[1.3.1 - 1.8.x] WorldStabilizer - Bugfix for vessels bouncing on scene load

whale_2

On 1/15/2021 at 7:28 PM, Kilo60 said:

Does this mod mess up water collision modelling post 1.10?

My spaceplanes bounce on top of the water uncontrollably now instead of landing smoothly on the surface...

Thanks!

TBH, I didn't test it in this situation, but it is unlikely. The mod works only few seconds after the scene is loaded - i.e. when you click "launch" or load a save.

After that it does nothing - so if you are more than few seconds into the flight - this must be something else.

Edited by whale_2

On 1/15/2021 at 7:28 PM, Kilo60 said:

Does this mod mess up water collision modelling post 1.10?

My spaceplanes bounce on top of the water uncontrollably now instead of landing smoothly on the surface...

Thanks!

Are you using the latest scatterer Version? This added bouncy waves, so i thought, this might may be your problem:D

3 hours ago, rettter3 said:

Are you using the latest scatterer Version? This added bouncy waves, so i thought, this might may be your problem:D

Scatterer waves was part of the problem...

The latest non 1.11 version of FAR made it impossible!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi,

It appears World Stabilizer doesn't work well with the new ground anchor since it floats.

You need to change the WorldStabilizer.cfg and add the ground anchor's module name to the last line : ModuleGroundPart

excludePartModules	=	LaunchClamp,FlagSite,ModuleRestockLaunchClamp,ModuleGroundExperiment,ModuleGroundExpControl,ModuleGroundSciencePart,ModuleGroundCommsPart,ModuleGroundPart

On 8/12/2021 at 11:53 PM, Goufalite said:

Hi,

It appears World Stabilizer doesn't work well with the new ground anchor since it floats.

You need to change the WorldStabilizer.cfg and add the ground anchor's module name to the last line : ModuleGroundPart

excludePartModules	=	LaunchClamp,FlagSite,ModuleRestockLaunchClamp,ModuleGroundExperiment,ModuleGroundExpControl,ModuleGroundSciencePart,ModuleGroundCommsPart,ModuleGroundPart

Thanks, good point. Guess it's time to make a proper support for it, like it was in the time of KAS pre-1.0

• 3 weeks later...

I tried using this, to keep my Bon Voyage rovers from exploding all the time - and by and large it works fine, *BUT*...

...I eventually noticed that whenever I switched to my Mun base, it got a little bit higher... until one fine munar day I switched to it and the whole base was several meters above the surface, balanced on the tips of the mining drills.

Does anyone happen to know a good way of resolving this?  I see you can exclude part modules in the .cfg, but not *parts*, and I'm not convinced that I can just make up a 'dummy' module without anything referencing it (or can I?  In that case I could exclude the "DummyModuleWSIgnore" or whatever, and have another MM patch file to add that to all the drill parts...)

1 hour ago, ChrisF0001 said:

I tried using this, to keep my Bon Voyage rovers from exploding all the time - and by and large it works fine, *BUT*...

...I eventually noticed that whenever I switched to my Mun base, it got a little bit higher... until one fine munar day I switched to it and the whole base was several meters above the surface, balanced on the tips of the mining drills.

But was it lowered to the ground "gently" or was just dropped?

1 hour ago, ChrisF0001 said:

Does anyone happen to know a good way of resolving this?  I see you can exclude part modules in the .cfg, but not *parts*, and I'm not convinced that I can just make up a 'dummy' module without anything referencing it (or can I?  In that case I could exclude the "DummyModuleWSIgnore" or whatever, and have another MM patch file to add that to all the drill parts...)

Dummy module should work but drills already have two modules you can target - ModuleResourceHarvester and ModuleAsteroidDrill 
You can also just put the name of the vessels you want to exclude to the config file (no UI so far, sorry)

On the other hand, drills don't have colliders on the "drill" part and thus excluded from vessel geometry calculation, so the problem should be something else...

5 hours ago, ChrisF0001 said:

I tried using this, to keep my Bon Voyage rovers from exploding all the time

Funnily enough I landed here because of the very same issue after reading through the BV thread because I didn't find a solution on my own, gonna give this one a try and see what happens.
If this doesn't work I might have to stick to 1.11 for the time being until someone smarter than me comes up with a solution ^^

Edit:
This seems to fix imploding Rovers for me. Nice!

Edited by Feye

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 5:44 PM, whale_2 said:

But was it lowered to the ground "gently" or was just dropped?

Dummy module should work but drills already have two modules you can target - ModuleResourceHarvester and ModuleAsteroidDrill 
You can also just put the name of the vessels you want to exclude to the config file (no UI so far, sorry)

On the other hand, drills don't have colliders on the "drill" part and thus excluded from vessel geometry calculation, so the problem should be something else...

(Ahem, sorry for the delay, I was distracted by some real life stuff...)

...Actually neither, it stayed up there(!).  Retracting all the drills (and ladders for luck) and reloading the scene put it back on the ground.  I subsequently tried putting in my DummyModuleWSIgnore kludge and it seemed okay...

• 3 weeks later...

So I can confirm that as of 1.12.2 this mod seems to work excellently with planetary base systems and most Landers/Rovers especially if combined with autostrut.

There is some slight wobble coming out of 4x physics , but stability  can be reset if coming into and out of timewarp quickly.

On 10/8/2021 at 4:21 AM, Bisqu3 said:

So I can confirm that as of 1.12.2 this mod seems to work excellently with planetary base systems and most Landers/Rovers especially if combined with autostrut.

Thanks

On 10/8/2021 at 4:21 AM, Bisqu3 said:

There is some slight wobble coming out of 4x physics , but stability  can be reset if coming into and out of timewarp quickly.

Wobble in 4x physics can't be related as the WS is active only few seconds after loading the scene or coming out of timewarp.

• 1 month later...

This seems to have caused a Kraken attack on an orbital station, though it's hard to say for sure. Does WS have a check to ensure it only runs on vessels on land (or in the water)?  Is there a way to configure it to ignore entire classes of vehicles and, say, only run for things marked as Rovers or Bases?  I mostly only need it to prevent BonVoyage-driven rovers from loading below ground and exploding.

Edited by GDorn

[snip]

20 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I don’t think this thread has the latest version is WS. @Lisias has one somewhere IIRC

Nope, it's KJR I have a fork. :)

I never found a reason to do the same to WS, because it just works (or used to).

Edited by Vanamonde

18 hours ago, GDorn said:

I mostly only need it to prevent BonVoyage-driven rovers from loading below ground and exploding.

I assume you have tried adjusting the ground-height setting (or whatever its called... I dont remember exactly :P )

in Bon Voyage itself, to help prevent this?

Edited by Stone Blue

On 12/4/2021 at 8:11 PM, GDorn said:

This seems to have caused a Kraken attack on an orbital station, though it's hard to say for sure. Does WS have a check to ensure it only runs on vessels on land (or in the water)?  Is there a way to configure it to ignore entire classes of vehicles and, say, only run for things marked as Rovers or Bases?  I mostly only need it to prevent BonVoyage-driven rovers from loading below ground and exploding.

WS attempts its magic only on Landed or PreLaunch vessels.

• 1 year later...
On 12/4/2021 at 6:30 PM, zer0Kerbal said:

doesn't this require harmony? doesn't harmony break EULA?

A lot of mods require harmony to function today.  Heck, even Kopernicus gave in and uses it pretty blatantly. Whether that EULA clause is even enforceable is debatable depending on country.

But for a direct answer, yes.