Help, sudden onset of lag

I had a modded install that got too unwieldy, and so I wiped it all out and started over with a fresh install of vanilla KSP and it’s still acting clogged up.  Yes I deleted all the old directories after wiping it.  It happened to my son as well.  After a few weeks of playing, his game slowed to 40%.....

Anyone know what’s happening?

Kind of hard to answer out of the blue. So, it's a clean install, no mods, right? Does it lag when you start a new game, or is it a save file you've already played with a lot? Maybe something's breaking on the save.

You might also like to post us your logs, they may help the more technically inclined people in the forum to troubleshoot your problem:

On 29/07/2017 at 11:22 PM, NathanKell said:

The Logs
These are text files that the game spits out for debugging purposes as it runs; if something broke horribly in-game, there will be something in here about it. You should upload the entire log as a file (i.e. not to pastebin); you can use dropbox or an equivalent host to upload the file. Make sure the entire file gets uploaded; you may have to zip it first, as logs can be very long. Here is where you can find the log:

• Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (32bit) or KSP_win64\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (64bit) or %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\output_log.txt
  • Mac OS X: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log )
  • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

If you are using Windows 10, there have been several updates to the "game bar" - a perfectly useless program unless you are playing a Microsoft produced game. If you have other programs, such as Dropbox, OneDrive, or Outlook, these programs do not close out when you're not using them; they stay active and suck RAM and processor usage.

Go into your program manager and highlight the offending programs. Right-click and tell them to either "Stop Process" or "Exit"  - whichever your particular localized copy of Windows 10 uses. You can also close out of anything that is a video virtual library program which came prepackaged with your computer. If you could grab a screenshot of the programs listed in your program manager and share it here, I might be able to help you reduce your pre-KSP memory and processor footprint.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2018 at 7:44 PM, adsii1970 said:

If you are using Windows 10, there have been several updates to the "game bar" - a perfectly useless program unless you are playing a Microsoft produced game. If you have other programs, such as Dropbox, OneDrive, or Outlook, these programs do not close out when you're not using them; they stay active and suck RAM and processor usage.

Go into your program manager and highlight the offending programs. Right-click and tell them to either "Stop Process" or "Exit"  - whichever your particular localized copy of Windows 10 uses. You can also close out of anything that is a video virtual library program which came prepackaged with your computer. If you could grab a screenshot of the programs listed in your program manager and share it here, I might be able to help you reduce your pre-KSP memory and processor footprint.

What @adsii1970 says

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.