What is the Acronym for "Minmus"

DunaManiac

I think you may be confused as to what an acronym is.

ac·ro·nym
ˈakrəˌnim/
noun
noun: acronym; plural noun: acronyms
  1. an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g., ASCII, NASA ).

As far as what you're asking, I don't think there's anything offical for that.  (I can't think of the word for it either).  Use whatever you think sounds best.

Edited by Geonovast
Forum software is insisting the last bit is indented...

8 hours ago, Geonovast said:

I think you may be confused as to what an acronym is.

ac·ro·nym
ˈakrəˌnim/
noun
noun: acronym; plural noun: acronyms
  1. an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g., ASCII, NASA ).

As far as what you're asking, I don't think there's anything offical for that.  (I can't think of the word for it either).  Use whatever you think sounds best.

The correct word is "Demonym".

On 12/31/2017 at 3:24 PM, bewing said:

Yes, all the critters that live on Minmus are Minmusians.

Funny coincidence... About 20 chapters ago I wrote of a Minmus goddess named Minimusaea, also called "The Little Runaway"... the name was suggested by @adsii1970, and is now part of Emiko's mythology.  :)

Edited by Just Jim

To add some reference info to the discussion: list of demonym endings. I know hard facts and examples spoil the fun.

But, to expand on my answer of Minion. I needed something that was short, descriptive, and rolled off the tongue. It also needed to riff off of an existing name for Lunar aliens IRL. I realized the reference to those little yellow critters after the fact. But, it flowed well when I first used it so I kept it.

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

That's what you call the Minmusians that make it off Minmus and into orbit... :D

...which, really, could be anyone with a strong pair of legs and a fire extinguisher.

On 02/01/2018 at 11:55 AM, eddiew said:
On 02/01/2018 at 4:44 AM, 5thHorseman said:

As to the Acronym, how about...

Munlike, Infinitesimal, Non-Minty Umbilical to Space

?

I see what you did thur.

Not sure anyone else did :blush:

Moon In Non-Malevolent Universe Society

Mint Is Not My favoUrite Sorbet

Most Iguanas Near Mountains Undulate Saucily

My Interesting Nanny Makes Uber Spaghetti 

"MIN" would be my best guess at an acronym.

However, if you mean the "demonym", which is basically a plural of a group of people (eg Americans are from America, Martians are from Mars), I don't generally go for any specific one. For the one that makes the most sense, I would probably have to agree with FlyingPete. "Minmusian" sounds weird to me, but then again, so does "Venusian" or "Jovian."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.