Ditch The Royalty Free Music

Maybe you could have volume scale somewhat with distance on hyperbolic trajectories, so that the theme gradually fades in as you approach the planet and out as you leave it. Intensity of the music could increase as you go faster, closer to the surface.

1 hour ago, cubinator said:

Intensity of the music could increase as you go faster, closer to the surface.

Hmmm With those low passes.....

dundundundudndundundDUNDUNDUDNUNDDUUUUU DUNNNNd boom.

On 1/1/2018 at 6:03 PM, Just Jim said:

musicians and bands are not cheap, and Squad is not a real big company.

I'd say selling millions makes you a big company.  Either way, that's beside the point.  I think we can all agree that Take Two, the owner of KSP, is a big company.

On 1/1/2018 at 5:16 PM, Cheif Operations Director said:

I think the music should stay the same but when you enter a SOI of a body you can orbit i.e. Mun Duna they should have their own theme that is only played when your in that SOI.

I approve of this idea.  Reminds me of level themes in classic video games.

31 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I think we can all agree that Take Two, the owner of KSP, is a big company.

I really don't know anything about them. But from a business perspective, the question is this: does hiring a band and/or musician bring them any kind of profit? In other words, would adding a few more songs equal selling a few more games? Enough to justify the expense?

If not, then it's never, ever going to happen, unless someone volunteers to do the songs in exchange for the publicity.

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

I really don't know anything about them. But from a business perspective, the question is this: does hiring a band and/or musician bring them any kind of profit? In other words, would adding a few more songs equal selling a few more games? Enough to justify the expense?

If not, then it's never, ever going to happen, unless someone volunteers to do the songs in exchange for the publicity.

I agree.  There is basically no profit to be gained from this.  It's a good idea, but one we won't see.

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

I agree.  There is basically no profit to be gained from this.  It's a good idea, but one we won't see.

I'm not counting it out 100%... There is always the possibility of some up and coming band and/or musician that might be willing to do it for free... or nearly free... in exchange for the possible exposure to a new and larger audience.

I think that a modder should be able to do something along these lines

Have a directory for each SOI in the game where the player can drop mp3's of the music they would like to hear while in that SOI ... make it so that if there is more than 1 music file in a given directory then one of the files is chosen at random to be played with the next track being chosen at random after the first is finished playing

Just an idea but I think it could work ... I belive there is a mod that does something like this already

Soundtrack Editor IIRC

Edited by DoctorDavinci

The Unoriginal Music is the most lacking part of KSP for me. I think you can always hear it wasn‘t made with the game in mind. The Menu and Credits theme on the other hand fit perfectly which only worsenes the problem by creating such a contrast. So yes i am very much in favor for more original music.

Edited by Canopus

1 minute ago, klesh said:

They qualify as big:

OK, but I still stand by the rest of my comment:

5 hours ago, Just Jim said:

If they see no profit in it, they're probably not going to be interested. That's just how businesses work.

7 hours ago, Just Jim said:

OK, but I still stand by the rest of my comment:

If they see no profit in it, they're probably not going to be interested. That's just how businesses work.

Finally making their independently developed game worthy of having their trademark on it, might be one big step.

On its own without anything else, it wouldn’t add much, but when packaged with other big updates, the additional hype generated from a properly sized update; say one with significant audio updates, visual quality of effects and more packed into the same update, would make it one of many hyped features. 

4 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

On its own without anything else, it wouldn’t add much, but when packaged with other big updates, the additional hype generated from a properly sized update; say one with significant audio updates, visual quality of effects and more packed into the same update, would make it one of many hyped features. 

Oh, absolutely! I totally agree, if it was included in some big audio-visual improvement package they could really hype, then it could be profitable, and worth the effort.

1. Yes more music.

2. As for the profit angle. It's called merchandising, where the real money from the game should be made.</Yiddish accent> I won't bore you with the whole quote. KSP the OST, KSP the Image album (the Orchestral Bombing of "The O-4 March", the waltz styled "Fireball Slide", the slow meditative "Coasting the Void", the power rock of "Test Flight Alpha", the mournful "Contact Lost", and many more.)

3. Procedural music. The first X-wing and Tie Fighter games did it, iirc. I know Portal 2 uses it.

Music preferences are very subjective.  This would run into the "pleasing all the people all the time" barrier.   I'd much rather have the money spent on moar parts (MOAR BOOSTERS!, moar RCS variety) and balance passes (why does a winglet cost as much as a rocket engine?).

Some sort of adaptive playlist system might be neat, but personally, I'm often watching TV or reports or something on the second monitor anyhow and would ignore such a system anyhow.

On 03/01/2018 at 12:32 PM, Just Jim said:

I had the same thoughts, I now use a simple guide to see if a feature or suggestion has the slightest chance of happening.

Will these actions bring more profit?

If not then they will not be done.

Even if more profit can be brought, will these actions bring the most profit if done for KSP 2 as opposed to if done for KSP 1?

If so then they will not be done for KSP 1.

