Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

17 minutes ago, prgmTrouble said:

Yep!

And they do exactly what struts do, right?

I've been using KJR for so long, I've never had to worry about parts flopping over the place...

@exbyde I've updated the KerbalX pages for both my entries. Thank goodness for EEX 'all rigid' toggle.

Edited by Box of Stardust

6 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

Not sure. Spectator effects on combatants still elude me.

I'll use an observer aircraft for assured unbiased testing when I test, if I feel that I need to.

6 hours ago, GillyMonster said:

I noticed testing a couple of mine, if you switch to a different aircraft the rocking one will almost immediately turn around and be aggressive again.

Yeah, there are quite a few observer effects, such as bullets moving together with the selected vessel (hard to spot), bullets teleporting "randomly" occasionally and pilots extending forever. An observer aircraft doesn't really stop them from happening, if you want a truly unbiased testing, you'll have to use a landed/splashed observer craft.

Note this is because of KSP reasons, not because of BDA reasons, but a workaround should still happen someday. Hopefully with next BDA release, as a probable fix is already in the dev builds.

Edited by Eidahlil

3 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

Yeah, there are quite a few observer effects, such as bullets moving together with the selected vessel (hard to spot), bullets teleporting "randomly" occasionally and pilots extending forever. An observer aircraft doesn't really stop them from happening, if you want a truly unbiased testing, you'll have to use a landed/splashed observer craft.

Note this is because of KSP reasons, not because of BDA reasons, but a workaround should still happen someday. Hopefully with next BDA release, as a probable fix is already in the dev builds.

Hm, can you explain what the difference is between a non-BD flying observer and a landed/splashed one? Just curious. 

Oh my ^^ My resurect Raffale make some shoots :wink: Maybe i should tweak it a bit more for better ressult !

Don't know why but it won't shoot any missiles , so that's why i focused on the vulcan ability .

Btw , thx for all your uploads , that cost me an hour for a single one ^^ Some intersting crafts here & there , In a haste to watch more .

Nice day on Kerbin !

1 hour ago, ZLM-Master said:

Oh my ^^ My resurect Raffale make some shoots :wink: Maybe i should tweak it a bit more for better ressult !

Don't know why but it won't shoot any missiles , so that's why i focused on the vulcan ability .

Btw , thx for all your uploads , that cost me an hour for a single one ^^ Some intersting crafts here & there , In a haste to watch more .

Nice day on Kerbin !

Missiles were useful on aircraft competing before the new bdac introduced radar crossection and people started making planes to conceal it and IR. Your aircraft being a sniper gives it quite an advantage, though the deathfighters are also a nice trump card. I'll have to make a playlist of all the dogfights i have made sometime, or you are welcome to go through this and the old thread...after you submit something else to fight, of course:D

Edited by exbyde

1 hour ago, GillyMonster said:

Which weapons are better gun wise?  BDA or Aviator Arsenal?

Bda tends to have higher fire rates so i would say bda but you are welcome to either if you want to add variety. Just beware there isnt a "guns" setting on BDA so if you put on a cannon and mgs they will fire separate.

Edited by exbyde

5 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

Hm, can you explain what the difference is between a non-BD flying observer and a landed/splashed one? Just curious. 

In very simple terms - KSP has a system to move the world around the vessel instead of moving the vessel in the world. Not all things in BDA take this into account. This system is disabled when the focused vessel is close to the ground. So if the selected vessel is on the ground, the world will stop moving, and everything will work like you would expect.

In less simple terms - detecting collisions at high speed is tricky. Also, floating point number precision is directly related to their magnitude. So KSP has systems to try to circumvent these problems - velocity offloading (called Krakensbane) and floating origin (called FloatingOrigin :P).

The first one works by calculating the speed of everything relative to the active vessel instead of the body you're orbiting. So then when you're heading for Duna at 3km/s, and jettison a booster, Unity has to calculate if it slips between the two fins for a booster moving at 1.2 m/s for a stationary spaceship rather than if a booster moving at 3000.1 m/s slips between the fins of a spaceship moving at 3000 m/s. Turns out, the former is easier. :D

The second one works by keeping the vessel at (0, 0, 0) in the internal coordinate system, and everything close by is also relatively close to 0 (things far away are unloaded anyway). You can probably google up a better explanation of the problem than I can manage without taking up three paragraphs :D but you start to lose small movements when you're far away from zero.

