Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

14 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

Currently uploading TFD vs VS.

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks to the MLRS and AIM-9 routing strategy, the Squirrel manages to win.

Also, new entry:

fDLRIkt.jpg

https://kerbalx.com/dundun92/Du-6S-Diode

Updated Du-5R

https://kerbalx.com/dundun92/Du-5Rs

By the way, for recording software, I recommend OBS Studio, which is awesome and free and has no watermark.

1 minute ago, Box of Stardust said:

By the way, for recording software, I recommend OBS Studio, which is awesome and free and has no watermark.

It didnt work for me last time i tried... should try again though.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, goduranus said:

I think 4x AIM-9 on the PEGASys actually made a difference, I gotta put more on my next plane.

My tactical strategy has always been missile-usage focused. Even Viper.

Mind you, not missile-focused, but missile-usage focused.

There are a lot of instances when planes are coming in for a head-on pass, but whereas most planes will be on their Vulcans, PEGASys will be on Sidewinders, and will usually get the missile off, causing the other plane to break off. This reduces the instances of the sorta-random-outcome head-on fights, and instead leads to a stage of who can turn around faster, more maneuverable aircraft wins.

Plus, of course, it's just more missiles to use, so it has higher potential for missile kills when the dogfights start and put planes in all sorts of positions.

Now, the difference with Viper, aside from flight tuning, is weapon range tuning. Viper is set to 1700m, which is still too long on the guns. This was me still figuring out how to deal with the leaderboard and the 2500m gun ranges and the merge meta. 1700m was good enough for Sidewinders in the initial merge, but it hampered missile usage in the dogfight.

PEGASys currently has the shortest gun range in this competition yet, at a 'mere' 1450m range hard-set on the Vulcans. This ensures that it'll keep its missiles as an active weapon option as long as possible without being slow to switch to Vulcans when it needs to. It also makes it really weak in the initial merge, but the slim profile and speed of the plane was enough to get it through the merge with okay survival rates, with help from the routing Sidewinder.

I've been testing shorter and shorter ranges, but around 1100m, I feel like the AI doesn't switch to guns fast enough.

And exbyde questioned shorter gun range and 2 extra Sidewinders. :P

4 hours ago, ZLM-Master said:

Yep , Worrking on a new aircraft , a bit more aggressif & add a evolved Pod from my V-TEK project . But it's a bit weak .

XJd7mNR.jpg

Need a fine tune now .

Aw, you're not submitting the V-TEK? It looked really cool, like a sci-fi fighter. Also I wanted to make 'V-TEC just kicked in yo!' jokes.

... wait, is that a nuke?

Edited by Box of Stardust

7 hours ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Gahh! This thread keeps blowing up my phone with emails! Why did I ever have the brilliant idea, "Hey, why not start a competition? I get to see a new plane or two a month, plus, I pick up tips, all without much work!" instead, I got 10 planes in the first 5 days, have my phone beep every 5 minutes with a post from this thread, and have so little time, I had to turn it over to @exbyde ! (BTW, much thanks. It's your nightmare now, not mine.)

Maybe we should appoint other, official helpers....

5 hours ago, Earthlinger said:

Maybe we should appoint other, official helpers....

Yeah good luck. Brian and I have both asked for people to participate, the fact that people are now starting to submit dogfights on their own is a god-given miracle. I'll probably be submitting more monday once i catch up on the thread

@Box of Stardust :wink: yep , i use the V-TEK only for trying all routine setup on the lower Pod , the craft has good Sy-Fy looking but it don't have specific flight attribute . Not enouth thrust power . turn rate not bad . gunner not bad too . Annemic Missile ^^ erf .

oHjZmGm.jpg

You can make a shoot against it but you probably win by 3-0 :wink::wink: 

Seriously , i not submit it because it"s far away from the Top leaderboard craft performance . You are hard to follow in term of Performance ^^

EDIT : It's a warhead mounted , wasn't know if it's a nuke weapon ?!?

Edited by ZLM-Master

8 minutes ago, ZLM-Master said:

@Box of Stardust :wink: yep , i use the V-TEK only for trying all routine setup on the lower Pod , the craft has good Sy-Fy looking but it don't have specific flight attribute . Not enouth thrust power . turn rate not bad . gunner not bad too . Annemic Missile ^^ erf .

oHjZmGm.jpg

You can make a shoot against it but you probably win by 3-0 :wink::wink: 

Seriously , i not submit it because it"s far away from the Top leaderboard craft performance . You are hard to follow in term of Performance ^^

Honestly, I'm thinking of making a 'light drone' competition because there's some really cool drones here around ~5.5t. Maybe when we move to 1.4.1.

Good way to force balance of weapon, engines, and aircraft parts.

13 minutes ago, Box of Stardust said:

Honestly, I'm thinking of making a 'light drone' competition because there's some really cool drones here around ~5.5t. Maybe when we move to 1.4.1.

Good way to force balance of weapon, engines, and aircraft parts.

The original A26 weighed 2.1t loaded...

Also, I should be running some fights later this afternoon. 

Edited by Guest

@Box of StardustI'm cooking one too , most major rules in there , but i'm wait for KSP 1.4.X , i got a good performance boost in the last version . + My computer is quite old now & i cannot handle too many crafts . I don't want to make twin challenge in the same time too . Here's a tiny spoiler :wink:

nSllKkQ.jpg

Edited by ZLM-Master

11 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

The original A26 weighed 2.1t loaded...

Also, I should be running some fights later this afternoon. 

The rules I have come up with are:

-4t maximum dry weight; unloaded of all fuel, ammo, missiles, and chaff+flares (because they pile up in weight)

-5.5t maximum combat load/takeoff weight

In this competition, 'optimal' balanced aircraft designs seem to be hovering around 6-7.5t on the runway. Partially thanks to the new MLRS trend that adds I think at least ~0.7t to an aircraft at launch. My aircraft have only been getting heavier (like real life, lol); PEGASys started out at 6.5t at takeoff, new design D6 is at 6.8 I think. Basilisk comes in a 'monstrous' 8.7t takeoff thanks to the MLRS, 7.5t without it.

The one plane that continues to kinda baffle me is the Squirrel, which is practically a light drone masquerading as a medium drone; it still comes in under 6t, but above 5.5t. Fully empty, the thing weighs 3.4t.

But yeah. There's been a few ultra-light designs here and there that are really cool, but they're starting to get out-paced by drones in the 6-7t range, so those light drones don't really get to shine. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.