Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

2 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

So.

I tested your craft again, and it still doesn't select any weapons. I even tried setting Guard Mode off in the SPH to see if that would do anything (since it was set to On when it launches).

I'm guessing the BD AI just doesn't like having two different types of guns to choose from.

So.

I updated the craft again. Hopefully this problem does not persist because its name is becoming very ironic. On the upside, MOAR MINIGUNS!

5 hours ago, exbyde said:

was going to say, looks quite familiar.

Well, I think the first aircraft I saw in this thread was the DN-65es and I didn't realize until recently how... plagiarism-y it looks. I'll take credit for its failures though lol

55 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Just a little bit of something interesting for ya'll. Current leaderboard alongside one another (and some stuff of mine) for comparisons:

Kru0SMD.png

Du-3 looks... big compared to the others...

48 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

Its still smaller than the rafale, and because of the forward swept wing is more aerodynamically unstable (thats a good thing in a fighter competition)

On 3/4/2018 at 5:53 PM, dundun92 said:

And yet, as a pure gunfighter, it's manages to hold onto its spot with a death grip. Not bothering for missiles, it just starts putting rounds down range as soon as 2.5km happens since it doesn't need to switch weapons, and IR locks on the Du-3 are only really made under 3km for the head-on pass. Winning against the Du-3 is much like winning against the Cookie: survive or win the initial merge. Out of the merge, the Du-3 is still a pretty damn maneuverable plane, so it's a tough dogfighter.

Speaking of the Du-3, having to tune against it has annoyed me enough to play all ya'll games, so:

(REPLACED BY GUNBRICK)

@exbyde got another plane to throw at the board: Basilisk-D5. And it has one primary purpose: get the Du-3 off the board by throwing 20mm rounds back at it from 2.5km (assuming the Du-3 isn't off the board by the time it goes in for testing). :D

Edited by Box of Stardust

20 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

And yet, as a pure gunfighter, it's manages to hold onto its spot with a death grip. Not bothering for missiles, it just starts putting rounds down range as soon as 2.5km happens since it doesn't need to switch weapons, and IR locks on the Du-3 are only really made under 3km for the head-on pass. Winning against the Du-3 is much like winning against the Cookie: survive or win the initial merge. Out of the merge, the Du-3 is still a pretty damn maneuverable plane, so it's a tough dogfighter.

Speaking of the Du-3, having to tune against it has annoyed me enough to play all ya'll games, so:

@exbyde got another plane to throw at the board: Basilisk-D5. And it has one primary purpose: get the Du-3 off the board by throwing 20mm rounds back at it from 2.5km (assuming the Du-3 isn't off the board by the time it goes in for testing). :D

if you're really looking to have as sniper, why not go with the GAU-8, as the max firing distance is 4k?

12 minutes ago, exbyde said:

if you're really looking to have as sniper, why not go with the GAU-8, as the max firing distance is 4k?

Tried it. Too inaccurate, can't compensate for that by carrying more because it's heavy, overheats were a bit problematic, and lugging around the weight of even two in a dogfight didn't go well. I mean, sure the point of long range gun sniping is so that you kill them before they get in a dogfight, but... it wasn't working out for me.

Honestly, the best way to use the GAU-8 was how the Cookie did it. The X-14 posted earlier might be able to do it too except that it needs more engines and/or a lower max speed so that it can fly without afterburner.

Maybe I'll revisit a GAU-8 platform later.

I was also thinking about doing an Oerlikon Millenium Cannon build with the turret locked forward so it was basically just a really heavy gun, but I'm not sure if that's enough to make the OMC 'legal'.

50 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

get the Du-3 off the board

It will probably have to beat the Du-5R though. Can it beat it?

Also, @Earthlinger, I found a solution to the "pitching up at gun range" issue. Lower the max speed do under 275m/s.

45 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

It will probably have to beat the Du-5R though. Can it beat it?

Also, @Earthlinger, I found a solution to the "pitching up at gun range" issue. Lower the max speed do under 275m/s.

yeppers

Also, the max speed setting does a lot of weird tangential things. But I wish pitching up at gun range was an effect of max speed above 275m/s...

Alright, ladies and gentlemen, tonight we have a new face on the queue, @Wolf5698 is showing us some of his fighter creations, starting with the Alpha, or as i call it for its unique metal shield, the tombstone. Tonight the Tombstone will be facing off against @ZLM-Master's Rafael, another highly unique manned fighter. Who will reign supreme?

After a few oddities with BDA, it appears that the Rafael will hold its No.5 ranking.

Next up, @Wolf5698's Micro fighter, a canard, earrape engine powered drone, takes on @ZLM-Master's Rafale again. Will this nimble little fighter do better?

Unfortunately, no. The microfighter is just not quite maneuverable enough to take out the Rafale.

2 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

I like how we actually almost started playing Kerbal Space Program again with that last one.

BDAC is a finnicky little thing

Alrighty, so @ZLM-Master, You weren't around for this, so i'd like to take you back to the time when missile spam was both alive and well. @Joseph Kerman's developed a super maneuverable missile fighter, the F-1 tiger, that would have done really well back in the days in december when we weren't using the newer version of BDAC with stealth incorporated.

You forgot the CHAFF, my dude. And that chaff and those radar jammers do wonders when it comes to knocking that AIM-120 success rate to zero. The F-1 takes the board in the #5 spot.

I have to admit that I downloaded the Micro Fighter when it was first submitted because it really intrigued me. It comes in under 4 tons, and yet has most of the right pieces in place that would make a good fighter. Also came to the same conclusion that it was too sluggish too turn. Needs some control surface spam, could probably get away with replacing the front wing with a canard (or a few) completely. Could also use some AI tuning; even one very specific simple change could change its lethality by a decent margin.

I actually started messing around with the Micro Fighter because I was so curious about it, then tried to build a fighter like it. But it was just so ridiculously barebones that... I guess I couldn't handle not having decent aesthetics? :P Managed to get one under 5t though, but I need to see about that whole 'BD AI doesn't like reversed control surfaces' thing and figure out what that mod was that allows individual manipulation of pitch, roll, yaw authority.

On the next battles:

LOL I forgot what AMRAAM spam was like. That was definitely something.

1 minute ago, Dundun65C said:

@exbyde, can I build a single craft that splits into three crafts? There would still be three BDA trackers, but it's launched as a single craft.

not for the regular category, for super category only.

On 12/29/2017 at 9:43 AM, exbyde said:

2b. At no point can more aircraft be present on the tracker in BD Armory than what was originally placed on the runway. I.E. NO SWARMS!

22 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Next up, @Wolf5698's Micro fighter, a canard, earrape engine powered drone, takes on @ZLM-Master's Rafale again. Will this nimble little fighter do better?

Unfortunately, no. The microfighter is just not quite maneuverable enough to take out the Rafale.

BDAC is a finnicky little thing

Microfighter's downfall seems to be the lack of vertical wing surfaces, causing excessive sideslip. See how the microfighter's guns miss so far to the sides of the target, while having greater precision in the updown direction.

Alright, next up we have @Joseph Kerman's F-1 taking on our #4 roster aircraft, @dundun92's DU-3

Features like Chaff and Radar jammers are a LOT of the reason why you do not see many planes with an AIM-120, despite their total lack of friendly fire incidents.

Alright, final battle for tonight, @Box of Stardust is taking on @Joseph Kerman's F-1 for the #5 spot. How one sided could this be?

Really, really one-sided. 6-0, PEGAsys takes the #5.

Edited by exbyde

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.