Leaving community, dropping mod support.

RealGecko

In past two month I had no will for both playing and modding the game. So I decided to drop support of all of my mods. Everyone willing to continue support of any of my mods is free to do so with one condititon: you cannot rename any mod. So no "continued", "revisited", "revamped", "retextured", "refurbished" etc. Leave the original name as I did with Kartographer and Lights Out.

Anyone willing to overtake must write mod name in this thread and his/her username from SpaceDock, so I will add the person to addititonal authors, thus allowing the person to update the mod.

Every mod from SpaceDock is properly indexed by CKAN, so no trouble will occur.Cheers!

No Crew Requirement Continued - @Mrcarrot now rules on.

Dock Safe - @severedsolo is senior safety officer.

Keep it Straight - @maja rules the party.

Who am I? - @maja knows the answer!

KEI - is now overtaken by @linuxgurugamer.

Bon Voyage - @maja did really impressive job for the mod. He's in charge now

Lights Out -

Spoiler

continued by @linuxgurugamer.

Flight Plan - ruled by @linuxgurugamer.

Overdrive - @linuxgurugamer now ROOOCKS.

Simple Construction - @Ericwi is senior engineer now.

Not So Simple Construction - @Mrcarrot now in charge.

Simple Logistics - @zer0Kerbal is chief engineer.

Warp Drive - is now ruled by @FreeThinker, as soon as @ladeng provides correct username from SpaceDock he will be added to authors list too.

Orbital Colony - @linuxgurugamer is chief engineer now.

UICore - ruled by @linuxgurugamer.

Kartographer - ruled by @linuxgurugamer.

Edited by RealGecko
I'm out!

Sorry to see you go.  I think everyone will be happy to respect your wishes on naming and recognizing a successor for each mod.

It's important to note that most of these mods appear to be under GPL3, except:

• Lights Out - MIT
  • Overdrive - BSD
  • OrbitalColony - CC-BY-NC-4.0
  • Kartographer - custom

The licenses for the other mods allows anyone to pick up the mod under certain conditions (like giving attribution, and in OrbitalColony's case no commercial use), so there's no problem there, but Kartographer's license is.. weird.  It looks like satnet gave you explicit permission to continue the mod; you'd have to do the same, as the "SatNet Mod License" doesn't allow just anyone to pick it up: "derivative works may not be distributed without permission".  It's also not 100% clear that satnet gave you authority to give derivative authority to other people.  I don't expect satnet to sue you, but this is why using standardized licenses are a good thing - they take care of all the edge cases.  Sadly unless satnet shows up and you both agree to relicense the work, or assign copyright to someone else (who could then relicense), the code is stuck in that license.

Since I've worked with it in the past, I'm willing to pick up KEI

Same name on Spacedock & Github

Sorry to see you go.  

FYI, the only reason I usually change names is because I don't have access to the original distribution network, so the name change is needed to avoid issues.  Since you are willing to provide access to Spacedock, I'll be very happy to continue KEI as is.

10 hours ago, RealGecko said:

In past two month I had no will for both playing and modding the game. So I decided to drop support of all of my mods. Everyone willing to continue support of any of my mods is free to do so with one condititon: you cannot rename any mod. So no "continued", "revisited", "revamped", "retextured", "refurbished" etc. Leave the original name as I did with Kartographer and Lights Out.

Anyone willing to overtake must write mod name in this thread and his/her username from SpaceDock, so I will add the person to addititonal authors, thus allowing the person to update the mod.

Every mod from SpaceDock is properly indexed by CKAN, so no trouble will occur.

Cheers!

Can you keep the OP updated with the names of the people who have said they will take over specific mods?

Thanks

Moving to Add-on Discussion, since this isn't a release.

@RealGecko:  You are of course free to put any licensing restrictions you want on your own mod (e.g. "must keep the same name" or whatever) ... but please understand that this forum thread is not an appropriate place to do that.

Mod licenses need to be in the mods themselves.  If you want to put conditions on them, please update the license on your mods and then make sure that's distributed everywhere the mod license needs to be.  Specifically, it needs to be,

• in the forum thread for your mod
  • in the downloadable mod package itself

Do that, and you're covered because your license makes your requirements clear.  Stuff that you say in this thread is basically "just talking", because the thing that actually matters is the mod's license, and chatting here doesn't update the license.

Also:  Please understand that any changes you make to the license do not retroactively apply to previous versions of your mod (from before you changed the license). You can't un-ring a rung bell.  Any previous versions of your mods already have whatever-license-you-released-them-with, and you can't retroactively change that.  I haven't actually looked at your mods to see what license you have on them, but just as an example:  suppose you previously released a version of your mod that had the MIT license, which is a wide-open one that says basically anyone can do anything they want as long as they give you credit.  Well... you can certainly release a new version of your mod with a different license, if you want, but the previous version with the original (very permissive) license would still be out there, and you don't have the legal power to revoke that, which means anyone who wanted to could grab the prior version of the mod and do whatever they want with it.

