Aero FX Rendering bugs [1.3.1]

Hi guys,

After taking a lengthy absence from KSP I decided to start playing again. The last version I played was probably 1.1. Current version is 1.3.1.

I've began to notice some issues with some of my aircraft, who'se aerodynamical aerodynamical effects are, well, a bit over the top. 

l1oyJBr.jpg

zEOFvm0.jpg

W55IOLa.jpg

At first I thought the problems were caused by my mods, so I removed those. After that did not fix the problem I've reinstalled KSP by removing the entire folder except for my save games and screenshots. This did not fix the problem either. The one thing that removes the problem is by turning off the aero effects.

After thorough testing I've noticed that this problem does not occur on every craft, which makes me believe that the aero calculations are at the root of the problem.

I've linked to one of the craft that is displaying this problem, the S7 Mammoth: https://www.curseforge.com/kerbal/shareables/s7-mammoth-series-ssto-stock

I'd like to hear if anyone else experiences such problems and how they can be solved.

Edited by Adelaar

3 hours ago, Adelaar said:

I've asked someone who plays KSP to test with the ships I sent them and he had the same issue...

Only time I seen something like that is you must have a part that has drag there in the last case it was a strut that they had on the wings

I did indeed find that these effects were caused by struts catching the wind. I used to need them for ship integrity, but with autostruts they can be removed. It solved the problem.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 1:23 PM, Adelaar said:

I did indeed find that these effects were caused by struts catching the wind. I used to need them for ship integrity, but with autostruts they can be removed. It solved the problem.

But by looking at the craft at the right angle it does look like a sonic boom in real life and about the right spot :wink: 

10 hours ago, Mecripp said:

But by looking at the craft at the right angle it does look like a sonic boom in real life and about the right spot :wink: 

i5Yos8Y.jpg

This is after I solved the problem, indeed it does. Looks very nice!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.