[1.3.1 - 1.8.x] WorldStabilizer - Bugfix for vessels bouncing on scene load

whale_2

Hi there, I've been using WS seems like forever and it saved numerous Mun installations for me in the past.

Now with 1.6.1, does this mod still do what was needed before to prevent bouncing?

I'm not quite to making off-Kerbin bases yet in my current Career playthrough, so wondering if I still need this? Or if it's no longer needed?

On 2/26/2019 at 2:36 AM, scottadges said:

Hi there, I've been using WS seems like forever and it saved numerous Mun installations for me in the past.

Now with 1.6.1, does this mod still do what was needed before to prevent bouncing?

I'm not quite to making off-Kerbin bases yet in my current Career playthrough, so wondering if I still need this? Or if it's no longer needed?

Haven't jet jumped into KSP 1.6.x for myself, but you can found answer on previous page:

Few posts from that one is more clear answer that WS still properly works in KSP 1.6.x and it is needed for some base builds.

Edited by kcs123
typos

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Zosma Procyon said:

Update for 1.6 please.

Have you tried it?  There where no breaking API changes between 1.5 and 1.6 so most mods still work.  Perusing through this thread for all of 30 seconds gives the quick impression that people are using it with 1.6

5 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Have you tried it?  There where no breaking API changes between 1.5 and 1.6 so most mods still work.  Perusing through this thread for all of 30 seconds gives the quick impression that people are using it with 1.6

Yes, I get the "unsupported addon" error every time I start up the game, and when I try to use Bon Voyage (also out of date) I get the same catastrophic results that caused me to install world stabilizer in the first place

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, politas said:

1.7.2 seems to have broken WS. Everything is bouncing like crazy! 

EDIT it might be that WS is raising vessels too high?

Sad news, but maybe they finally fixed bouncing once and forever?

If not, please send me the save file, I'll try to reproduce and eventually fix this.

@politas - it doesn't seem to happen on clean 1.7.2 install. I have Making History, but don't have Breaking Grounds. Stock Aeris-3 launched on the runway with WS for 1.7.1 behaves exactly like I expect it to.

So your save file would help a lot.

Using WS and didn't found any issue with it. Some people have reported bouncing in KJRn thread, some strange interaction with certain craft designs, stock wheels/landing legs autostrut in combo with KJRn struts can cause kraken forces.

I found so far that WS only helps on unusual craft designs, haven't encountered anything strange yet with WS installed.

5 hours ago, whale_2 said:

@politas - it doesn't seem to happen on clean 1.7.2 install. I have Making History, but don't have Breaking Grounds. Stock Aeris-3 launched on the runway with WS for 1.7.1 behaves exactly like I expect it to.

So your save file would help a lot.

I can't recreate it now. The craft that were jumping before are solidly on the ground. Maybe rebooting my computer helped!

• 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

@whale_2 any idea why WS would be involved in this?
(may need to read the few following posts for context)

Well, it could be indeed involved.
When I wrote WS mod, I actively used Hangar too and it seemed to work for me, however it was in the times of 1.3.1, since then I didn't really touch anything.

When the vessel is "launched" from hangar it is being picked up by WS and I can imagine if the space is really tight, things may go wrong. My hangars were usually huge. Also I didn't test for upside down hangar, but some of my hangars were placed on the side. 

In general, I need to test the whole combo again - recent KSP version vs recent Hangar version.

Additionally, there's new KAS/KIS around and probably support for old one is not compatible with the new. 

TBH, I wish there would be no need for WS at all, but I wish a lot and not all my wishes come true.

46 minutes ago, whale_2 said:

TBH, I wish there would be no need for WS at all, but I wish a lot and not all my wishes come true.

Yup.. I understand that... ;)
But its also been a great way to handle some KSP bugs...

ie, its pretty much required as a band-aid fix for several OPT parts, right now... Hope to have these fixed Soon­™...
But anyway, theres been recent consideration of looking into possible integration of Hangar functionality into OPT cargo bays (ie without the need to clip-in actual Hangar parts ;) )... nothing beyond the idea of considering it yet, as theres moar important stuff on the OPT todo, but it did get added to the list of things to delve into...
I'm glad this issue came up, tho, so its (World Stabilizer) on the radar as possibly something to consider if we get into actual implementation.
Allista was already approached, and is on board for providing technical advising once we get to that stage...
Anyway, if we find anything that WS causes or affects, we'll be sure to let you kno ;)

Edited by Stone Blue

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Whale.

Got a potential bug for you that anyone should be able to replicate. It may be that World Stabilizer works too well when it comes to Deployed Science parts.

I was deploying the various experiments for Duna, starting with solar arrays with the current version in place. Using 1.8.1 with both DLCs (of course) in the Western Canyon.

I have a Kerbal place a module. It appears to settle to the surface, slowly, before I see the game error "Can't deploy part when it is not on a planet."

Tried placing the modules on different inclines but the result was the same.

During one return to the landing site after diddling with other spacecraft, the communications dish module continually killed itself by submerging and colliding with the surface.  I was only able to save it by immediately going into time warp to let the game help itself. That was a one-time occurrence and happened only with the comm part.

Took a look at the logs as seen from the Cheats menu and it notes how World Stabilizer was easing the parts down to settle, and settle and settle, with that error message appearing as part of the text.

So I saved, exited the game, and then removed WS and then returned to the game--hoping that my crew rover would not bounce itself into the surface.

All the Deployed Science placed itself happily without complaint this time, no matter the slope.

I returned WS and prepared to take my crew home from their hab home to the lander, where the experiments were, separated about 2.2 km.

As my rover passed by the experiments, they were making their game noise and appeared to be on the surface and operating. But then "Can't deploy part when it is not on a planet" appeared once I was close enough to some of the modules.

I think the experiments will work OK now that the lander is gone and I'm out of physics range, but I will check and post what I see for you to consider later.

This mod needs an exclusion list, not hardcoded, but as a config file inside a PluginData folder (so that MM does not read it but the mod itself).

Then problematic parts (or modules) can be blacklisted easily.
Best case would be if it's allright to just add an entry to that blacklist and after a scene change it already is read and WS knows about it. No need to reboot KSP then.