[1.3.1 - 1.8.x] WorldStabilizer - Bugfix for vessels bouncing on scene load

whale_2

16 hours ago, senoiurkabls said:

Hello and thanks for this mod, I still have this bug in 1.8 when using some other mods so its really helpful. I have a very long ship (100 meters or more) that I want to move around with bon voyage but it clips into the ground on load. I am wondering if I can single out ships to load in higher then normal or change something in the configs that might help.

Not impossible to make, but still want to see your log file - maybe I can fix what's going on wrong with your long ship. 

2 hours ago, whale_2 said:

Not impossible to make, but still want to see your log file - maybe I can fix what's going on wrong with your long ship. 

The problem was that it was linked together by robotic parts and stupidity large, all my fault, nothing wrong with your mod. I got it to reliably work on flat ground by placing the bon voyage part lower and setting a root part closer to the ground.

• 1 month later...

Hi, maybe this is already asked, but i have the problem mainly when i exit time warp. Im running 1.9.1.

a) Does this mod solve this?

b) Is this mod compatible with 1.9.1?

c) If not, will be upgraded?

Thanks and regard!

14 hours ago, juvilado said:

Hi, maybe this is already asked, but i have the problem mainly when i exit time warp. Im running 1.9.1.

a) Does this mod solve this?

b) Is this mod compatible with 1.9.1?

c) If not, will be upgraded?

Thanks and regard!

"It should" to all three questions.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 11:37 AM, llikooid said:

is this mod conflict with scatterer? my game glitching after installing this mod, ocean screen and black screen

This is extremely unlikely. 

• 2 months later...

Is this still usable in 1.10.x without any major coding changes? I'm unsure if this is needed anymore, but I'd like to have it just in case there's even a small chance of issues cropping up that could be prevented by installing it.

Granted it was I think around a year or so ago now that I saw a base obliterated by the bug this fixes (on EJ_SA's twitch channel, his fuel refinery on Minmus got wrecked by it) but I'm still fearful that anything I land on the surface of a planet or moon that is over a certain size would have a similar fate, and I want to prevent that because I want to do a Jool-5 mission including mining fuel at Jool, but I run into problems earlier than that because I need a refueling base on Minmus to get the thing fueled up before it departs the SOI of Kerbin for Jool. This means I need a big fuel refinery on Minmus, and that's where I foresee running into problems if the bug is still in KSP.

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I heard, that this mod also fixes some weird bug of ships with certain parts to spawn 1km above the launch pad? Apparently habtech2 and opt have issues with that.

Is there any information on what this mod does to fix it, that might lead to prevent the bug in the mods itself in the first place?

4 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

Hi there, I heard, that this mod also fixes some weird bug of ships with certain parts to spawn 1km above the launch pad? Apparently habtech2 and opt have issues with that.

Is there any information on what this mod does to fix it, that might lead to prevent the bug in the mods itself in the first place?

Check videos from OP for more detailed description. This is quote from OP:

It intercepts all unpacked (i.e. those affected by physics engine) vessels in the scene right before the physics is about to kick in, determines if they are "submerged" into the ground, raises them slightly above and slowly releases.

5 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Check videos from OP for more detailed description. This is quote from OP:

Hey @kcs123 thanks for that! I saw the videos and understood that apparently the mod is better in calculating where and how big the object actually is than the game itself. I would like to understand, on how the mod achieves that and what the differences to the game logic is.

With the 1km bug, it seems, that the game spawns ships - with certain parts - that high, because it thinks they are that big? As the mod fixes it, there seems to be a difference in the way the part size is determined?

On 1.9.1 here with RSS, KIS, KAS. I have a base on Mars with KIS parts connecting the modules together.

On scene load, my base jumped in he air and landed on the side and destroyed my Near Future nuke reactor.

This mod saved my base, thanks!

20 hours ago, chris-kerbal said:

WorldStabilizer is indeed recommended band-aid for OPT.
OPT has some parts with apparently wrong colliders that make the game think that vessel is about 1km height hence spawning it 1 km up in the air. This mod determines vessel dimensions differently and places the vessel according to its own calculations.

43 minutes ago, whale_2 said:

WorldStabilizer is indeed recommended band-aid for OPT.
OPT has some parts with apparently wrong colliders that make the game think that vessel is about 1km height hence spawning it 1 km up in the air. This mod determines vessel dimensions differently and places the vessel according to its own calculations.

Could you elaborate a bit on that? I would assume, that within the regular process, there is some parts data that is read and then used in a calculation.

Is it that world stabilizer uses different or additional data as base or a different calculation method/formula?

5 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

Could you elaborate a bit on that? I would assume, that within the regular process, there is some parts data that is read and then used in a calculation.

Is it that world stabilizer uses different or additional data as base or a different calculation method/formula?

Let's say, it filters the data more aggressively.  More elaborate explanation will dive into how Unity works.

Edited by whale_2

4 minutes ago, whale_2 said:

Let's say, it filters the data more aggressively.  More elaborate explanation will dive into how Unity works.

I am no modder, so not sure if it helps to go there. However, what I am trying to find is help to pinpoint what the modders need to look for to prevent that issue. I would guess, that it is some misconfiguration that causes wrong calculations within the regular handling. So does world stabilizer actively identifies such out of bound collider things and hence could help find the misconfiguration?

47 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

I am no modder, so not sure if it helps to go there. However, what I am trying to find is help to pinpoint what the modders need to look for to prevent that issue. I would guess, that it is some misconfiguration that causes wrong calculations within the regular handling. So does world stabilizer actively identifies such out of bound collider things and hence could help find the misconfiguration?

When I was poking the OPT models, and when I fixed the K-35 engine in QuizTech, I found that it seemed to be the location of the origin of the animated colliders/gameobjects, combined with the way KSP calculates vessel/part bounds. As Whale_2 stated, WS calculates differently than stock KSP.
Unfortunately, at least part of the reason they dont get fixed, and why WorldStabilizer is needed, is that its up to each mods' dev to edit/update the models in their mod, and do a new release. I have most of the OPT parts fixed, but there are other issues right now preventing me from merging the fixes into an update.

Edited by Stone Blue

17 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

When I was poking the OPT models, and when I fixed the K-35 engine in QuizTech, I found that it seemed to be the location of the origin of the animated colliders/gameobjects, combined with the way KSP calculates vessel/part bounds. As Whale_2 stated, WS calculates differently than stock KSP.
Unfortunately, at least part of the reason they dont get fixed, and why WorldStabilizer is needed, is that its up to each mods' dev to edit/update the models in their mod, and do a new release. I have most of the OPT parts fixed, but there are other issues right now preventing me from merging the fixes into an update.

Thanks @Stone Bluefor adding to this! I personally encountered this issue with habtech2 created by @benjee10 . He was sort of a dead end with this and didn't have the time to poke around on what the root cause of this is.

So I started looking through the forum to find someone who is further in an analysis and might provide a hint to help him. Do you think that the hint on the "location of the origin" is enough for him to get on the right track? Or could you give additional information on what you are fixing? If you are willing and comfortable with it, I would love to document it in the "developer" thread over here

to help him and other mod maintainers/creators to fix this issue.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Hello y'all,

I am experiencing an issue with a few of OTP spaceplane parts (just a few, like the retractable docking port). Craft when launched do not appear on the runway, instead they appear high in the air (1km or so) and fall down from there.

World stabilizer deals with these issues?

So far yes... its most of the parts with the extending/opening doors/ramps, and docking port

Edited by Stone Blue

• 2 months later...