The water rings of Minmus, apparently.

Geonovast

Just now, Geonovast said:

I don't see how.  Space is a little chilly.

If the planet was very hot? Or it was near a star maybe?

As I understand it, heat/cold doesn't transfer well in space either since there is no medium for it to move from one thing to another.

The universe is infinite after all...I guess anything is possible?

3 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

If the planet was very hot? Or it was near a star maybe?

As I understand it, heat/cold doesn't transfer well in space either since there is no medium for it to move from one thing to another.

The universe is infinite after all...I guess anything is possible?

Issue isn't temperature as much as it is pressure. Water can remain in a fluid state below 0c (if the water is perfectly pure). Water boils in a vacuum as there's no pressure to contain the matter into a fluid. Assuming there was a ring of gas that had it's own pressure, then it's feasible that water based fluids could form. This is in fact the focus of a science fiction book (by a name I cannot recall); where these tall thin being developed in a gaseous ring living on a tree branch. A fantastic book where these creatures live in a world where there is no world and it was entirely feasible. I believe it was by Niven who is notorious for doing his math in his books so everything going on is entirely feasible and within the realms of plausible to science.

3 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Issue isn't temperature as much as it is pressure. Water can remain in a fluid state below 0c (if the water is perfectly pure). Water boils in a vacuum as there's no pressure to contain the matter into a fluid. Assuming there was a ring of gas that had it's own pressure, then it's feasible that water based fluids could form. This is in fact the focus of a science fiction book (by a name I cannot recall); where these tall thin being developed in a gaseous ring living on a tree branch. A fantastic book where these creatures live in a world where there is no world and it was entirely feasible. I believe it was by Niven who is notorious for doing his math in his books so everything going on is entirely feasible and within the realms of plausible to science.

The book(s) was(were) The Integral Trees (so named because the mechanics of an orbiting gas torus meant the inner and outer ends of a tree would bend in opposite directions from the winds caused by orbital velocity differences), and The Smoke Ring.  The people didn't evolve there; they were humans, survivors of a mutiny of an exploration ramship (Niven never did give up on Bussard ramjets, even after it was proved they couldn't get anywhere near lightspeed).  The Smoke Ring, as they called the gas torus, orbited a neutron star or white dwarf known as "Voy", drawn off by extreme tides from a giant planet known as "Gold."

Yep, read the books a couple times...

1 minute ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

The book(s) was(were) The Integral Trees (so named because the mechanics of an orbiting gas torus meant the inner and outer ends of a tree would bend in opposite directions from the winds caused by orbital velocity differences), and The Smoke Ring.  The people didn't evolve there; they were humans, survivors of a mutiny of an exploration ramship (Niven never did give up on Bussard ramjets, even after it was proved they couldn't get anywhere near lightspeed).  The Smoke Ring, as they called the gas torus, orbited a neutron star or white dwarf known as "Voy", drawn off by extreme tides from a giant planet known as "Gold."

Yep, read the books a couple times...

That's it. Thanks.

8 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I wonder if liquid water rings around a planet could exist in real life?

Water doesn't like to be liquid, and when there's no atmosphere around it it refuses to be anything but vapor or ice. So no, unless you have a toroidal moon going all the way around the planet with high gravity, a thick atmosphere, and ocean covering the whole thing (which would theoretically be stable, if difficult to produce).

Edited by cubinator

I'm having this same bug with scatterer (at least, I think it's scatterer, and it's with the atmosphere instead of the water). It's happening to me when the surface unloads (when I go above a certain altitude) while still in map view. When I go back to normal view the atmosphere, or in your case, the water, remains on the screen. Mine flickers.

To fix this, either do a scene change or make sure to be looking at your craft when you pass that altitude (about 150-250 kilometers).

13 hours ago, cubinator said:

Water doesn't like to be liquid, and when there's no atmosphere around it it refuses to be anything but vapor or ice. So no, unless you have a toroidal moon going all the way around the planet with high gravity, a thick atmosphere, and ocean covering the whole thing (which would theoretically be stable, if difficult to produce).

It's not just water. It's literally almost everything - once you passed triple point (low pressure in here), liquid no longer exists.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.