[1.3.1 - 1.8.x] WorldStabilizer - Bugfix for vessels bouncing on scene load

whale_2

@whale_2 I must admit that I didn't have the balls yet to remove this mod in KSP 1.4.3 because I'm afraid that it's still needed - but it has an issue, simple contracts or achievements are already fulfilled on the launchpad, like early suborbital and land contracts.

It's like the stabilizing is recognized by the game as landing.

12 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@whale_2 I must admit that I didn't have the balls yet to remove this mod in KSP 1.4.3 because I'm afraid that it's still needed - but it has an issue, simple contracts or achievements are already fulfilled on the launchpad, like early suborbital and land contracts.

It's like the stabilizing is recognized by the game as landing.

That's a really funny side effect :) Stabilizing is indeed a little magical flight and following landing. So far I can think only about disabling WST in career mode until those achievements get unlocked...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 5:59 PM, Cooly568 said:

I've, had some weirdness with the Feline Utility Rovers mod.

Log and save file could help me find out the reason. FUR works just fine for me in 1.3.1.

Edited by whale_2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Does anybody know if this is still needed in 1.4.5?

I was watching EJ_SA the other day and one of his bases bounced due to landing gear.  It may still be needed.  I'm still on 1.3.1, so can't say for sure.

Public Service Announcement

If using Physics Range Extender DO NOT use this mod  ... PRE has its own world stabilizer that the BD Armory Continued team knows as Black Spell

If you use PRE or BD Armory Continued and install this mod there will be conflicts between the two ... only solution is to not use this mod with PRE

Regards, Doc

59 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Public Service Announcement

If using Physics Range Extender DO NOT use this mod  ... PRE has its own world stabilizer that the BD Armory Continued team knows as Black Spell 

If you use PRE or BD Armory Continued and install this mod there will be conflicts between the two ... only solution is to not use this mod with PRE

Regards, Doc

That is nice to know. Might be good to mention the same in BDA thread too. Didn't find a notice in BDA OP, sorry if it is already there.

32 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

That is nice to know. Might be good to mention the same in BDA thread too. Didn't find a notice in BDA OP, sorry if it is already there.

Should be in the PRE thread, I know it is in the changelog for sure that PRE has a world stabilizer built in

PRE is a dependancy for BDAc and, as with all mods a user installs, said user should read the OP of the thread for the mod they install

However  you raise a good point as most users don't read the OP of a mods thread (even the BDAc thread OP :wink:) ... I'll add a snippet in the BDAc threads OP to notify users of the conflict (not that anyone will read it ... you are one of the few exceptions)

Anyways, thanx for bringing this to our attention ... much obliged :)

On 8/8/2018 at 9:12 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

My mun lander flipped over after a save/reload.   So I'm going to install it and see if I have any issues still.   Will report back. 

On 8/8/2018 at 7:12 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I had a tiny plane that would bounce its nose up every time I went to the runway, installed the current download of WorldStabilizer and now it doesn't do that.

• 2 weeks later...

If I change the value of groundingTicks from say 6 to 12, will that make the steps used to put the vessel on the ground be smaller?

What I am trying to do is decrease the forces experienced during the easing in period, a softer introduction to physics.

I seem to be breaking tyres from over stressing them, brakes are on, they are not moving, no air park used, then time warp, on time warp drop to normal time, boom.

Is this the right idea or should I be looking at one of the other variables?

7 minutes ago, JH4C said:

How are you managing to timewarp in the short amount of time between requesting a scene change and the scene being loaded?

I am not sure I am clear about the question you ask.

Instead I will tell you what I am doing. In flight, so a rover moving over the ground. Come to a stop. Put the brake on. Use mouse or keys to increase the rate at which time passes, you see those yellow triangles in the top left.

2 hours ago, Apaseall said:

I will tell you what I am doing.

That's a good enough answer.

WorldStabiliser is not intended to function in the situation you're describing. Its sole purpose is to ease physics on scene change to prevent ships from spawning and then bouncing to their doom. Once that has happened, it is disabled until the next scene change. Whatever is happening to your rover has nothing to do with the functioning of this mod.

