My Jupiter Lamp

rodion_herrera

Hi guys, just showing off my hand-painted Jupiter lamp :)

This lamp depicts the multi-color bands of the Jovian atmosphere, as well as a few storms, including the Great Red Spot. It's not only a beautiful room or desk lamp, it's accurate enough to be used by educators to teach about the planet Jupiter. The globe (shade) is 6" in diameter. The actual lamp bulb is a 5W LED. The user has the option to swap the bulb with a higher wattage bulb for reading illumination purposes, but at 3-5W it's a warm bedside "night light". Standard 1m lamp wiring (note that the stand and wiring depicted in the photo are still in the prototype/development phase). Plugs into 220V outlet (AC), but we are currently exploring DC/battery options (and 110V version).

This is not just a lamp--you're buying an illuminated hand-painted replica of the largest planet in the Solar System.

Curious on your opinion of it, thanks!

EL6zp5N.jpg

Edited by rodion_herrera

Shiny. And pretty good looking. Also - Really hand painted? That's really good. Can't tell the exact accuracy of the paint job (like if its spot on or not) but it looks really good - even replicating the clouds instead of just bands of color.

3 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Shiny. And pretty good looking. Also - Really hand painted? That's really good. Can't tell the exact accuracy of the paint job (like if its spot on or not) but it looks really good - even replicating the clouds instead of just bands of color.

Thanks for the comments! Well, it's really difficult to determine "spot-on" because Jupiter's cloud formations keep changing. It's been reported that the GRS is even shrinking :) But yes, I based the appearance of the bands off more recent photographs of Jupiter, including photos made by Christopher Go, an amateur astronomer who's famous for discovering the red-tint in Oval BA, which he nicknamed Red Spot, Jr. He's currently my informal consultant for the lamp.

Oh and yes, good ol' brushwork!

Edited by rodion_herrera

3 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

I like it, but the pole is unnaturally green. What's up with that?

Images from I believe the Juno mission showed Jupiter having green hexagon things on the poles.

On 1/10/2018 at 3:08 AM, qzgy said:

Images from I believe the Juno mission showed Jupiter having green hexagon things on the poles.

No, Jupiter has no hexagons, Saturn does, and it's not green, either...

Jupiter's poles are dull, absolutely not like the images that are being shared around, which are highly enhanced with color saturation and contrast. It's sad, really. People are being taught a lie, that Jupiter's poles are blue like some nice lagoon. That's called clickbaiting by the public relations departments.

On 1/11/2018 at 3:58 PM, Dafni said:

Awesome job, mate. The lamp looks very nice.

Thank you! :)

f1Ltx6q.jpg

I have started to produce these, but since they are hand-crafted, I can only produce around 15-20 per month. But if there any interested parties, you can send me a private message to see if we can arrange something. The base lamp is manufactured by Philips.

-RODION

On 1/10/2018 at 6:30 AM, lajoswinkler said:

I like it, but the pole is unnaturally green. What's up with that?

It's actually bluish when viewed in real-life, I based it off the Juno images depicting bluish poles.

-RODION

Edited by rodion_herrera

On 1/14/2018 at 7:08 AM, rodion_herrera said:

Thank you! It's actually bluish when viewed in real-life, I based it off the Juno images depicting bluish poles.

Barely.

This is pretty much how it looks like.

Thumb?VaultID=11779&Interlaced=1&Mode=R&

Hazy, creamy gray with a weak bluish tint.

Those circus photos you saw were made by people who value some things more than reality.

On 1/16/2018 at 8:39 AM, lajoswinkler said:

Barely.

This is pretty much how it looks like.

Hazy, creamy gray with a weak bluish tint.

Those circus photos you saw were made by people who value some things more than reality.

Noted, thanks for your input. Since it's hand-painted, if the customer wants something closer to reality, I will adjust my painting style and palette for that specific client. But based on feedback off my FB store, the stylized (read highly saturated) palette that I used was more appealing to them, and thus a majority of my buyers actually want something more cartoony or "circus" :) I guess it's because no one wants a dull lamp. :D

-RODION

Edited by rodion_herrera

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.