[1.8.*] Adjustable Mod Panel, ver 1.5.3

Morse

Adjustable Mod Panel

Screenshot.png

This mod allows you to pick which buttons on the mod panel you want to see. You can disable mods on different screens separately. It requires no additional support from the mods themselves, and will work with whichever mods it encounters. That being said, I should issue an additional warning: since mods can behave unpredictably, and since this mod meddles with the internals of ApplicationLauncher (i.e. stock mod panel), all kinds of weird stuff might happen when you start forcefully disabling the mod buttons. I tried to fail-safe it as much as possible, but since there are literally more than 9000 mods, I can't prepare for everything. But even in the worst-case scenario, it shouldn't affect gameplay, savefiles, and everything else that matters.

Using this mod is easy:

• Install the mode
  • Choose which mod buttons in which screens you want to see (KSC, Editors, Flight, Map View, and Tracking Station)
  • That's it!

Version 1.5.3
KSP 1.8

Version 1.5.2
KSP 1.7
Ignore buttons with no texture

Version 1.5.1
KSP 1.6
Small fix

Version 1.5
Fixed to work with the latest ToolbarControl 0.1.6.6 (older versions won't work).
Implemented "pin mod" functionality. There is no guarantee of the exact mods order, but all the pinned mods will be shown before all the others. Adjustable Mod Panel will always remain in the first place, though.

Version 1.4
KSP 1.4

Version 1.3
Added support for ToolbarControl. No other changes. If you do not use ToolbarControl, you can ignore this update.

Version 1.2
Mod icon is now also taken into account when trying to distinguish one mod from another. That should fix the issue with the "Science!" mod.

Version 1.1
Now the mod can disable itself. It can't be disabled in KSC, so you'll never lose access to the mod.

Code: https://github.com/radistmorse/KSPAdjustableModPanel

Download: https://github.com/radistmorse/KSPAdjustableModPanel/releases/latest

Edited by Morse

So, this is a nice lightweight tool I've been looking for since I never wanted all the extra features of Janitor's Closet just to be able to remove App Launcher buttons. Two main things tho:

1. The description needs to be reworded I really couldn't tell exactly what this mod did before I installed it. The first paragraph led me to believe that this put mods without direct support for Blizzy's into the toolbar, then the second paragraph I couldn't really tell if "panel" referred to the App Launcher or was still talking about Blizzy's toolbar.
  2. The list of mods it gives you doesn't include itself. I don't want this in my Flight Scene any more than I want some of the other buttons :P

Otherwise, great stuff!

19 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

The list of mods it gives you doesn't include itself. I don't want this in my Flight Scene any more than I want some of the other buttons

Hm, point taken :) The problem is, if I include the mod into the list, and user accidentally witches it off, there'll be no way to put it back. I need to find some solution to that.

Great mod.  I agree with @Drew Kerman that mentioning Blizzy's toolbar just confuses things; QuickHide would be a better comparison.  "It's like Blizzy's toolbar except..." won't make sense to anyone who's not familiar with Blizzy's toolbar, and you never actually directly state what the mod does, just that it's like Blizzy's but not.

A quick one-line description lets people immediately know what the mod does (and whether they want it), and then you can explain further.

Here's my take at rewriting the first two paragraphs:

Adjustable Mod Panel lets you organize and clean up your stock toolbar, by hiding buttons in certain scenes or all the time.

Works without any additional support from the mods themselves, so should work with all mods that create a stock toolbar button.

Third paragraph ("Using this mod is easy") and onward is fine as-is, save for the extra "e" in "Install the mode" :)

Less is more when you're trying to attract the attention of the public :)  A clearer description will get more people interested.

19 minutes ago, hab136 said:

Less is more when you're trying to attract the attention of the public :)  A clearer description will get more people interested.

Well, it's an iterative process :). Also, I didn't know about quickhide, now I see that the mods indeed are very similar. My UI is prettier though :).

On ‎2017‎-‎12‎-‎31 at 9:48 AM, Morse said:

Adjustable Mod Panel.

DONE!!!  I read this in the CKAN description field and have already installed it before I could even load the link to this page.  ABSOLUTELY INSTA-CLICK!  We're complete, through, finished, complete, terminate process, control alt bingo, THIS IS THE MOD I NEVER KNEW I WANTED.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 9:48 AM, Morse said:

Version 1.3 is out
Added support for ToolbarControl. No other changes. If you do not use ToolbarControl, you can ignore this update.

People may not realize they need this updated, in this case I'd recommend that everyone update to avoid future problems as more mods start using ToolbarController

1 hour ago, flart said:

Success story from anyone, who switched from blizzy's toolbar to this, without bugs in ~100 mods game?

this is not a replacement for blizzy's toolbar, it just helps declutter things if you have icons in both blizzy's and stock or just icons in general you don't want visible in a certain scene

59 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

this is not a replacement for blizzy's toolbar, it just helps declutter things if you have icons in both blizzy's and stock or just icons in general you don't want visible in a certain scene

that why I use blizzy... moving icon to blizzy and then hiding them for some scene...

if we can hide every icon at every scene for stock toolbar, then why we need blizzy?  moving panels around? I am ok with stock toolbar location.

Or some mods uses blizzy and doesn't use stock toolbar?   

oh, there is SCANsat, it put icons to folder for stock but to main level for blizzy. That's only different I can remember.

Edited by flart

Why have I found this so late, so useful!

Will this work with KSP 1.2.2?

It does, even in 1.3.1

Small observation though. In order for it to find all the buttons, you must visit all the screens, so that the buttons load at least once.

Edited by LEGIONBOSS

I gave it a try for replacing blizzy, because, as noticed before, I don't need extra blizzy feature, except this one.

So without going into, it has trouble with Tarsier Space Technology and some other in the active save. It maybe will work as replacement for a new save. Sometime, I will try it.

also I don't remember Crew R&R icon... but it within the list, without ckeckboxes.

Spoiler

m0WKC7S.jpg

On 2/2/2018 at 4:07 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Just curious, how do you deal with the fact that some mods change their icons depending on what they are doing?

I don't. I use icon for identification as an emergency measure, when there are no distinguishable features otherwise, like when a mod uses a home-made wrapper for several buttons, like the "Science!" mod do. If the mod uses a wrapper AND changes icons, then my mod will probably just fail.

On 2/3/2018 at 3:06 AM, Paulestrada said:

Will this work with KSP 1.2.2?

It was compiled against 1.3.1. It might work with 1.2.2, since the panel functionality wasn't changed, but no guarantees.

9 hours ago, flart said:

I gave it a try for replacing blizzy, because, as noticed before, I don't need extra blizzy feature, except this one.

So without going into, it has trouble with Tarsier Space Technology and some other in the active save. It maybe will work as replacement for a new save. Sometime, I will try it.

also I don't remember Crew R&R icon... but it within the list, without ckeckboxes.

Reveal hidden contents

m0WKC7S.jpg

There is no need in starting a new save for this mod to work (or not work, in some cases :)). I'll look into TST and what does it do with it's buttons. Maybe there is something that can be done.

As for Crew R&R, yes, the mod creates a button that is always invisible and does nothing. God knows what for. Apparently it's not a mistake, since they even bothered to draw an icon for it. Probably the functionality just wasn't finished before the mod became abandoned. I could change the behavior to not list such mods, since there is nothing you can do about them anyway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.