A 2.5X Scale Playthrough.

Kerbalstar

I shall dedicate myself to landing a Kerbal on every planet before this save is over.

This is a 2.5X scale playthrough of the stock solar system. I'm doing this because I felt like I needed a little more of a challenge. I tried life support mods, career(before I was always a sandbox sort of guy), some other things(Real Fuels was one that lasted for about 10 minutes), but none of it worked. I've found this, a 2.5x scale stock system, to be just the right challenge. It's a little harder to get into orbit, the rockets are a little bigger, and the transfers take just a little more DeltaV. So this is a no life support, fairly lightly modded(for me), sandbox playthrough of a 2.5x scaled stock system. Without further ado, the plans and the pics!

We plan to start with constructing a station around the Mun to facilitate future surface bases and interplanetary missions. I also plan to build a station and base around Minmus, for mining and interplanetary mission construction. Then will come missions to Duna, Moho, Dres(I almost forget!:wink: ), Eeloo, Jool and all its moons, and... (Do I have to?:))Eve. I also plan to construct stations around all those bodies, build bases on all the landable ones, and of course land a Kerbal one all of the landable bodies in the solar system. I'm also trying to recover all my boosters(except SRB's) using FMRS. Note that trying is the operative word.:)

As for mods for the system rescale I'm using Sigma Dimensions by @Sigma88, and Rescale! by @Galileo . For parts packs, I was using Bluedog Design Bureau, but I had to uninstall it because of all the memory it uses up. I'm also using SpaceY lifters by @NecroBones . As for other mods I'm using KER(Kerbal Engineer Rexux), MechJeb, mostly for info, but I sometimes use the docking and rendezvous autopilots. I can do those things myself but it takes much longer and is more painstaking. I'm also using Hanger Extender(I'm building huge rockets), BonVoyage(although I might do a manual Elenco), Kerbal Alarm Clock by @TriggerAu , Maneuver Node Evolved, Hanger by @allista , Ground Construction by @allista ,  Real Plume, FAR, Better Burn Time and Better Crew Assignment by @Snark, maybe a few other ones that I'm forgetting?(Probably.) I'm using FMRS to try to recover my boosters. I'm also planning on getting Simple Logistics, for my bases. 

Now some pictures.

My first orbit in this new system.

NRbxBDR.png

rhEalBI.png

Link to the full album:

https://imgur.com/a/ffELL

Why are Imgur albums broken again? And no that is totally Not a Sputnik replica!:wink:

The launch of the first module of Artemis Station One(The Mun station).

kq1XTV4.jpg
Kw5BDVy.png
(Note: I had to remove the launch tower because I hit it on the way up. Those are the only pre-launch pictures I have though.)
                                                                             I don't have a picture of it in orbit. Because well....
We tried to recover the booster:
YWMnt72.png
Full album:
                                                                                                 https://imgur.com/a/JQ3Ij
                                                                                          Then I realized that it didn't have antennas. 
                                                                                                 So I launched a Coms Module.
lzxKe9s.png
Used Mech Jeb to rendvzous:
fkTpkAC.pngEWqpvaC.png
(Note: I docked manually. It was just lined up so well that I couldn't resist it.)
Tried to recover the booster:
TXZTD5R.png

And sent it to The Mun.
nkC3vJL.png
Full Album:
https://imgur.com/a/a7pvQ 
(Note: I can't rearrange the pictures so they aren't in the right order.)
Then came a few attempts to launch a Hab module:
Lniotbd.png
0eeJ3Kx.jpg
f1T4y36.png
Tv92voC.png
Full Album: https://imgur.com/a/xgA5K
Then the launch of the Glenn/Falcon.(No it's totaly not a Falcon Heavy Booster with a crew capsule named after Blue Orgins spacecraft):wink:.
yWrn9Cr.png
nAFpp2I.png
WcBwj7M.png
KQ4mJ09.png
WQ0Yf9r.png
zLTScpR.png
WeLcAc9.png
Full Album: https://imgur.com/a/Ps9jN
I forget to leave fuel in the side boosters for recovery.
Then the launch of the hab module:
u8f9PQq.png
0VnvPAm.png
ynGssUo.png
fJgaAZx.png
8zgMzIs.png
Full Album: https://imgur.com/a/lLFca.
I tried to recover these boosters but none of them worked. ;.;
That's it! Future plans: KerbSat(Scanner), MEM, Artemis Base 1, Minmus operations.
Also, on my first mission report, @Vanamonde asked me if I ever built anything small. My answer then was, and still is: No.:cool:
Edited by kerbalstar
Fixed incorrect wording. :)

