Service Bay Rovers

Wcmille

I gave up on the whole putting them in service bays thing a long time ago.

The physics are just too likely to go bananas as you try to drive it out, and it forces the rover itself to be very compromised in design in order to fit.

Just strap them to the side of the lander or hang them underneath it.

That said; I think I do have a few, I'll put some pics up in a min.

Here's one. Although I ended up just slapping it on the back of the lander eventually. (It got stuck trying to drive out like half the time.)

62152996CB6FBB6448336257BF0BA7F86211A3B4

EDIT: So after looking around for more rovers in service bays I realized I didn't have any I'd ever actually put to practical use. So I decided to build a new one just out of curiosity and I came to a realization about why it's so hard to build a good rover and fit it in a service bay. A picture says a thousand words so It's under the spoiler.

Spoiler

PYSAahe.jpg

Anyways, here's a little bare-bones 2 seater I built while I was testing things. I wonder how many Kerbals you could get in a rover that fits in a Mk2 bay? Almost sounds like a good challenge. Lol.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

Not sure if this counts (as it cannot get from cargo bay without force and separators), but still. RC-001S core and QBE core at top (to switch "control from here" and use SAS to stay on wheels), advanced inline stabilizer, two batteries, two RTGs and some science stuff for exploration.

pX9ANuO.png
4GWQJDL.png

Actually, it is possible to make unicycle rover, advanced stabilizer do enough to keep it in vertical position even with just one wheel. And if change batteries to flat square ones - it can get into service bay with small separator. Getting out of bay is a bit tricky though, you have to switch directions randomly fast and eventually it'll pop out. But no way to get it back after, so just one-time use. I guess, small 3/4 wheels thingie is more practical for the task. :)

• 3 months later...

If you cannot fit a rover in a service bay...

Das Auto:

Lz3mI8X.png  tqEFOk4.png

Der Kerballenwagen

...why not fit a service bay onto a rover?

Fits my 2.5m gauge standard for rocket transport.  I'm planning to experiment with an inline fairing design, too, just because it will be lighter.

Edited by Hotel26

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,
I have designed my own little rover which fits in a 2.5m service bay and thought u guys might like it, it has a mystery goo on board and a thermometer and pressmat for getting some small science data, its relatively stable on the mun and for added convenience you can stow it back inside and secure it back in using the CC-R2 connector ports from KAS 

Album gcBEe0C will appear when post is submitted

https://imgur.com/a/gcBEe0C

Edited by Mrmrbrown89
Link not working properly I'm probably just stupid and don't know how to put it in properly but I've attached the link to the imgur album anyway

• 8 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.