexClark said:

After the engineers at MAD Ltd. complained that the fighters in the competition were "nothing more than cockpits with engines", they designed (see: employment/lives threatened) the X-59.

They have also stated that if this craft fails to qualify, they are only participating in the Super category, where their "skills" are more honed.

https://kerbalx.com/AlexClark/X-59

lmao i'll give it a shot.

27 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

Ok, the Bear can be found here.  Don't let it hug you.

sweet, thanks for the more manageable name!

Edited by exbyde

The large and heavy Bear was no match for the nimble Squirrel, with Squirrel winning 3-0. Also the Bear used medium landing gear the makes the plane jump when the game is loaded, so I only ran one match:

gGjm1Nu.jpg

1fqjnM9.jpg

Edited by goduranus

5 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

@goduranus did you encounter any problems with the AIM 9s not firing or any other weird things?  My computer was running the fights at 1/4 speed at best, a lot less than that with missiles in the air.  I don't think the commands were working at those speeds.

Just now, goduranus said:

@Thor WotansenI don't think I saw them firing missile. But maybe they didn't get a lock.

Probably needs to be tested against something a bit larger, like the DN-65c or Mini Val. That or we may need to look at manned/unmanned categories due to size differences.

I see, I designed the system to work with the fights starting at 15,000m.  The AIM 9s should have gone off between 6500 and 4500m, if your plane is tiny then the AIM 120s might not have fired but any plane with a larger radar signature should have been fired on  by the AIM 120s and the AIM 9s.

That seems exceedingly strange.  In 1v1's vs the Sanngrior Mk 2 I was seeing it on the radar at around 8km, but apparently in a 3v3 there is no radar contacts?  Are you using BDArmory 1.0 or 1.1?

@exbyde if you are willing to test it, would you mind running a few 3v3s just to see if the missiles fire and whatnot?

Edited by Thor Wotansen

2 minutes ago, Thor Wotansen said:

That seems exceedingly strange.  In 1v1's vs the Sanngrior Mk 2 I was seeing it on the radar at around 8km, but apparently in a 3v3 there is no radar contacts?  Are you using BDArmory 1.0 or 1.1?

@exbyde if you are willing to test it, would you mind running a few 3v3s just to see if the missiles fire and whatnot?

sure will just be a bit, heading out to lunch.

Just now, Frozen_Heart said:

Going to dig out one of my old fighters and submit it. Hopefully it is the latest version.

Will need a few tweaks like the battery units. I was just using the engine to generate power.

This is 1.0 bda (the one with stealth), not the 1.1 beta, and i test on 1.3.1 64-bit. Feel free to test some of your fighters against the list of roster aircraft ahead of time!

14 minutes ago, Frozen_Heart said:

Looks like my fighters are not even close to good enough. The mini val flattens them. 

They don't even get a chance to fire.

Do you want me to look one over? I can probably offer some decent tips on maneuverability...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.