Update: Tomorrow, probably, I'm going to launch the MEM(Munar Exploration Module) and post that. The purpose of the MEM is to land at spots that have a lot of ore(as found by KerbSat) and check them out to see which one is the best for building a base. I'll also probably launch KerbSat(Named such because I usually have ScanSat installed and name my survey satellites that, but this one is using KerbNet, so KerbSat.) tomorrow and post that. I'm also planning to launch a fuel module but don't have a lifter to get it up yet. I have an idea though. Tomorrow's update(or possibly Sunday's, now that I think about it) will also have some narration. I'm aiming for something like @Hotaru's or @Ultimate Steve's, although don't expect anything as good as those or @Just Jim 's or @Kuzzter's Also, I'm going to try to build a KSP controller! 

Edited by kerbalstar
Change @ tags to working ones.

Well... I did the inclination change... and well... you'll see...

As promised, some narration:

Bill: This is a picture of the craft in the VAB(Vehicle Assembly Building).

oR6gQAm.jpg

"KerbSat is on the pad." The Public Affairs Officer(PAO) announces.

QJyQpxK.png

"T- 9 seconds to launch." The PAO says in a calm, steady voice.

puMZJAq.png"Hold at T-5." The PAO says. "Mission Control reports a graphical bug."  

Gene bangs on the computer responsible for the main mission control screen. A tech moved the cursor, and the green light on the launch clamp disappeared.

(Out Of Character(OOC): I accidentally had the mouse over the launch clamp, and it basically ruined the picture and I didn't want the rest of them to look like that, so I hit the hold button, F2'd moved the mouse, F2'd again, and resumed the countdown. Also, the vapor streaming off the rocket is from the Vapor Vent mod.)

"Mission Control has fixed the issue." Announces the PAO. 

"T-3 to launch." The PAO says.

CHhqkt6.png"T-2," The PAO says.

Bay9kBd.png"T-1," The PAO says. 

JHUJaaZ.png"Main engine ignition," The PAO reports. 

Clamps released." The PAO says.

vFZE27Z.png"KerbSat has cleared the tower."  The PAO says.

ahOVIVu.png"KerbSat will scan the Mun for valuable resources for future missions." The PAO says.

"Booster separation confirmed." "These boosters will not be recovered as it was deemed that the space program does not need the funds." The PAO says. 

(OOC: I just forget to put probe cores on the boosters. Any of them. I was happy that I didn't have to use SpaceY parts. (I like them, just being able to design a reasonably sized rocket is nice.)

FXr7VC8.png

"Clean booster separation," The PAO says.

"Wow Bill, that was a great homemade booster nosecone separation system, you made there," Gene says over the CAPCOM radio to Bill.

"Why thank you, Gene," Bill replies.

"Orbit achieved." The PAO says happily.

u8VBepL.pngThe probe went to the Mun, but it had a problem...

KSC staff meeting, Mission Control.

"What's the problem Gus, Bill?" Gene asks. 

"Well, Sir, it looks like the scanner on the probe was mounted slightly off center." "I've spoken to the engineer responsible, and they thought that it was on the center of the probe," Gus says.

"Unfortunately, with a probe this small, even being slightly off center caused the tumbling we observed," Gus continued. "It's a miracle we got it to a low enough Mun orbit." "It's not a surprise that the plane change maneuver boosted up the Ap too much, and probably didn't put us in a polar orbit anyways." Gus continued.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      (OOC: Basiclly, I thought that the scanner was attached to the node on top of the probe core when it wasn't, it must have been surface attached.)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                "So now we have a probe, out of fuel, and without even a relay attena in a semi-polar, meduim Mun Orbit?" Gene asked.                                                                                                                                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------                                                                                                                                                                 Gene's last line basiclly sums it up. Tommorow the launch of the Mk. 2 probe. 

