Construct an Explosive Pulse Engine

I am aware of the fact that numerous KSP mods add (nuclear) pulse detonation engines to the game, negating the personal desire to solve the challenge for constructing such contraptions without them.

I hereby desire to set the challenge now.

Your task is:

Construct, using clever application stock or modded parts (including weapon or explosive mods), but without dedicated engine mods (Project Orion/Medusa), a spaceship which uses explosions as its means of propulsion.

Of course, F12 is not permitted. A launch vehicle is desired - especially if your craft is large - but Hyperedit may be used to place the contraption in orbit, resulting in reduced credit. Try to calculate your Delta-V.

The ranking will be made using following criteria:

- Originality and creativity

- Delta-V (Place craft in extremely high kerbolar orbit where velocity is negligible using HE, launch it and wait until all explosives are depleted, then record speed)

- Thrust (Divide DV by Maximum Propulsion Time)

- TWR.

Documentation must occur using screenshots portraying all relevant phases of the flight and systems. Videos are requested but not mandatory.

Edited by MedwedianPresident

• 1 month later...

Just as a simple proof of concept, I constructed a pulse explosive engine using a cluster of Mainsails and a small fuel tank as the "explosive" and a long stack of tweakscaled structural fuselages as a nozzle.

Ends up with a specific impulse of about 14 seconds and an effective TWR of about 190:1, assuming one pulse per second.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.