[1.12.x] Refocused Camera Focus Changer

linuxgurugamer

I'm adopting this nice mod, written by forum user @zentarul, who hasn't been around since August, the original thread here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/122491-12-camera-focus-changer-v101/

Camera Focus Changer

Ever wished the camera wasn't anchored to your ship's center of mass? With "Camera Focus Changer" (CFC) you can now change the focus of the camera to any part of your ship you desire! Even better, you can have the camera focus on a nearby ship. Very useful when trying to target that docking port that is just so slightly out of sight.

To use this plugin, simply press the 'o' key while the mouse is hovering a part to have the camera center on it. Press it again to have the camera instantly snap into position. Press the 'o' key while the mouse isn't hovering any part to have the camera reset to the center of mass.

Notes:

• It is recommended to be within 350m of an other ship to focus on it.
  • It is possible to change the key-binding in GameData/CameraFocusChanger/PluginData/CameraFocusChanger/config.xml

Known issues:

• Focusing on an other vessel while "flying" doesn't work very well.
  • Focusing on an other vessel while steering the current ship will make the camera bump away.
  • When using CFC to focus on a part, all the Hullcam VDS views then end up focusing on it too when I switch to look through the cameras.

Todo:

• Allow for the use of a key modifier (e.g. CTRL or ALT).

Video presentation by @maxrsp. Skip to 4:00 for CFC.

An other video presentation by @Kottabos.

Download:

Spacedock: https://spacedock.info/mod/1625/Refocused Camera Focus Changer

Source: https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/camerafocuschanger

License: MIT

Also available through SpaceDock and CKAN!

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I think Easy Vessel Switch is much more versatile, it also allows focusing on individual parts with "O + LefttClick" and it doesn't have the shaky camera problem of Camera Focus Changer.

Edited by Enceos

5 hours ago, Enceos said:

I think Easy Vessel Switch is much more versatile, it also allows focusing on individual parts with "O + LefttClick" and it doesn't have the shaky camera problem of Camera Focus Changer.

With this, hover the mouse and hit “o”, no need for left click

What “shaky camera” are you talking about?

@linuxgurugamer Shaky camera when moving your main vessel while focusing on another. The "known issues" section of this mod.

But I do love that there's no need for a mouseclick. Camera Focus Changer was released before the stock "focus on part" was implemented, the creator of the mod devised his own object focusing algorithm. Easy Vessel Switch capitalizes on the stock feature while also adding camera transitions.

Edited by Enceos

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
6 minutes ago, Errol said:

Does anybody know what mod is used to get this internal view of crewed parts from outside? This image is from the spacedock page for this mod.

1 minute ago, Jacke said:

Ah, ok, thanks, I'd always assumed that mod was more of a parts pack with transparent pods, and that it didn't actually do anything to the stock parts. I will check it out.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
26 minutes ago, Grem said:

How do I remap focus switching from "O" key to "mouse wheel click"? What exactly should be written in the config? mouse3? scroll?

Looks like it's one of the "mouse" settings, probably mouse3, but you may want to try  any of the following:

Mouse0
        Mouse1
        Mouse2 
        Mouse3
        Mouse4 
        Mouse5
        Mouse6 

Not sure if case is relevant in that file

New release, 1.1.0.2

• Added two new modes, stock and hybrid
    • Use <ALT>O (alt key and letter O) to toggle between the different modes
    • Normal mode will smooth scroll to the new focus and back to the active vessel
    • Stock mode will instantly snap to the new vessel, and snap back to the active vessel
    • Hybrid mode will scroll smoothly to the new focus, and snap back to the active vessel
    • The Stock and Hybrid modes should fix the camera shake problems reported for the normal mode
  • Replaced XML file with cfg file
    • The config file is in the PluginData directory, and is easier to change than the xml file

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.