TZIfy9z.pngFull album: https://imgur.com/a/NqAaV.

Happy New Year!:)

Update: I'm sorry for the poor formatting on mobile devices. Rest assured, it looks great on my computer. I launched KerbSat Mk. 2, and got the orbital survey data. I've also launched the MEM, it just needs to finish it's rendezvous. I hope you like tonights/tomorrow mornings update. If I have time I might also land it tonight. Well, I'm off to read @Geschosskopf's tutorial on finding the best spots to land!

Small update: Probably no more updates until next week. After reading @Geschosskopf's wonderful tutorial I realized that the stock behavior wasn't going to cut it and installed ScanSat. It gave me a wonderful ore map. I took the MEM down and found a place for Artemis Base 1. I'm waiting till I have it fully assembled to post the next update. Unless, of course, anyone wants Moar Now!:)

10 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

Glad you're finding my tutorial helpful.  I hope it doesn't steer you wrong.

Thanks. It hasn't steered me wrong at all. I had the map from KerbSat, but it didn't have any altitude/biomes because KerbSat had been lauched without ScanSat. I placed some waypoints at high ore concentrations on the eqautor(9% and 10%) and took the MEM(which gets it's inspiration from @Kuzzter's Gumdrop's. (Thanks!)) to the first 10% pocket along the side of the large nearside crater and found flat terrain all around. I planted a flag and took off. It's only a 200m/sec plane change from the equator and Artemis Station 1. 

Also, I'm loving the AKTC!

P.S. You're also the first reply to my thread that's not me! Yay!

I hope you like this!

4 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

Thanks. It hasn't steered me wrong at all.

Glad to hear it.  I find it advantageous to put rovers with the Surface Scanner in the areas that look the best from orbit.  The resource concentrations shown on the SCANsat map are rounded somewhat, but the Surface Scanner shows the real amount.  Thus, you can drive around to find the flattest spot with the best available resources in the most convenient general area.

Also, I'm loving the AKTC!

Thanks!

P.S. You're also the first reply to my thread that's not me! Yay!

Which is a shame.  This is quite an ambitious project and it's got lots of explosions :wink:  

52 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Glad to hear it.  I find it advantageous to put rovers with the Surface Scanner in the areas that look the best from orbit.  The resource concentrations shown on the SCANsat map are rounded somewhat, but the Surface Scanner shows the real amount.  Thus, you can drive around to find the flattest spot with the best available resources in the most convenient general area.

Thanks. I'll try. Right now the power module is on the way, but I do have plans for a fuel truck, and now that you say it I'm sure the crew(when they get there) would love to have a rover to drive around in. It should find just the right place in the area for the drill/IRSU module to land. I'm using Simple Logistics, so no need to actually hook up pipes(or stock hoses?) even though I'm pretty sure that I have KIS/KAS. Also I need to update the mod list in the OP, it's pretty outdated. 

59 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

Which is a shame.  This is quite an ambitious project and it's got lots of explosions :wink:  

Why thank you! I just hope other people agree.

2 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

I'm using Simple Logistics, so no need to actually hook up pipes(or stock hoses?) even though I'm pretty sure that I have KIS/KAS. Also I need to update the mod list in the OP, it's pretty outdated. 

ALWAYS go with disconnected resource transfer if you can.  This makes your base more Kraken-resistant (nothing is Kraken-proof).  KIS/KAS pipes are wonderful things, the best we have for the stock fuel hoses both our avatars want, but they are Kraken bait par excellence if left connected when you leave to go do something else. Then they'll be there when you reload physics on that base and that often leads to...  bitterness.

2 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

Why thank you! I just hope other people agree.

Me, too.

3 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

ALWAYS go with disconnected resource transfer if you can.  This makes your base more Kraken-resistant (nothing is Kraken-proof).  KIS/KAS pipes are wonderful things, the best we have for the stock fuel hoses both our avatars want, but they are Kraken bait par excellence if left connected when you leave to go do something else. Then they'll be there when you reload physics on that base and that often leads to...  bitterness.