40 minutes ago, JH4C said:

WorldStabiliser is not intended to function in the situation you're describing. Its sole purpose is to ease physics on scene change to prevent ships from spawning and then bouncing to their doom. Once that has happened, it is disabled until the next scene change. Whatever is happening to your rover has nothing to do with the functioning of this mod.

Aha. Ok. I apologise for the misunderstanding. I am not sure where else to look. Maybe KJR ?

45 minutes ago, JH4C said:

That's quiet a good explanation, however, here's one minor thing - exiting time warp is treated the same way as scene change, so WorldStabilizer is active again at this point trying to move vehicles up and down.

But I read "yellow triangles" in @Apaseall's message and it seems like a physical time warp. This is completely different thing - WorldStabilizer is not designed to do anything when exiting from physical time warp.

5 minutes ago, whale_2 said:

That's quiet a good explanation, however, here's one minor thing - exiting time warp is treated the same way as scene change, so WorldStabilizer is active again at this point trying to move vehicles up and down.

But I read "yellow triangles" in @Apaseall's message and it seems like a physical time warp. This is completely different thing - WorldStabilizer is not designed to do anything when exiting from physical time warp.

Ah. Correction. It is not physical time warp. That is limited to about 4x I think. No I was warping at around 7776-279936x being rails level 6-8. Yes I have changed the default values for warp from 1x5x10x100x etc. Now they are 6^rails ie 1x6x36x etc.

Remember I was warping to pass 30 Kerbin days.

Edited by Apaseall

@Apaseall

OK, than I don't think groundingTicks could help here, it is just a number of physics ticks during which WST tries to lower vehicle as close to the ground as possible, but with some constraints - not lower than minDownMovent and each time to about 90% of its real altitude above the ground.

What could happen here, where WST can spoil the party, is

a) vehicle is released too high above the ground so it drops hard, and

b) vehicle boundaries determined incorrectly and WST moves it below ground level.

If you record a video of what is happening and post it along with log file, I can try to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it.

10 hours ago, whale_2 said:

@Apaseall

OK, than I don't think groundingTicks could help here, it is just a number of physics ticks during which WST tries to lower vehicle as close to the ground as possible, but with some constraints - not lower than minDownMovent and each time to about 90% of its real altitude above the ground.

What could happen here, where WST can spoil the party, is

a) vehicle is released too high above the ground so it drops hard, and

b) vehicle boundaries determined incorrectly and WST moves it below ground level.

If you record a video of what is happening and post it along with log file, I can try to figure out what's wrong and how to fix it.

Thanks for the reply. Plus the explanation of what groundingTicks does. A number of things happen during return to normal time speed. Not all of them at the same time or all the time. Let me try to describe. The first one is that the craft does appear high over the ground. I am now using air park at all times. This means that the craft slowly sinks to the ground. No bouncing is seen. My tyres in this case seem to take the change well and do not over stress. The second one is that the craft does not appear high over the ground. It seems like the craft has never moved. But the wheels do over stress and I need to get the engineer out to fix them. Or just leave them broken in case I need to time warp again.

Regarding taking a video. I see why you ask for one. Only problem is that I have never made such a beast. I have a couple of days before an enforced break from KSP. I would rather not spend that time doing a learning curve for PC video making. Plus there are quite a few things that I really need to do which limit the time available to me. I may possibly look into this more say mid October.

Once again thank you for your comments.

• 5 weeks later...

The bug definitely returned with 1.4.5. 

The only mods I use are common:

- Kerbal Engineer Redux

- Docking Port Alignment Indicator

- Kerbal Alarm Clock

Just recently added Trajectories. (So helpful in EDL landing so far.)

Added the fix. It is helped well enough to keep a rover from apparently materializing above its parking spot on load, and one three-legged lander with strangely bouncy legs on Ike’s surface not to launch itself into the sky on loading. Thanks for this fix.