New Years 2017/2018 Megathread

DAL59

RIP 2017

2017-2017

:)

FALCON HEAVY, HERE WE COME!

Time to find out stats about the number 2018 on OEIS...

https://oeis.org/search?q=2018&fmt=short

Obviously, 2018 is even, so we don't have a prime year anymore.  The next prime year is 2027.

Edited by DAL59

I just realized something.  There are now people born in the third millenium who are now adults.  

And JWST has been delayed to 2019 :(

But we'll have up to 5 unmanned and one manned moon mission!

This might be the restart of human space exploration!  Goodnight.

Aud lang syne.

Edited by DAL59

7 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

It's late, so I may be lost right now, but... what?

Remember that thing where SpaceX said two people were paying them to go on a Moon flyby on Falcon Heavy in 2018? It's that. I'm thinking it's probably going to get pushed back to next year, but I'm hopeful! Who knows, maybe they'll have someplace for me to stay by the time I'm ready to go to the Moon.

I got a Skype party call yesterday from some friends and family in the Republic of Georgia at the stroke of their midnight... all of Tbilisi were out in the streets, or on their balconies, or roof-tops, shooting off fireworks - the whole city was lit up! It was an awesome sight. :cool:

https://youtu.be/hXjhC9TJ2r8

https://youtu.be/tzwzkUJc7pI

Meh.

So far, this year seems a lot like last year.

On 12/31/2017 at 11:50 PM, cubinator said:

Remember that thing where SpaceX said two people were paying them to go on a Moon flyby on Falcon Heavy in 2018?

A couple of guys at work have a bet on this.  One has "by the end of 2020", and the other has "2021 or later".  They told me my bet wasn't valid, since "not going to happen" was indeterminable.

Edited by razark

• 4 weeks later...

Since XKCD did not do one this year, I'll do "2018 guide to making people feel old"

1. Blade runner is set next year

2. We are closer to the first warp flight(2063) than to 1970.

3. Many of asimov's robot stories are now set in the past.

20 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Probably there are now more people alive who do not remember the moon landings than those who do remember them

This is probably helped by the fact that the world's population has roughly doubled since 1969.

9 hours ago, benzman said:

Thanks for that.  A  quick Google shows that he painted quite a few sunsets.  I still think it looks like a Turner!

I had to Google Turner. Seems Turner was more a watercolorist?, Puigaudeau oil on canvas? Not that it matters, both seem to have equally pleasing works. Being I've seen neither IRL, I'll have to keep both names in mind and check their works out in the future.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.