Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

1 hour ago, Wolf5698 said:

The cargo bay on the Lion stubbornly refused to open long enough to release the drones. Any ideas?

Add blank decouplers with modular missile guidance. Make sure your firing interval is not too low.

The AI will start dropping drones as soon as the drone bay _starts_ opening. So you want it to fire the blank ones first. Play around with the order they are placed in. It's a wonky solution, but the only one I found.

If you check the princess it has two blank ones at the back of the bay. Doesn't always work right, but sometimes it does. :D

9 hours ago, dundun93 said:

It beat the viper hands down! So... it should stand a chance against the Brick.

I'm using @goduranuss sidewinder contraption too! And so is @dundun92! It's become a new trend!

@Earthlinger, you've gotta try it!

@MiffedStarfish wanna enter?

Leaderboard needs to be updated @exbyde.

Just trying to keep things orderly. That's all...

We haven't finished testing on PEGAsys so i'm not going to update. I will be running more fights sunday night.

I think he'll do the update after the PEGASys finishes its run and settles into a spot.

I wonder if we'll see the Vampire Squirrel's multi rocket system in action this weekend.

The last plane we tried is PEGASys on page 41, between it and the Vampire Squirrel in the regular category we have: 

Edited by goduranus

2 hours ago, GillyMonster said:

Can tailsitters be tested?  Also how do people make drones?  Do they have individual AI pilots or just modular missile guidance?

If the aircraft is capable of taking off when placed in pilot mode by bdac then yes.

2 hours ago, GillyMonster said:

Can tailsitters be tested?  Also how do people make drones?  Do they have individual AI pilots or just modular missile guidance?

Just an AI.

Somone else's started another KSP fighter tournament, check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2D_AeZRUeg :o

Notable rules are

• Radar detection range in SPH's BDA info tab should be under 5km to encourage smaller crafts
  • ECM Jammers are not allowed
  • Only mod allowed is BDArmory (he didn't list this, but later clarifies in video comments)
  • Craft must be crewed, but command chair is acceptable, although the host encourages you to put a jettisoning crew pod for him to do the crew transfer if that is the case
  • Needs an RTG

More rules in the description of that video

Edited by goduranus

Just my PoV , but i like when there is a Hardpoints rule ! That prevent users to use too many weapon and make a more 'fair' challenge . In that way PPL work more on the aicraft design than on the among of weapons they can put on it ^^

Quick exemple :

small craft ( Drone ) < 8 Tons = 9 Hardpoints

Jetfighter ( Manned ) 8 tons to 18 tons = 12 Hardpoints

Heavy craft > 18 Tons = 15 Hardpoints

OPLeTR5.jpg

We can Brainstorm for the among of Hardpoints who can be used , Ofc . The more important is that everyone have fun in a fair challenge .

Nice day on Kerbin !

I'm not a fan of too many restrictions. I think it ends up pushing a specific kind of competitive meta, which is pretty bland.

In this unlimited challenge (barring turrets, which is okay since static weapons promotes engineering a maneuverable fighter and tuning it to be stable and precise), the meta is defined only by the creative solutions everyone has to what planes are on the leaderboard. 

Plus, I'm not sure a hardpoint restriction would really have much of an effect, given the current plane designs. Missile spam has only returned thanks to the Vampire Squirrel, and that's not even your conventional missile spam, since it's more of a special device. 

Other than the Vampire Squirrel (and I guess most subsequent fighters carrying the MLRS), recent designs have been only 1-2 Sidewinders (except me, carrying 4) and 3-4 Vulcans.

There's not really a 'loaded with weapons' issue here.

Edited by Box of Stardust

23 hours ago, ZLM-Master said:

Just my PoV , but i like when there is a Hardpoints rule ! That prevent users to use too many weapon and make a more 'fair' challenge . In that way PPL work more on the aicraft design than on the among of weapons they can put on it ^^

Quick exemple :

small craft ( Drone ) < 8 Tons = 9 Hardpoints

Jetfighter ( Manned ) 8 tons to 18 tons = 12 Hardpoints

Heavy craft > 18 Tons = 15 Hardpoints

OPLeTR5.jpg

We can Brainstorm for the among of Hardpoints who can be used , Ofc . The more important is that everyone have fun in a fair challenge .