I agree. I once had a Pathfinder base from @Angel-125's wonderful Pathfinder mod fly up into the air and flip on load. 

KIS/KAS pipes are wonderful things, the best we have for the stock fuel hoses both our avatars want, but they are Kraken bait par excellence if left connected when you leave to go do something else.

Yes. Oh, yes. I have had many painful experiences with that. 

nothing is Kraken-proof

Yes.

@kerbalstar I like the idea of changing the scale for my next career game. How much harder does this make things? Can I still use stock parts to get to space, as I get a bit overwhelmed by adding in loads of mod parts so I tend to just use quality of life mods. I did recode the Renamer mod as I wanted western names for my kerbals and chanhed it so it could be called by other mods and scripts, then recoded Contract Configurator mod so it could use the Renamer mod to generate those names, and same with the TRP Hire mod.

Great mission reports by the way! I'm still a beginner at this, I've set up bases and stations around Kerbin, the Mun and Minmus and made a one way trip to Duna once but that's about it really! Hope to see more of your progress.

8 hours ago, Pleb said:

@kerbalstar I like the idea of changing the scale for my next career game. How much harder does this make things? Can I still use stock parts to get to space, as I get a bit overwhelmed by adding in loads of mod parts so I tend to just use quality of life mods. I did recode the Renamer mod as I wanted western names for my kerbals and chanhed it so it could be called by other mods and scripts, then recoded Contract Configurator mod so it could use the Renamer mod to generate those names, and same with the TRP Hire mod.

Great mission reports by the way! I'm still a beginner at this, I've set up bases and stations around Kerbin, the Mun and Minmus and made a one way trip to Duna once but that's about it really! Hope to see more of your progress.

Thanks. It's possible to reach orbit with stock parts(I think). I haven't done it because I don't want to and apart from Orbiter 1, I've had huge payloads. The base module that I just launched has 6,183m/sec of DeltaV(With leaving 100m/sec in the side boosters for recovery and reaching orbit with about 400 m/sec in the tank). Artemis Station Module 2 had(with only main booster recovery, as the others were SRB's) 5,367m/sec of DeltaV. Keep in mind that these values are for the launcher stages only, with KER in atmospheric mode 

8 hours ago, Pleb said:

@kerbalstar

That's basically all I've done, landings, bases, stations, around the Kerbin system and a one-way trip to Duna. The lander ran out of fuel after having to rendezvous with the mothership using its own engine. Thank you! I'm going to post a very brief summary later today.

@Pleb . I wanted to give more detail earlier, but I had to go somewhere. Mun transfers take about 1.3 km/sec of DeltaV, consistently. I once saw that I had a Mun capture for 600m/sec of DeltaV, but usually it seems to take less, I think.

Now some pictures of what I've been doing.

Spoiler

UVVuaIX.png

Note: This is not Kermanity's first landing on another world, even though, in this save it technically is the backstory is that Kerbals have already landed on the Mun and Minmus. Duna landings and such will be the first kermanned(thanks for the idea @Hotaru) landings on those worlds.

Spoiler

3vKLVGS.png

More soon!

3 hours ago, kerbalstar said:

I've been busy with distractions(challenges) in stock KSP. I have multiple GameData folders not multiple installs. Tomorrow after I finish @sevenperforce's Falcon Heavy to Duna challenge, I'll be getting back to this. Sorry! Update Friday, most likely.

Looking forward to it! :)

I've hit a bit of a wall. Some of my mods are gone. At first I thought it was just SpaceY and reinstalled it. Then I flew a mission, and realized that the rescale mod was gone. I can reinstall out but this is very annoying, and I'm sick. Currently working on a stock Jool-5 attempt.

Edited by kerbalstar
Spelling

:( Sad to hear, I've been thinking of starting a new career, as I've started experimenting with adding a few more mods that I wished I'd had at the start of my current playthrough, so I might make a stab at doing a mission report. I hope you manage to either continue with this or start a new one!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.