Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

37 minutes ago, exbyde said:

I hadn't even thought of IR. Not to mention the thing would be a tank due to fuel weight.

And it would be highly explosive. 

Ladies and Gentlemen, I proudly present...

OLj5NYu.png

The lineup, from left to right:

The Lynx, the second iteration of the micro fighter. This drone weighs in at just over 3 tons once the drop tanks are gone and is armed with Vulcan cannons and two Sidewinders.

Next up is the Jaguar. This manned fighter is supermaneuverable to the point of not being flyable by a human pilot. It is armed with Vulcan cannons and Sidewinders.

In the middle is the Cheetah. This aircraft uses its speed and a unique tactic to destroy even the most maneuverable fighters. It has only Sidewinders to take down enemy fighters

Finally, on the right is the Lion, my entry into the Super category. This behemoth has 183 parts and is armed with a Jernas turret and 4 drones to take down other fighters. @exbyde please read the craft description for instructions on how it works. Hopefully these four fighters can do better then the last batch.

4 hours ago, Wolf5698 said:

OLj5NYu.png

The Lynx, the second iteration of the micro fighter. This drone weighs in at just over 3 tons once the drop tanks are gone and is armed with Vulcan cannons and two Sidewinders.

Next up is the Jaguar. This manned fighter is supermaneuverable to the point of not being flyable by a human pilot. It is armed with Vulcan cannons and Sidewinders.

In the middle is the Cheetah. This aircraft uses its speed and a unique tactic to destroy even the most maneuverable fighters. It has only Sidewinders to take down enemy fighters

Finally, on the right is the Lion, my entry into the Super category. This behemoth has 183 parts and is armed with a Jernas turret and 4 drones to take down other fighters. @exbyde please read the craft description for instructions on how it works. Hopefully these four fighters can do better then the last batch.

Really cool. Here's my at-a-glance breakdown:

Lynx: interesting, maybe a step up in the maneuverability department from the MF. Downgrade in firepower though. Also, as the rules are that battles are completely flown by BD AI, the drop tanks will have to be programmed such that the AI will drop them itself. Fortunately, that's as simple as hooking them up with a Modular Missile Guidance and set to GPS targeting and dumb fire once enemy is in x range, so the drop tanks drop when closing in to combat. Also, 500 drop tank fuel is excessive to begin with. (Also, after testing, they don't get fuel drained from them.)

Oh, and not enough flares.

Jaguar: bog standard manned fighter. 

Cheetah: Whiplashes are interesting idea, always wanted to test it myself but kept forgetting. However, arming with only Sidewiders will only lead nowhere: the leaderboard is currently filled with aircraft that don't get IR locked until 3km or lower. And have flares for days.

Also, Whiplashes are a huge IR signature. It might be able to outrun Sidewinders though... if it flies to faster than 450m/s fast enough. Somehow I doubt the AI will do that, and it'll be in close enough range that most enemies will probably just gun run it.

Lion: Uh, for the Lion, unfortunately the battles are supposed to be flown completely by the BD AI, so I don't think it'll be valid. For actual drone programming, @Eidahlil has instructions on page... uh, somewhere before page 25 on how he made Hive Princess work; it's some Modular Missile Manager magic mixed with decouplers. As for the take off... not sure. 200m/s is a bit excessive for takeoff, isn't it? That's outside of the AI's takeoff settings... and kind of outside the realm of normal takeoff speeds to begin with. 

Edited by Box of Stardust

1 hour ago, Box of Stardust said:

Lion: Uh, for the Lion, unfortunately the battles are supposed to be flown completely by the BD AI, so I don't think it'll be valid. For actual drone programming, @Eidahlil has instructions on page... uh, somewhere before page 25 on how he made Hive Princess work; it's some Modular Missile Manager magic mixed with decouplers. As for the take off... not sure. 200m/s is a bit excessive for takeoff, isn't it? That's outside of the AI's takeoff settings... and kind of outside the realm of normal takeoff speeds to begin with. 

Just search for it for the drone instructions, it’s there somewhere.  

200m/s will be fine as long as you accelerate quickly.

as for my opinion on the plane itself... don’t think it’s going to beat Hive Mind, based on the size of it. Probably will defeat Blastoise and Hive Princess if you get the drones working though.