In BDA, some things, like bullets, do not take these things into account (likely the bullets were implemented before KSP had these things). So, when the systems kick in, the bullets start inheriting the acceleration and movement of the focused vessel. Also, when the focused vessel changes, the bullets like to teleport together with the vessel change.

Now, when you're close to the ground, collisions with terrain come up. And, applying the same argument, there is a lot more terrain than there is ship, and calculating collisions is easier when the terrain is stationary. So Krakensbane turns off. And since you're stationary, Floating Origin has no reason to kick in either (and it is less aggressive for vessels close to the ground too). So, a landed observer stops the main causes of the observer effects, while a flying observer does not (it might still alleviate Floating Origin issues if it stays in relatively the same place).

1 hour ago, OvoFox11 said:

Any limits on clipping in this contest?

Not...really at this time. Use some common sense and you'll be fine. Everything not hard-set in the rules is up to interperetation until someone sees abuse.

Just a heads up gang, forum is going under maintenance tonight so no dogfights til tomorrow. Perfect your current fighters, make up new ones, or be social elsewhere, and plan on more fights tomorrow

Edited by exbyde

7 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Just a heads up gang, forum is going under maintenance tonight so no dogfights til tomorrow. Perfect your current fighters, make up new ones, or be social elsewhere, and plan on more fights tomorrow

Was the Wasp vs Viper battle recorded? Is that going to go up?

You released the results, so I'm just wondering. 

16 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Was the Wasp vs Viper battle recorded? Is that going to go up?

You released the results, so I'm just wondering. 

Battle was recorded. Will go up prob tomorrow morning. Did not release yet due to twerking issue.

Well, i'm not doing any new dogfights tonight (sorry folks, just a bit tired) but here's @Box of Stardust's Viper Twerk Machine against the Wasp

Vipers beat out the wasp, winning the #5 spot. Testing will be verified with an autostrutted version of the Viper before proceeding to test against the #4 Rafale.

Edited by exbyde

3 hours ago, exbyde said:

Well, i'm not doing any new dogfights tonight (sorry folks, just a bit tired) but here's @Box of Stardust's Viper Twerk Machine against the Wasp

Vipers beat out the wasp, winning the #5 spot. Testing will be verified with an autostrutted version of the Viper before proceeding to test against the #4 Rafale.

That air intake on the viper is wobbling so hard.

1 minute ago, goduranus said:

That air intake on the viper is wobbling so hard.

It's also basically impossible to get an IR lock on it.

4 hours ago, goduranus said:

@Box of Stardust Your other plane the Pegasus is super wobbly as well.

@dundun92I didn't have any trouble locking onto the Viper after he fixed it, maybe wobble fix broke it?

I should have updated the PEGASys with rigid attach turned on for everything in the link. (Current craft in the link is the D2, not the D1, despite the title.)

I was going to test wobbliness last night, after temporarily uninstalling KJR, with just rigid attach and no autostruts, but got too tired. I'm thinking rigid attach should be all that I need though; if not, I can autostrut everything as well. Thank goodness for EEX toggles. 

Like I said, I play with KJR, so I don't experience stock joint wobbliness normally.

4 hours ago, dundun92 said:

It's also basically impossible to get an IR lock on it.

Oh. Er... advanced stealth features! :D

Edited by Box of Stardust

Hey, just an official announcement, March 6 marks the release of KSP 1.4, AND that new expansion. However, because of mod compatibility, there will be a hiatus until april 6 We will be sticking with 1.3.1 at least until April 6 or a version of the mods currently running in roster aircraft (BDAC, Airplane Plus) are compatible. So have fun with 1.4 and all the new stuff that comes with it, but remember, there may be part incompatibilities between the versions if you upgrade.

Off topic here, but since we're all air combat enthusiasts here, I'd like to share this cool free indie game in the veins of Ace Combat. Well not "free" but Pay-If-You-Want, where you can try the Alpha and donate if you want to support the development. Click on "no-thanks" at the donate page and you'll still be able to download it.

Download link at the bottom of the link: https://rb-d2.itch.io/wingman/devlog/24909/project-wingman-alpha-5-revision-2

Edited by goduranus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.