Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

28 minutes ago, Abraxis said:

But what makes mine super while Eidahill's is not? Don't we all have wildly differing definitions of how much is editing too much?

Eidahlil tweaked the AI settings to make the craft take advantage of their capabilities. What you are suggesting below is that we make craft 'better' simply by giving the engines impossible amounts of thrust, or making weapons fire at unrealistic rates with unrealistic damage, or whatever.

@exbyde decides, I'm just stating my opinion

11 hours ago, Abraxis said:

100x engine thrust plane

Alrighty, here's a version of the Pike in which I'm pretty sure I've set the values to what can be set in the SPH. In my tests it wins about 50:50 against the old Pike.

https://kerbalx.com/juzeris/Pike-Clamped

I don't think there's a noticeable difference in performance, but I'm all for testing it out.

13 hours ago, goduranus said:

Do you mean what is technically possible? or what we should submit for the thread?  Text editing allows you to give an engine more thrust and use no fuel, give SAS modules more torque and your batteries more electricity. So you could potentially build a craft with much higher thrust to weight ratio and faster steering. You can also edit the alignment of guns so they line up perfectly instead of being very slightly off when you attach them to curved surfaces. With BDArmory, you can influence of the autopilot logic and change various AI settings, like how much to lead missile launches and how far away to launch them from and how often to check for weapon switches.

13 hours ago, Abraxis said:

that's right
100x engine thrust plane
can we do it
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

[EDITED]There's a difference between cfg editing and save file editing, but turns out, it's less than I thought before writing this post. Pretty sure you can only edit the isPersistent=true fields in a save file. But it turns out there are plenty of important ones. You can increase the engine gimbal and thrust limiter over 100, which makes it crazy powerful and able to fire sideways. Why didn't I think to try that before. You can also increase the torque limiter on SAS.

There are also shenanigans which can make parts have more resources than they should, which saves you the weight and drag of a tank (the resource still weighs normally). Incidentally, I learned that last part from a craft in this thread. I don't think it was foul play, just some mod doing it's thing without the builder realizing, so no names. Didn't use it here, because, imho, that would be cheating. I'll think about it for the super category though. :P

You can already set the guns straight. Press F to toggle absolute rotation, turn on angle snap, and it will set itself straight.

You can also offset parts wherever you want, just hold shift.

As for the BDA settings, most of them don't make a difference as far as I've noticed (doesn't stop me from trying, but I can stop, if you'd like that). The scanInterval DOES make a difference however. A small one, but it's there. Then again, I'm pretty sure my craft ain't the only ones which have it modified, so I thought that was fine.

15 hours ago, exbyde said:

@Eidahlil I cannot fully disclose my displeasure for the flying sunfish you have created due to the rules of offensive language on this forum. There is no reason this aircraft, this conglomeration of one of the weakest, most inappropriate for combat engines in KSC's inventory, wing strakes, and sidewinders should have any place on this board. It's not capable of actually flying to its waypoint at first start, instead opting to circle the KSC randomly until i reset the combat. Its strongsuit is throwing missiles like a pedophile at a childrens parade. But somehow it's dethroned @kittenshark134's F-19d. I really don't think there's an aircraft i've rooted for less than this flying meme.

Sorry. Just kill it. Kill it with fire. (And by that I mean remove it from the competition.)

Also, I have no idea why it doesn't fly where it's supposed to. Maybe that's just because it's a sunfish.

EDIT: So, after some tests, I'd actually probably be for banning craft file editing. Soooo much you can do there. :D

Edited by Eidahlil

1 minute ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

What?!?!?! I didn't realize it was this popular! Thank you @exbyde for carrying on the legacy!

It's, like, the fastest-growing thread right now lol

We have some slight issues with, er, people trying to stay competitive through....unorthodox ways, but... :D

Alright, after some slight modifications, (see: beating engineers with bamboo canes) the X-59-B is ready to enter. With air intakes...and some other...stuff.

https://kerbalx.com/AlexClark/X-59-B

17 hours ago, exbyde said:

You did, if used properly, a lot of missiles isn't a horrible thing. You had your missiles set to one per target, i would have expected...what, like six with that kind of weapons loadout? Would be great if set up for routing until you got to the drones/low profile stuff. Your aircraft got hit hard by missiles because its ECM/CHAFF systems were not up to snuff, and you gave up maneuverability by using a non-vectoring engine.

My points still stand, you could have used more thrust or less weight, and 25% of your aircraft weight was missiles which may as well have been on static display. Watch the videos and figure out what you need to change from that.

The Tomcat II was modified to better compete, but I'm happier with the X-59-B for this competition.

2 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

What?!?!?! I didn't realize it was this popular! Thank you @exbyde for carrying on the legacy!

Hey thanks for letting me continue things!

2 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

It's, like, the fastest-growing thread right now lol

We have some slight issues with, er, people trying to stay competitive through....unorthodox ways, but... :D

Thats to be expected. 

13 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

Uhh @exbyde... it is super. 102 parts.

Then @l0kki get rid of two parts or it tests against the drone queen in the super category

3 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

There are also shenanigans which can make parts have more resources than they should, which saves you the weight and drag of a tank (the resource still weighs normally). Incidentally, I learned that last part from a craft in this thread.

You can do some really cool stuff by setting an engine's fuel consumption to be negative--there's actually a thread on here in which they made an "Epstein drive" from a Netflix series by having a spider engine regenerate fuel to power a vector :D

8 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Hello! You were the one who was always complaining about something lol. :wink:

Not anymore.:wink: I've been stopped with that! 

@Avera9eJoe, how do you like my TFD Drone?

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, Abraxis said:

You can do some really cool stuff by setting an engine's fuel consumption to be negative--there's actually a thread on here in which they made an "Epstein drive" from a Netflix series by having a spider engine regenerate fuel to power a vector :D

That would be me:P my Kerbalx also has a fighter with infinite fuel 10x thrust and 20x SAS torque and can fly backwards.

1 hour ago, goduranus said:

Behold! This discussion inspired a new jet fighter!

He will make your server Christian again! :cool:

https://kerbalx.com/goduranus/Crusader

SI3p3x7.jpg

dis gon b gud.

Sorry about the inactivity lately folks, my energy has kind of been focused on replacing my car, old one blew a head gasket, 1200 bucks to fix, or exactly the top of the KBB value. All is resolved though, got a new car today, and hopefully i'll have a purge day like SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! when i can do a bunch of fights(good timing for the Jesus reigns fighter too)

And thank you all for making this thread the success it has been, and will continue to be!

Edited by exbyde

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.