Nice day on Kerbin !

While i appreciate the concern, i would think this is a rule that doesn't have a place here. At this point in the game, most of the people here that make the board have maybe a couple of missiles? Spam hasn't really been a concern since we started using the "under the radar" version of BDAC.

4 hours ago, exbyde said:

While i appreciate the concern, i would think this is a rule that doesn't have a place here. At this point in the game, most of the people here that make the board have maybe a couple of missiles? Spam hasn't really been a concern since we started using the "under the radar" version of BDAC.

Well, Vulcan boating seems to be an upcoming trend. Gunbrick is now surprisingly on the conservative end, with 10, X-15 has 12, and according to the parts list, TFD 2.1 has 16. So excessive gun spam might be a new problem.

Seems like something that might have to be looked into. Maybe after we see how the MLRS pans out. (And after I submit my ultimate thesis to the theory...)

In the case that Vulcans do need to be limited per aircraft, 1 Vulcan per ton of the dry weight of the aircraft (no fuel, no missiles, and no additional 'droppable' items) seems reasonable.

40 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Well, Vulcan boating seems to be an upcoming trend. Gunbrick is now surprisingly on the conservative end, with 10, X-15 has 12, and according to the parts list, TFD 2.1 has 16. So excessive gun spam might be a new problem.

Seems like something that might have to be looked into. Maybe after we see how the MLRS pans out. (And after I submit my ultimate thesis to the theory...)

In the case that Vulcans do need to be limited per aircraft, 1 Vulcan per ton of the dry weight of the aircraft (no fuel, no missiles, and no additional 'droppable' items) seems reasonable.

Uhh what's up with MLRS?  Are people referring to the giant missile box or just making "missile boats?"

46 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Gunbrick is now surprisingly on the conservative end, with 10, X-15 has 12, and according to the parts list, TFD 2.1 has 16.

WAT!

16 Vulcans???!?

Image result for why would you do that gif

Excuse me while I go stick some food in my mouth I stress eat

8 minutes ago, GillyMonster said:

Uhh what's up with MLRS?  Are people referring to the giant missile box or just making "missile boats?"

Vampire Squirrel.

It's not your standard fighter missile boat, in that it carries a device that pretty much operates as an MLRS.

On 3/9/2018 at 6:50 PM, goduranus said:

I'll show the other side

850S5aJ.jpg

32 minutes ago, GillyMonster said:

So basically a custom made missile box?

It's that thing.

I use 'MLRS' for the meaning and mode of operation (multiple launch rocket system), not in reference to the actual objects that they usually are.

1 hour ago, Earthlinger said:

WAT!

16 Vulcans???!?

Image result for why would you do that gif

Excuse me while I go stick some food in my mouth I stress eat

IV-1 had 16 actually... I would have put 20+, had it not had 100 parts.

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, goduranus said:

What do the extra guns on these gunplanes do? For reverse propulsion? or to shoot down missiles? 

3-4 seem enough for planes, so 12 or 16 is to achieve something else?

Saturation of the sky. Throw enough up there and your chances of hitting stuff goes up a lot. Gunbrick was built around this specific strategy, inspired by the behavior of the Du-3.

Just wait until I finish my VulcanStar. :D

Just out of curiosity does this competition allow using 3 different aircraft at once if they're designed as part of a system?  Like one is designed for target acquisition, one for guns and the other for missiles?  Or is that the super/mothership type deal?

@exbyde NP , this was just a idea . I keep it for my challenge , still cooking it . But i wait Mod update for KSP 1.4.X & finish this one too .

I don't have time to play this week so no update , but i going to check if there is some other craft update .

And nice day on Kerbin :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.