9 hours ago, Wolf5698 said:

OLj5NYu.png

Nothing compared to my fighter collection:

https://kerbalx.com/dundun93/craft

20 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

Really cool. Here's my at-a-glance breakdown:

Lynx: interesting, maybe a step up in the maneuverability department from the MF. Downgrade in firepower though. Also, as the rules are that battles are completely flown by BD AI, the drop tanks will have to be programmed such that the AI will drop them itself. Fortunately, that's as simple as hooking them up with a Modular Missile Guidance and set to GPS targeting and dumb fire once enemy is in x range, so the drop tanks drop when closing in to combat. Also, 500 drop tank fuel is excessive to begin with. (Also, after testing, they don't get fuel drained from them.)

Oh, and not enough flares.

Jaguar: bog standard manned fighter. 

Cheetah: Whiplashes are interesting idea, always wanted to test it myself but kept forgetting. However, arming with only Sidewiders will only lead nowhere: the leaderboard is currently filled with aircraft that don't get IR locked until 3km or lower. And have flares for days.

Also, Whiplashes are a huge IR signature. It might be able to outrun Sidewinders though... if it flies to faster than 450m/s fast enough. Somehow I doubt the AI will do that, and it'll be in close enough range that most enemies will probably just gun run it.

Well that’s just great. So I’m still stuffed then?

Edited by Wolf5698

Actually using modular missile as drop tanks won't work, since modular missiles' fuel is always locked until it detaches, you can't get any fuel out except with manual transfter.

Edited by goduranus

1 hour ago, goduranus said:

Actually using modular missile as drop tanks won't work, since modular missiles' fuel is always locked until it detaches, you can't get any fuel out except with manual transfter.

Yeah... I kinda just figured this out in the last half hour.

If anything, it's just an additional step in aircraft setup; unlocking the fuel tank before takeoff.

7 hours ago, Wolf5698 said:

Well that’s just great. So I’m still loveed then?

?

Anyways, here's another quick messing around, this time with the Lynx.

I'm gonna post a few battles cuz I've been testing anyways,

Continuing from where @exbyde left off after PEGASys climbs to #5, here's @Box of Stardust's PEGASys vs leaderboard#4, @dundun92's Du3

Spoiler

The fight was evenly matched, but a friendly fire incident by Du3 in Round 3 gave this fight to the PEGASys

Edited by goduranus

Now, time for @Box of Stardust vs @Box of Stardust

Spoiler

No surprise there, the newer craft beats the old one. PEGASys wins

The next round would be PEGASys vs my plane the Rabid Squirrel, but I've modified my local craft file and KerbalX file and don't have the original I sent in, so we have to go back to @exbyde  for the next round

Edited by goduranus

15 hours ago, goduranus said:

A bit of update for the vampire squirrel: 

https://kerbalx.com/goduranus/Vampire-Squirrel

Yeah, that's a very sneaky cover pic you got on that page.

well, time to test what the heck that crazy looking thing does

---

huh, so that's what it does.

At this rate, we're gonna go from gun spam to Macross. 

@goduranus So I assume that nutty MLRS device is the most effective 'initiative gaining' device you've tested.

It's interesting. Goes off of the strategy that the initial missiles during the merge was always just for routing, so it doesn't matter that your aircraft can't actually get IR locks either, since the device does that already.

I actually don't hate it or anything; little irritating, but not a huge bother. It completely dispenses with the 'initial merge' portion of these dogfights, which, quite frankly, is pretty welcome.

I've only tested against my PEGASys-D3. Battles become more randomized; all depends on what the AI pilots do and how they decide to react. When and how they decide to turn back in to engage the Squirrels.

Meanwhile, Squirrels don't seem to take full initiative and charge in straight. I think it's a side effect of them reacting to the PEGASi dispersing to evade the Sidewinders.

Cool stuff. Ensuing dogfight partially depends on which side has better starting positions once the missile attack and dodging phase ends. Also seems to showcase fighters' dogfighting capabilities better.

I haven't tested it against other entries in this competition, but I can tell you that my D3s aren't really fazed much and just start chucking missiles back at the Squirrels once they turn back in lol. Without an initial merge to worry about, their weakness in needing the AI to switch to Vulcans in time to do damage/survive the head-on pass doesn't manifest.

Definitely adds a cool new dynamic to the dogfights. I'm adding these to my Basilisks lol. Oh, and Gunbrick, to see what effect that has. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.