[1.3.1 - 1.8.x] WorldStabilizer - Bugfix for vessels bouncing on scene load

whale_2

1 minute ago, RB101 said:

Discovered that this mod doesn't play nicely with the KIS/KAS mods. Especially with ground attached items such as ground bases (the surface experiments pack mod is also rendered un-usable, due to this mod) 

Could you put in a method to exclude vessels with surface attached parts from this mods effects completely please?

I'd rather make it work because I've spent quite a time making support for KIS/KAS. It works in my setup (mostly) but I could not test all possible configurations. It detects attached parts, disconnects them, then connects back upon ground contact. For instance, this works fine with my Gilly base and ships that are being held by KAS harpoons and winches. 

So far you can disable the mod for particular vessels (see top post), but if you send me the simplest craft with KAS that doesn't work for you (even better along with a video, how exactly it behaves), I can try fixing it.

1 hour ago, whale_2 said:

I'd rather make it work because I've spent quite a time making support for KIS/KAS. It works in my setup (mostly) but I could not test all possible configurations. It detects attached parts, disconnects them, then connects back upon ground contact. For instance, this works fine with my Gilly base and ships that are being held by KAS harpoons and winches. 

If you send me the simplest craft with KAS that doesn't work for you (even better along with a video, how exactly it behaves), I can try fixing it.

It's a ground base constructed from parts on Minmus that I brought with me in a KIS container, specifically the surface experiment pack mod (and the ground base it contains). 

From the behaviour I've observed, the concrete ground bases either;

- Don't get re-attached
- Are moved (causing other connected parts to clip into the ground) and then re-attached 

This causes the Kerbal constructed base to shake/vibrate/glitch until either a part blows up, or it gets flung into orbit. (typically the first, though the second always results in the first as-well)

I've tried multiple locations, and surprisingly any of the flats on Minmus are the worst for this, Gilly rarely has this problem, though i have had 3-4 cases in my play through
(with surface bases making an unplanned areo-brakes around Eve all too often).

1 hour ago, whale_2 said:

So far you can disable the mod for particular vessels (see top post)

Yeah, I know this is a feature, but i''m no coder, and the instructions are extremely vague (at least for me). So i'd need a visual example to follow to use this feature (which is a good feature). ^_^ 

Edited by RB101

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Agustin said:

Does this work with principia? because vessel mover wasn't working right with it installed. I will try it now though....

TBH, never tried that, but curious of the outcome. WST deals only with local scene, so odds are it should work fine, but if not, send me a log file, I'll do my best to fix it.

Edited by whale_2

7 hours ago, Agustin said:

Does this work with principia? because vessel mover wasn't working right with it installed. I will try it now though....

From the OP of BDArmoury mod:

Please note that Physics Range Extender and Module Manager are required dependencies for BD Armory Continued

Also be advised that using the World Stabilizer mod will cause problems with PRE as it has it's own world stabilization code we refer to as Black Spell ... Only solution to this is to not use the World Stabilizer mod

Vessel mover comes along with BDA. Don't know how it work as standalone, would it cause issue or not. I'm not sure if Physics Rabge Extender is dependency of vessel mover or not, though.

1 hour ago, kcs123 said:

Vessel mover comes along with BDA. Don't know how it work as standalone, would it cause issue or not. I'm not sure if Physics Range Extender is dependency of vessel mover or not, though.

I use WST and Vessel Mover together - no problem so far.

• 1 month later...

In 1.6.1, I'm watching some test bases and rovers built near the KSC bounce like crazy with the 1.5.1 compiled (latest?) version.

This mod has been great to mitigate the bouncing bug up to this point. But I think I'm seeing this only with Kerbin-landed things. If I can get more info, I'll drop it here.

7 hours ago, OrbitsR4Sissies said:

In 1.6.1, I'm watching some test bases and rovers built near the KSC bounce like crazy with the 1.5.1 compiled (latest?) version.

This mod has been great to mitigate the bouncing bug up to this point. But I think I'm seeing this only with Kerbin-landed things. If I can get more info, I'll drop it here.

I'll need a .craft file and log file of your game to reproduce and fix it.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:44 PM, OrbitsR4Sissies said:

OK. Log files are new for me but I will figure it out. 

On 1/15/2019 at 6:06 PM, whale_2 said:

I'll need a .craft file and log file of your game to reproduce and fix it.

