Kopernicus - Modifying the existing planetary system?

What is this?
Kopernicus Expansion was a mod written by @MrHappyFace that added a variety of visual effects planet makers could use with Kopernicus.  It had some pretty cool features, like the Comet Tails, or the ModularNoise PQSMod.
So I used a bit of my free time to update most of the features to KSP 1.3 / 1.2.2 and newer Kopernicus versions.

Link to the original thread:

So, what are the features?

• Comet Tails
    • Realistic, good-looking comet tails who are rendered with a special shader (using turbulence noise).
    • The tail will fade and change it's intensity based on distance from the sun.
    • Pictures:
  • EmissiveFX:
  • Footprints
    • Displays footprints for Kerbals on EVA (if enabled on the planet)
    • Add "allowFootprints = true" to the PQS nodes of the planets that should show footprints
    • Pictures: http://i.imgur.com/i4xLN9u.gifv
  • ModularNoise:
    • Allows you to compose your own noise function
    • You can combine predefined noises (like perlin, billow etc.) using operators (like add, mult, power etc.)
    • Example: https://pastebin.com/MAgLGnXd
  • Procedural Gas Giants
    • Custom shader that renders storms and other effects on the otherwise static scaled space map
    • Can be used for every type of body (in theory - untested)
    • Demo: (very early version)

FAQ

• What about the other features of Kopernicus Expansion?
    • I will probably add them. I am particulary interested in the particle grass, and the refractive atmosphere stuff sounds interesting too
  • What about the aliens / creatures?
    • No. If you want feel free to update and release them seperately, but I won't add them, because I dont think they add anything useful. Sorry.
  • Which Kopernicus version do I need?
    • You need at least 1.3.0-3 or it's backport 1.2.2-8. Older versions will not work
  • Do you have examples?
    • Not right now. I will write up example configs at some point, especially for Modular Noise, but for the moment please look through the old Kopernicus Expansion thread. Most of the configs haven't changed. (Modular Noise has though, so you can ignore that)
  • Am I allowed to bundle theese dll's with my planet mod, or will my users have to download them seperately?
    • Ok, this is a bit tricky. Kopernicus Expansion is licensed under the GPL, which is a viral license that will force every derivate to use the GPL too (if I could I would've changed that, but hey!). I am by no means a lawyer, but after reading the GPL I have the impression that
      the license won't go viral on the configs, because they are not a derivate of KopernicusExpansion. They require it, but all of the parsing goes through Kopernicus (otherwise it would be like saying that KSP has to be GPL'd because some GPL mod reads your settings file)
      If I am wrong with this assumption, please correct me!

TL;DR: You can ship the assemblies with your planet pack as long as you state that they are GPL licensed.
  • Why no ingame editors?
    • Because fragmentation is bad, and before I start adding a seperate editor toolset to this mod, I would rather extend KittopiaTech to be moddable so I can integrate the CometTails and so on.
  • Is this an end-user mod?
    • No. It's meant to be used by planet makers to make their planets fancy again.
  • Don't you have more questions?
    • No I am bad at posing myself questions about stuff I made. :P

Download
You can download KopernicusExpansion on Github: https://github.com/StollD/KopernicusExpansion-Continued/releases
It is licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License: https://gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt
KopernicusExpansion depends on Kopernicus which is licensed under the Lesser GPL: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/140580-130-122-kopernicus-release-2-may-30/

Copyright:
@MrHappyFace - Creator of KopernicusExpansion - when he decides to come back he can take whatever I made and continue to build on that
@Thomas P. - Update to KSP 1.3.0 / 1.2.2, small improvements
@GregroxMun - The one who is pushing me to do a release asap :P

Like my mods?
Please consider supporting me and my mods on Paypal! I would greatly appreaciate it, since I don't get much money anyways. :)
However note, that this doesn't grant you anything special, but it will help to keep my motivation up. Therefor it's just an extremly nice way to say "thanks". :)

Edited by Thomas P.

im getting a flood of null refs immediately upon loading the game and an infinite load screen after the main menu.

OUTPUT LOG

tested with only the latest Kopernicus 1.3.0-2 + dependencies

I tried with all .dll and also tried with only the procedural gas giants .dll

Edited by Galileo

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

im getting a flood of null refs immediately upon loading the game and an infinite load screen after the main menu.

OUTPUT LOG

tested with only the latest Kopernicus 1.3.0-2 + dependencies

I tried with all .dll and also tried with only the procedural gas giants .dll

Try with kopernicus 1.3.0-3 (link on github)

Ok so so no errors with 1.3.0-3, but I just tried GPP with the footprints dll and got nothing. I wrote a cfg to attach EVAFootprints to all bodies and the addition is happening in the MM cache so all bodies have EVAFootprints in the PQS node but i have yet to see a footprint anywhere.

Here is the cfg i wrote. I don't think the sun needed to be excluded, I was just testing it to see if maybe it was an issue.

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]:NEEDS[KopernicusExpansion]
{
	@Body:HAS[~name[Sun]]
	{
		@PQS
		{
			EVAFootprints{}
		}
	}
}

The console tells me a footprinter was applied to EVAKerbal (jebediah Kerbin) etc.. so its working, I suppose, but there aren't any prints being made.

EDIT: Ok, just tried procedural gas giants dll, and again, nothing is happening.

Using the example from the original thread, tweaked to work with GPP:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body[Gauss]
	{
		@ScaledVersion
		{
			ProceduralGasGiant
			{
				rampTexture = Data/gauss_ramp
				cloudSpeed = 3
				hasStorms = true
				stormMap = Data/JoolStorms
				stormFrequency = 1.77
				stormDistortion = 0.33
				seed = 738314
				distortion = 0.009
				frequency = 13.074
				lacunarity = 1.163
				gain = 1.262
			}
		}
	}
}

Well, I guess ill try again tomorrow. Cheers!