If it's the other way around, though-- for example, if you previously had a very restrictive license, and what you're doing now is to "open the doors" as you head off into the sunset-- then you've got no problem and you can totally do that.  :)

Just want to make sure you're aware that you can't actually retroactively apply additional restrictions to something that you previously released.

Thank you for your understanding.

3 hours ago, Snark said:

Moving to Add-on Discussion, since this isn't a release.

@RealGecko:  You are of course free to put any licensing restrictions you want on your own mod (e.g. "must keep the same name" or whatever) ... but please understand that this forum thread is not an appropriate place to do that.

Mod licenses need to be in the mods themselves.  If you want to put conditions on them, please update the license on your mods and then make sure that's distributed everywhere the mod license needs to be.  Specifically, it needs to be,

• in the forum thread for your mod
  • in the downloadable mod package itself

Do that, and you're covered because your license makes your requirements clear.  Stuff that you say in this thread is basically "just talking", because the thing that actually matters is the mod's license, and chatting here doesn't update the license.

Also:  Please understand that any changes you make to the license do not retroactively apply to previous versions of your mod (from before you changed the license). You can't un-ring a rung bell.  Any previous versions of your mods already have whatever-license-you-released-them-with, and you can't retroactively change that.  I haven't actually looked at your mods to see what license you have on them, but just as an example:  suppose you previously released a version of your mod that had the MIT license, which is a wide-open one that says basically anyone can do anything they want as long as they give you credit.  Well... you can certainly release a new version of your mod with a different license, if you want, but the previous version with the original (very permissive) license would still be out there, and you don't have the legal power to revoke that, which means anyone who wanted to could grab the prior version of the mod and do whatever they want with it.

If it's the other way around, though-- for example, if you previously had a very restrictive license, and what you're doing now is to "open the doors" as you head off into the sunset-- then you've got no problem and you can totally do that.  :)

Just want to make sure you're aware that you can't actually retroactively apply additional restrictions to something that you previously released.

Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you @Snark for the clarification.

I think, however, that most people will respect his wishes.  I certainly will.

10 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Yep, I expect so.  Just want to make sure that @RealGecko himself knows the score.  I'd hate for him to think he's got a guarantee of something that he doesn't.  If he's fine with "yeah, we're just chatting here and I'm hoping people will respect my wishes but I understand that they're not actually required to," and doesn't care all that much if people don't, then fine.  :)

But if he really cares a lot, and really wants it to be a requirement, and thinks that his statement here constitutes such (which it doesn't)... and if he could have a requirement just by adding it to his license... but he didn't because he didn't realize that doing thing A gets what he wants but thing B doesn't... well, that would be unfortunate.  It would be a missed opportunity for him, and I wouldn't want him to miss it, if it's something that really matters to him.

My experience is that stories tend to end much more happily when everyone's on the same page.  :)

13 hours ago, hab136 said:

but Kartographer's license is.. weird

That one is definitely an issue.

13 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Since I've worked with it in the past, I'm willing to pick up KEI

Done.

13 hours ago, ladeng said:

I think i can have a try:P to takeover the WarpDrive.

Github:shenzhou05

Spacedock:shenzhou

Did not work with SpaceDock name. Check it please.

9 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@RealGecko since I'm quite familiar with it already, I'm willing to maintain and improve your WarpDrive mod but if @ladeng want to have a spin at it let him have it.

You can collaborate. I added you to authors list.

6 hours ago, Snark said:

It's not a restriction, it's a demand of common sense. There's already too many "continued"s.

Screenshot_20180104_102149.png

Thank you for your work, and for making the effort to keep the community aware of your decision. 

Dare I say, "Bon voyage!"?

No?  Ok.  See you around the forums, then. :cool:

<exit, stage right, ducking>

1 hour ago, RealGecko said:

It's not a restriction, it's a demand of common sense. There's already too many "continued"s.

Yup, makes sense.  Just wanted to be sure you understand that it's basically just a polite request of yours, and if anyone chooses not to follow it, they're not breaking any rules.  The only way for it to be an actual enforceable requirement would be if it were in the license.

Best of luck and thanks for all the modding work!  Sorry to see you go.

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Thank you @Snark for the clarification.

I agree with that. For me this is more of a gentleman's agreement. If the original author doesn't want something, I'm inclined tho honor it, despite a license is not restricting me.

Edited by FreeThinker

12 hours ago, RealGecko said:

Ah yeah, completely forgot. So, I think I'll change license as soon as anyone will dare to step in.

Change it to a CC_BYNC_SA and I'll take it over.

Also, it makes sense for me to do FlightPlan as well, since they work well together.

It just keeps adding up.

I'll need to also do the UI Framework, since Flightplan depends on it

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.