Single-stage 3-Kerbal Tylo lander

darrenc

Hello Forum!

First post here and thank you for all the information you have provided in my time learning the math behind all this! This is the first spacecraft I have "built" mathematically before touching KSP.

Apologies for the abuse of toroidial fuel tanks:

[imgur]GopYZ[/imgur]

I seem to have trouble getting imgur to work so if the above fails: https://imgur.com/a/GopYZ

Available on KerbalX

Part count is 227 (all stock). Total Delta-V is a shade over 5800 m/s with an initial TWR at Tylo of 1.04. Propulsion is three Aerospike engines. Also included are three drogue chutes to assist with Laythe, though I recommend emptying the central fuel tanks first to increase TWR first. A small amount of (non-debug) part clipping is used to make the spacecraft look more "real" . The girders which support the toroidial tanks penetrate into the tanks (there is no other way to reach the node!) and there is a Probodyne hiding under the docking port.

Fuel transfer is very difficult with so many tanks; I am on the lookout for a mod which can help. I tried Fuel Pumps but it broke my KSP.

I "designed" this ship using a program I wrote in QBASIC (yes - the old MS-DOS program which I now have to run in DOSBox) which calculated the amount of tankage (fuel/ox and tank mass) needed to achieve a specified Delta-V with a given payload. I tried different engines until I found what seemed to be the best. Does anyone still do QBASIC? I am happy to share code.

Darren C.

Edited by darrenc
Fixed imgur tag thingy

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.