Add a Saturn Analog

Opinion  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Add Saturn

I think that a Saturn like gas giant would be a neat addition. The rings should be made out of actual asteroids though they should actually pose a threat to your craft if you hit them. 

I know this is probroly a mod and a common suggestion but none the less It should be added for console players can use it too. 

1 hour ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I think that a Saturn like gas giant would be a neat addition. The rings should be made out of actual asteroids though they should actually pose a threat to your craft if you hit them. 

I know this is probroly a mod and a common suggestion but none the less It should be added for console players can use it too. 

This is none other than one of the most recommended mods, OMP.  No ring collision damage, sadly. I agree that OPM should be stock.                 

2 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I agree. If they aren't adding any more planets then at the least they should give Jool, like all gas giants, rings with collisions.

Would like to see a Uranus/Neptune Analog merged into one planet.

Big planet with lots of gravity, and looks like a gas giant. However it's got a solid surface below in the fog which you can land on. The only way to get out is launch from one of the mountain peaks which poke above the atmosphere.

Ring collision damage and having the rings made of asteroids would be awesome, but they would be nearly impossible to model in the game engine and would destroy performance.  Imagine the game trying to simulate millions (or even just hundreds) of separate bodies in orbit around a planet.  It would be really cool, but probably above the ability of the game engine and user computers.

My best guess is that rings would either have to be cosmetic, or modeled as rings of instant death. While there's not many large "asteroids", there's plenty of dust particles to make life interesting.

Beyond that, I could definitely go for having another planet added to the stock system.

I just don't want them to be able to be flown through and also when your in them like directly to be able to see them. So they look 3 dimensional. I want to be able to do a Cassini dive and have to navigate and asteroid feild or pull a mellinium Falcon and evade large asteroids. That's why not just solely for graphics. Sure a 2D ring would run better but still. Maby the rings are listed as a moon so the entirety of the rings in one body with holes in it this way only 1 things needs to be calcuated and it's still 3D.

15 hours ago, HeliosPh0enix said:

Ring collision damage and having the rings made of asteroids would be awesome, but they would be nearly impossible to model in the game engine and would destroy performance.  Imagine the game trying to simulate millions (or even just hundreds) of separate bodies in orbit around a planet.  It would be really cool, but probably above the ability of the game engine and user computers.

Normally I'd agree, but SVT has an option to make the ground scatter have collision properties, and it has little impact on performance really.

I assume it does this by only making the ones in close range actual physics objects.

Perhaps an asteroid ring could use a similar system.

Me personally, I'm against the addition of "moar planats," because I think we ought to make the current ones interesting and have actual reasons to go to them other than just "I did it."

I'm not gonna fight against it though, like you won't see me protesting  planet xyz. I just think it would be a better use of time to fix up what we've got first.

8 minutes ago, Greenfire32 said:

Me personally, I'm against the addition of "moar planats," because I think we ought to make the current ones interesting and have actual reasons to go to them other than just "I did it."

I'm not gonna fight against it though, like you won't see me protesting  planet xyz. I just think it would be a better use of time to fix up what we've got first.

I normally 100% agree with you, honestly I just want a gas giant with rings that's really it.

A gas giant with rings would be really neat, particularly if the rings had interesting/useful properties. For example, the rings could have a small ore concentration, so that Convert-O-Trons could operate without an ore source while flying through the ring. Or the rings could be the only source of xenon outside of Kerbin.

One of the bad things about adding another gas giant is that it's yet another planet you simply can't land on. This could be remedied if, rather than modeling it as an atmosphere of infinite depth with gradually-increasing density, it was modeled as a thin, high-density atmosphere on top of a low-density ocean. This would enable you to land and take off again, if you have something low-density enough that you can float with it. So it would be less gas giant and more ice giant.

7 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

A gas giant with rings would be really neat, particularly if the rings had interesting/useful properties. For example, the rings could have a small ore concentration, so that Convert-O-Trons could operate without an ore source while flying through the ring. Or the rings could be the only source of xenon outside of Kerbin.

One of the bad things about adding another gas giant is that it's yet another planet you simply can't land on. This could be remedied if, rather than modeling it as an atmosphere of infinite depth with gradually-increasing density, it was modeled as a thin, high-density atmosphere on top of a low-density ocean. This would enable you to land and take off again, if you have something low-density enough that you can float with it. So it would be less gas giant and more ice giant.

Perhaps. 

But many 5 hestsheilds would be nessicary to get threw the atmosphere, like extreme engineering. 

9 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Perhaps. 

But many 5 hestsheilds would be nessicary to get threw the atmosphere, like extreme engineering. 

Oh, definitely. It would be a "You thought landing on Eve was a piece of cake? Try this" situation. But it would actually be possible, unlike Jool, which is instant death no matter what.

Another thing that would be neat (and incorporate a little of the real-solar-system ice giants) would be to make the planet's rotational axis and its rings VERY heavily inclined, further complicating missions.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, MinimalMinmus said:

There's no way you could reach the liquid layers of an ice giant without getting destroyed. At this point, the pressure is measured in thousands of atmospheres.

A Saturn Analog doesn't mean a 1:1 copy of it. Although I do see your point. I just want something with rings. That's a gas giant and its rings are 3D in some since.

On 1/28/2018 at 1:01 PM, MinimalMinmus said:

There's no way you could reach the liquid layers of an ice giant without getting destroyed. At this point, the pressure is measured in thousands of atmospheres.

Obviously. And no EVA suit could protect you on the surface of Venus. And Kerbin's core would need to be neutronium to have 1 gee on the surface with such low escape velocity. 

I like the asteroid rings idea but if there were enough asteroids to look like a proper asteroid field ring, the game would spaz out and die as soon as you got in range. I think a good compromise would be to have a hologram ring with a couple hundred asteroids (total) floating around in there that respawn if they're removed from the ring area

Edited by Fireheart318
rings =/= asteroid field

Just now, Fireheart318 said:

I like the asteroid rings idea but if there were enough asteroids to look like a serious asteroid field, the game would spaz out and die as soon as you got in range. I think a good compromise would be to have a hologram ring with a couple hundred asteroids (total) floating around in there that respawn if they're removed from the ring area

Agreed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.