OK. Here's the information to help you (and advance thank-yous for your time).

KSP: Version 1.6.1 with Making History 1.6.1, Mac OS

Problem: On switching to vehicle or (in this case) outpost, vehicles jump high enough that they often break. This includes attempts to detach an item from another using a docking adapter while on a surface. Seen on Kerbin and the Mun.

Mods installed: Kerbal Alarm Clock (latest version); Docking Port Alignment Indicator, Sci Fi Visual Environments, Kerbal Engineer Redux, Trajectories, Chatterer, Kronal Vessel Viewer (with dependency mods ClickThroughBlocker and ToolbarController), ProbesPlus! (issue seen only with stock parts used on all-stock craft on surface). No time-warp mods used. No time-warping in use during issue.

Reproduction Steps:

Seen in the "Crewed Mission Mode" save file.

Switched to the "MOM" outpost truck on the Mun, which is docked to an outpost module after successfully docking it. Any time the truck's dock is told to decouple, one or more parts of the truck fly up, often through the module. An outpost placed on the fields west of the KSC (which may not be in this save) showed the usual bouncing bug where the outpost and truck were sent high and then crashed to break legs or overturn vehicles. Occurred 100% of all 5 attempts. No jumping appeared since last WS version in both 1.5.1 and 1.6.

Image of event:

H4YV6gC.png

Log and save file (zipped):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q6gZGDR2vXtqZ8iF6XvhJc5k_szdb1Wz/view?usp=sharing

Edited by OrbitsR4Sissies
Added screenshot, updated 1 mod

1 minute ago, Boyster said:

Thank you so much for saving my Mun Base(Including like 6 rovers)!!!!

I upgraded from 1.5 to 1.6.1 and everything was bouncing!

But you saved me!Thank you again!!!!

As others might say, this might not be an issue with the latest KSP versions but how WS does its job. Or something in the comparably few mods I use.

Never a bad idea to be cautious, however.

Edited by OrbitsR4Sissies
Clarity

They were bouncing before i enabled this mod...and they always landed upside down/got destroyed.

When i used WS they loaded with zero bounceness.It worked perfectly.Sry if i didnt make myself clear :D .

Edited by Boyster
Double Clarity :D

On 1/18/2019 at 2:00 AM, OrbitsR4Sissies said:

OK. Here's the information to help you (and advance thank-yous for your time).

KSP: Version 1.6.1 with Making History 1.6.1, Mac OS

Log and save file (zipped):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q6gZGDR2vXtqZ8iF6XvhJc5k_szdb1Wz/view?usp=sharing

Went briefly through your log file - it does not contain usual debug entries of WorldStabilizer at all - either the log didn't capture the moment of breakage or there's some other problem. I'll try to replicate it myself.

17 hours ago, whale_2 said:

Went briefly through your log file - it does not contain usual debug entries of WorldStabilizer at all - either the log didn't capture the moment of breakage or there's some other problem. I'll try to replicate it myself.

OK and thanks for your time. If there’s any other data file or screen capture I can provide, just ask. 

On 1/23/2019 at 7:44 AM, OrbitsR4Sissies said:

OK and thanks for your time. If there’s any other data file or screen capture I can provide, just ask. 

So I loaded your save in 1.6.1 + Making History, however, didn't try it on OS X yet. Things are ridiculously weird even without World Stabilizer - when I undock the rover, one part of it starts flying through the rest of the vessel and when I cycle through other vessels back to MOM, that part is where it should be. If I try to undock it second time, game crashes. 
I'd suggest trying rebuild the vessel as it is now in VAB, hyperedit it to the Mün or spawn it there with Vessel Mover and see what's gonna happen - previous versions had a tendency to break part hierarchy when docking, though that happened rather seldom, may be here's the similar issue.
BTW, do you feel you need WST at all? Stock game seems smooth enough. 

Edited by whale_2

Good point. One thing I have NOT tried is removing WS. Maybe it’s overcompensating for something on the craft. And yeah, there could be something wild in the the craft build itself.

I’ve mercifully stopped that particular construction contract but still have a few rovers and landers (crewed and robots) to test out 1.6.1 with WS removed. If my flightless rovers suddenly go suborbital, I’ll document it and pass it to you. 

• 4 weeks later...