Eh... Personally I like the music as it is. I mean, what exactly is wrong with Kevin MacLeod's music? 

It's a bit, idk, cartooney, but the whole game is cartooney. To me it seems perfectly fit for the kerbals, who find their rocket parts in Jeb's junkyard.

That said, I wouldn't mind adding more tracks to the game, as listening to the same things over and over again, whether they are paid for or royaltee free, does get to be a bit old hat.

Without having read every single post in this topic:

I'm fine with the ingame music as it is now, despite the fact that it SOMETIMES starts to get on my nerves.

I have a suggestion for any music that might be added to the game someday: It could be like in Splinter Cell (at least the original games) where there's a track with parts of different intensities for different situations. 

If it was me I'd have a different theme for every main body's SOI and a slight variation of that for each of its moons. Depending on the situation that the player's craft is put through a certain part of each theme is played (like in Splinter Cell the calm parts of the themes are played when sneaking around, the more intense parts are played when sneaking up on a guard or one of them passing by real close and the most intense parts are played when being detected and during fights).

Let's just say ur ship is entering an atmosphere with no heat shield and barely holds up. For this a very intense and dramatic theme would fit very well. 

Now the same situation but with a massively overbuilt heat shield. The music for that could be much calmer as the danger level is much lower, but it should still be more than when the ship is coasting through open space.

Edited by DualDesertEagle

How about this:

1. Separate the game into different "musical situations" (like Title Screen, Mun Orbit, Duna Landing, VAB Design, etc.)
  2. Allow the player to choose exactly what song or songs are played in certain situations.
  3. Make it so that multiple songs could be assigned to a situation, and the game treats it like a playlist on shuffle.

This way, Squad can include whatever music they want by default, and all of us could change it to what we please, and save it that way. Joe Blow Kerman over there could use the default track, Kräzy Lärry Kermän could change it all to death metal, and Hanako Kerman-chan could listen to her favorite anime sound track.

Heck, if you wanted to, you could just replace all the music with the title screen song. And, it would all be easy to do in a simple and concise menu in the settings, with a file dialogue to pick MP3s from anywhere.

10 hours ago, MDZhB said:

How about this:

1. Separate the game into different "musical situations" (like Title Screen, Mun Orbit, Duna Landing, VAB Design, etc.)
  2. Allow the player to choose exactly what song or songs are played in certain situations.
  3. Make it so that multiple songs could be assigned to a situation, and the game treats it like a playlist on shuffle.

Is there not a mod about that can already do this?

Yes to more music...Maybe we can help on this.

I'm sure there's more royalty free music out there that would fit with KSP and broaden the library. What if we suggested royalty free music that we come across and maybe use in our personal playlists - then we provide that list up to the Devs for their consideration

I expect they don't want to devote the time to combing through music, but if we give them a head start with suggestions they might be able to incorporate them.

Another option - there are lots of music hobbyists out there...some may even play KSP. What about a contest for original music with the award being inclusion of their music into the game.

Edited by Tyko

On 1/1/2018 at 7:03 PM, Just Jim said:

I think I'd have to agree... musicians and bands are not cheap, and Squad is not a real big company.

However, if some musician(s) stepped forward and volunteered I'd be totally for some new tracks added in to spice things up a little.  :)

I'm drawing a blank on the artist that did the music, but I'd bet if he was approached to write some custom music for the game, he'd do it.  I know he's done custom work before.  I'd also like to believe they would be able to set up the license to allow for the music to be used in any KSP related format, as long as credit is given.    I'd consider that a win for all involved, including the players.  Keep the original music for the menus and such, but as mentioned, add custom music for various SOI's.    It would be the KSP version of Holst's Planets:

On 1/4/2018 at 1:24 PM, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Kevin MacLeod's

There he is.   Knew somebody in the thread would have posted it. 

I have the idea at the back of my mind of getting a theme from classical music for each planets/bodies. With a lot of Gustav Holst.

My take (incomplete):

Kerbol: ?

Moho: Saint Saens: Danse Macabre

Eve: Holst: Mars (yup, Mars, 'cause it feels more natural if we switch them)

* Gilly: Liszt: Grey clouds (an impressionist piano piece works well for a small moon)

Kerbin: Strauss: On the blue danube waltz (doubles as a shout-out)

* Mun: Beethoven: moonlight sonata (1st mvt)

* Minmus: Beethoven: moonlight sonata (2nd mvt)

Duna: Holst: Venus

* Ike: Holst: Mercury

Dres: Holst: Saturn

Jool: Holst: Jupiter (but of course)

* Laythe: Holst: Uranus

* Vall: Mussorgsky/Ravel: Pictures at an exhibition, first piece

* Tylo: Grieg: In the hall of the mountain king

* Bop: Mussorgsky: Night on the bald mountain

* Pol: ?

Eeloo: Holst: Neptune

Bonus: when you get less than 100m from a monolith, Also spracht Zarathustra starts playing

Edited by MinimalMinmus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.