Ditch The Royalty Free Music

On 1/1/2018 at 3:26 PM, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I'd much rather see $$$ go to another visual artist/visual coder as opposed to a musician. There is plenty of opportunity to make the game look better (just look at the mod community's efforts).

Haven't seen a mod that improves KSP's graphics without insanely bloating the performance requirements.

Music, they could improve without as much bloat.

18 hours ago, Corona688 said:

Haven't seen a mod that improves KSP's graphics without insanely bloating the performance requirements.

Music, they could improve without as much bloat.

Graphics could mean a simple stock part and planet overhaul. A mod as basic as planetshine adds a lot to the game, KS3P is a good one, SFVE is a good one... There can be a lot of improvements done pretty "cheaply" in terms of resource use. It would seem a lot of Unity's gfx capabilities aren't being used- plus there is always the option of disabling/using lower quality as is done with the current graphics. Again, Squad's finite $$$ for music or graphics? I'll take graphics please in this case. I'm not seeing the money hose being used in this project- better music is a luxury, graphics would help immersion in a bigger way .

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

On 1/15/2018 at 9:08 AM, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Graphics could mean a simple stock part and planet overhaul. A mod as basic as planetshine adds a lot to the game, KS3P is a good one, SFVE is a good one... There can be a lot of improvements done pretty "cheaply" in terms of resource use. It would seem a lot of Unity's gfx capabilities aren't being used- plus there is always the option of disabling/using lower quality as is done with the current graphics. Again, Squad's finite $$$ for music or graphics? I'll take graphics please in this case. I'm not seeing the money hose being used in this project- better music is a luxury, graphics would help immersion in a bigger way .

Me being a music nerd, I would prefer music over graphics.  I can always download graphics mods, but (as far as I know) there aren't any major music mods.  I also think that a huge portion of the "feel" of a game, especially when playing solo, comes from the music, and that would be a huge improvement.  As for profit, they could launch a page on Kickstarter or GoFundMe to implement music to the game (I'd gladly donate), or they could spend money to produce it and just sell the album.  I primarily listen to music from video games (Destiny, Halo, Battlefield, Minecraft, Skyrim, etc.) so I would definitely buy that album.

Edited by HeliosPh0enix

Yes to more music, no to ditching the existing stuff. To me, music makes the game. I don't know how people get into games if they don't have a good soundtrack right out of the gate, winamp is a sad replacement for informed thematic choices, but I'm a musician so maybe my brain's broken in that sense. The music KSP has now is iconic, I don't care what you have to say about Kevin MacLeod, free != bad. The stuff they chose hooked me immediately. Commissioning more from him hooks more music-brained people which means more sales.

On 1/15/2018 at 4:33 PM, HeliosPh0enix said:

Me being a music nerd, I would prefer music over graphics.  I can always download graphics mods, but (as far as I know) there aren't any major music mods..

Well there is the soundtrack editor mod.

Is it possible to make a shareable music pack for Soundtrack Editor? If so, I can take up that task as I already have themes for several planets:

The Sun

Eve

Earth (Kerbin) orbit and entry separate

Moon (Mun)

Minmus maybe coming soon done, it exists now

Mars (Duna)

Europa (Vall maybe)

Laythe surface

Saturn (Jool maybe)

Each planet has its own leitmotif which appears in various related songs to tell a story. For instance, Laythe's theme contains the Jool leitmotif. This way the music tells a story about each planet. 

Edited by cubinator

On 01/01/2018 at 11:03 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

KSP has reached a level of fame that I think has fully made it unique in the eyes of gamers, so famous in fact that when players encounter it's music, they can be surprised that most of it's music (aside from the title and credits music) is entirely royalty free and available to everyone. So I think it's about time that we add some more musical content to the game. Specifically content that is original and like the theme and credits music, wholly belongs to KSP. Although this may sound like more development time to make these new soundtracks, the fact is there are literally hundreds of new fresh content that Squad/T2 could inquire into, or hire independent creators to make more music.

Now, for those who think that the music truly make the game; I don't want to remove the existing royalty free tracks, just add more so that additional audio tracks can be heard as the game is played.

But this is just my thoughts.

I Think squad should hire Hans Zimmer to make music for them lol.

Edited by Space_taco

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2018 at 1:34 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

If Squad opens a donation page for us to hire him to do the music, then I will throw money in.

I'd guess Hans would be a significant percentage of Squad's annual budget.  Even if it was donations, I doubt we could meet his fee...   If somebody were to get him hooked on the game though........

I do feel the game needs music that is original so it haves it's own "personality", i did listen to ksp music in the game, but then i noticed it was loyalty free music and i started hearing it everywhere, making the game a bit stale (also music tracks are not enough and gets repetitive). I would love to hear several themes, even ones made by the community. I know the game could use more work on programming, but having new music and music sound effects (like a congrats music when getting for the first time to a planet) would be awesome for the fun.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, DAL59 said:

I have an idea for an easy, and free music source: Holtz.  Just play the apropriate section of The Planets.  

Firstly, you're not the first to suggest it. Secondly, it isn't free for use by companies afaik. Even if it was, that's a cheap solution as that doesn't add anything new. Planets is cool, but on their own it's just one piece for each planet.

On 1/3/2018 at 7:05 AM, klgraham1013 said:

I agree.  There is basically no profit to be gained from this.  It's a good idea, but one we won't see.

Sell it as DLC, bam done. I'd expect there'd be a market for it.

Personally, I'd like Through the Fire and Flames to start playing on planetary entry, and Don't Stop Me Now as you accelerate to orbit :v

On 2/11/2018 at 3:58 AM, Warzouz said:

Music, well nice

But sound design could be vastly improved. (chatterer, cracking sound, rocket sounds - not hard to do better)...

Very true. As a whole KSP’s sound design is very weak and leaves much to be desired.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.