PS,
I also tried with stock, just to be sure, and still nothing happend.

This may be a dumb question but its not specified anywhere as far as i can tell. Do we need the original KE for this to work? IE: the settings config and KopernicusExpansions.dll?

Edited by Galileo

7 hours ago, Galileo said:

<le snip>

EVAFootprints: Yeah, sorry, it is Kopernicus/Body/allowFootprints = true now.

ProceduralGasGiants: Logs

You don't need the original Kopernicus Expansion

Edited by Thomas P.

3 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

EVAFootprints: Yeah, sorry, it is Kopernicus/Body/allowFootprints = true now.

ProceduralGasGiants: Logs

You don't need the original Kopernicus Expansion

Ok, i tried allowFootprints = true in the body node and that also didn't work.

HERE is the output log from a stock game with only procedural gas giants and footsteps.

I included the cfgs i used, the MM cache, and output log. I did not include the example Jool storm texture or ramp.

Edited by Galileo

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

Ok, i tried allowFootprints = true in the body node and that also didn't work.

HERE is the output log from a stock game with only procedural gas giants and footsteps.

I included the cfgs i used, the MM cache, and output log. I did not include the example Jool storm texture or ramp.

Okay, so this was a bit tricky. There was a bug in the footprints code (interestingly that was in the original code too). Also, I should learn to read my own code: It's Body/PQS/allowFootprints = true

Re: Procedural Gas Giants: There was a bug in the parser that prevented the code from getting executed. I fixed it and reuploaded release 1.3.0-1, as well as Kopernicus 1.3.0-3. Redownloading them should fix the issue.

My apologies

@Thomas P. Something appears to be wrong with the comet tails (this is in 1.2.2). They do load at least, but their shader doesn't seem to be working the same as it did in the old KopernicusExpansion from the images. This is what I saw for a pair of comet tails set around Gilly (and I saw similar when I placed comet tails around different bodies). 

iR1iD1i.png

Edit: Also, I just noticed that the dust tail (not the ion one) I set on Gilly rotates with the moon. I'll have to see if it does that with other celestial objects, more specifically, any orbiting the Sun. 

Edit2: I shall see if moving to 1.3 and its associated Kopernicus release fixes the issue or not

Edit3: The issue occurs in 1.3 too

Edit4: The dust tail did rotate with the comet for an object orbiting the Sun, too

Edit5: Log file, obviously (from 1.2.2)

Edited by LaytheDragon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, 1990eam said:

How excatly do I install this mod? Should I download all the folders and drop them in the Gamedata folder? Or somewhere inside Kopernicus?

• click on the download link in the OP
  • download the "KEX-whatever.zip" archives you want to use
  • open the archive
  • you will find a GameData folder with inside a KopernicusExpansion folder
  • extract the KopernicusExpansion folder inside the GameData folder of your KSP install
  • keep in mind that they have not been officially updated to 1.3.1 so they might not work
  • if you enjoy the mod, give feedback to the devs
Edited by Sigma88

• 2 months later...

Hello, I am in the process of creating a basic gas planet and I would like to "release" it to learn about the creation process of mods in general, but especially of licenses and the various requirements for uploading mods in KSP. I have a few specific questions, but a general tutorial on "How to properly release an addon in KSP" would be way more helpful.

1. Where can I find all the licenses that are applicable to a KSP mod, and how do I know I can or cannot use it?

2. How do I release my addon on an addon download site such as Curseforge, Spacedock, Github (I've never used these sites as a creator)? Also, how do I release the addon's source code on GitHub, if it's any different?

3. Is there anything else that I need to consider in releasing my addon?

And if anyone has some experience in Kopernicus...

1. When orbiting near my planet the atmosphere appears blue even though it is supposed to be some kind of orange color. Here is a copy of my cfg relating to the atmosphere. This is the only code dealing with the atmosphere.

ScaledVersion
		{
			type = Atmospheric
			fadeStart = 0
			fadeEnd = 0

Material
			{
				texture = MyPlanetPack/MyGasGiant/Textures/MyGasGiant_color.png
				shininess = 0.1
				specular = 0.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

rimpower = 2.06
				rimblend = 0.5

Gradient
				{
					0.0 = 1,0.8501,0.4392,1
					0.6 = 1,0.87843,0.6,1
					1.0 = 0.0196,0.0196,0.0196,1
				}
			}
		}

Atmosphere
		{
			ambientColor = 0.8902,0.7451,0.4,1
			lightColor = 0.8902,0.7451,0.4,1

enabled = true
			oxygen = true
			altitude = 160000.0
		}

And here is what it looks like in game

Album https://imgur.com/a/rPDX0 will appear when post is submitted

2. Can anyone provide me with a personal Gas Giant texture/color map? Preferably something very plain that is like Uranus or Neptune, or with low contrast bands like Saturn has (the placeholder texture is actually a recolored Uranus one made by somebody in a public domain texture thread), but citrus orange in color. (deeper orange than the pictures)

3. How would I go about reparenting Moho to my planet? I would like it to orbit close to the Sun but there is so much stuff in the way.

4. How can I add Kerbin clouds to the planet with an Eve/Scatterer/etc. configuration? These mods do not appear to say much about how to add such things as clouds and haze to your planets.

5. How do I define a color for Distant Object Enhancement to use on my planet?

Other than that, I seem to have everything down in the mod. I may ask further questions later though.

Really hoping someone actually responds to this...

thanks @softweir

Edited by Pavel ☭

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.