[1.3.1, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.7] Procedural Parts - Tidal Stream Branch

Tidal Stream

Question. The batteries have way too much charge for their size. I can't figure out how to change the settings.

Currently the price to mass to electric charge RATIO is fine. But there's about 3k electric charge in the same size as the stock 200 charge. So the amount of charge per volume needs to be reduced by a factor of 15. 

I tried changing the battery.cfg "unitsperT" setting, which seemed like what I should change. And then I saved it, restarted KSP, and nothing changed. Also changing the dry density did nothing either. So I can't figure out exactly what to do.

The dry density should be responsible for the volumetric mass density (mass per unit volume). So lower density and constant mass should mean higher volume. If you are playing with Realism Overhaul, this may rebalance some things. Check if your changes are applied in a stock install, then something is wrong. For example my PP dev environment has only Procedural Parts and Kerbal Engineer. If you find and fix other mass irregularities, I would be happy to merge the pull request - from what I have seen constants were not changed at least since 0.90 and some may need a rebalance (monopropellant?).

34 minutes ago, Tidal Stream said:

The dry density should be responsible for the volumetric mass density (mass per unit volume). So lower density and constant mass should mean higher volume. If you are playing with Realism Overhaul, this may rebalance some things. Check if your changes are applied in a stock install, then something is wrong. For example my PP dev environment has only Procedural Parts and Kerbal Engineer. If you find and fix other mass irregularities, I would be happy to merge the pull request - from what I have seen constants were not changed at least since 0.90 and some may need a rebalance (monopropellant?).

Figured it out. Looks like SETI rebalance messes with the procedural parts stuff, and it makes them all work perfectly except someone must have added an extra zero or something on the battery one. I will make a post in the SETI thread about it.

So I've run into a strange bug. Whenever I dock two ships, procedural batteries on both ships stop having any electric charge. It's not like they're both at 0/1500 or something. If I go up to the resources button in the top right and hit electric charge, they don't even get highlighted. So now my space station has no electric charge :(

nevermind. Got it figured out. It was kerbal R&D messing with procedural parts stuff.

Edited by Crixomix

OMG! I was only able to find the old thread and old versions of this mod and I thought it was no longer updated.

I found it on CKAN with a link to this thread so I just want to say thanks! I wanted to use it because I seen Scott Manley use it in his videos to change the shape of fuel tanks to make a nose cone and adapters to fit parts together.

@Tidal Stream, where can I find an explanation of the syntax for defining textures? Here are all the settings I could find in the default textures. 

uScale = 2
vScale = 1
autoScale = true
autoHeightSteps = 0.5
shininess = 0.5
specular = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Tidal Stream said:

@Tyko What I usually do is search in the code, for example with the Github search engine or with the `grep` command. The best documentation I found was in the GameData/ProceduralParts/Parts/STTextures.cfg file.

Awesome. Thanks! I did poke around the github wiki before asking, but missed that.

@Tyko Hey, I actually didn't know that there was a wiki at all, thanks. Apparently Swamp-Ig had written one in 2014 but the next maintainer, Starwaster, forked the repo without the wiki, and I forked the Starwaster's repo. I will look into ways to get the old wiki in my repo too.

Update: We now have a wiki. I will look for any broken links and will try to fix them. I will leave it open for editing by everyone in case someone wants to contribute. You need a Github account though. Someone could update the spreadsheet with stock parts linked in the wiki, and see if we should rebalance parts.

Edited by Tidal Stream

• 2 weeks later...

I updated the existing mixed, liquid fuel, and monopropellant tanks in the stock parts spreadsheet. I will upload to the repository when everything is updated. Because it is .xlsx, I will convert it to a plain LibreOffice spreadsheet for better git handling. I swapped the minimum and maximum drag for parts where minimum was more than maximum.A post by NathanKell said that drag values are now meaningless anyway. Also Starwaster commited 2 changes on his branch, so I will look into merging them on mine too.

Update: I converted it to .fods and reapplied the changes, and updated the xenon tanks too (partially). Here is the feature branch on GitHub. And here is the spreadsheet. Feel free to update it and fill in the missing parts.

Edited by Tidal Stream

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Tidal Stream said:

@leatherneck6017 If you mean manually, here is a video of NathanKell using procedural parts and changing the texture. If you mean making the default texture another one, use the textureSet variable in the ProceduralPart module. Here is an example in 2TankRCS.cfg. The definitions of the textures are in STTextures.cfg.

I was referring to setting a default texture so that I don't  have to manually change it every time I add a tank to my vessel during my builds. I'll admitt that I didn't look at the RCS tank cfg, only the liquid fuel one. "textureSet =" is not present in that cfg. So this is something that I could add with a MM patch?

@Tidal Stream. I'm almost finished with a new set of textures for PP. They incorporate the new MH tank color palette and there's also a set emulating Tantares colors. For Normal Maps I've resurrected several from older, unsupported texture packs. Lastly, I've incorporated Decoupler Shroud configs as well, so your rocket's inter-stage fairings can be color coordinated :) 

I'm going to publish after the weekend, but wanted to give a sneak peak and get any initial feedback. I admit I'm a rank amateur, so there's still work to do, but I'm comfortable enough with the quality to share a v1.0 version. I'll go back and tweak the textures as my skill improves.

https://github.com/TykoTek/Basic-Procedural-Textures/releases/tag/v1.0

qzpgwSb.png

dTJXwhB.png

Edited by Tyko

Has anyone else experienced a missing length adjustment on the liquid tank? All other tanks/structural parts seem to be functioning just fine, but the liquid tank specifically does not seem to have a length adjustment for me.

• 2 weeks later...

@Tyko I have just tested your textures mod - it works fine and the textures look great. I see that CKAN already made Procedural Parts suggest your mod, which is very good - I was about to try to do that manually. I would just suggest changing LtGrey and DkGrey to GreyLt and GreyDk so that they are next to each other in the texture selection - with many texture mods it is easy to forget there are both Light and Dark variations.

4 hours ago, Tidal Stream said:

@Tyko I have just tested your textures mod - it works fine and the textures look great. I see that CKAN already made Procedural Parts suggest your mod, which is very good - I was about to try to do that manually. I would just suggest changing LtGrey and DkGrey to GreyLt and GreyDk so that they are next to each other in the texture selection - with many texture mods it is easy to forget there are both Light and Dark variations.

Thanks for the feedback and kind words. I'll look at changing it. I need to make sure it won't break existing saves

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.