A simple mod request

Hi, So I was looking to build some sci-fi ships in the same league as Star Wars ships and I wanted them to have good thrust in atmo and out, but also be stupidly efficient, enough to have something the size of a x wing burn 4 rocket engines and still have fuel to get all the way across the solar system and participate in a sizable dogfight. But I looked at every Sci-fi engine mod I could find and they were all either huge or had some handicap like special fuels or pitiful thrust. Now to my request. I need a suite of engines that burn normal fuel and have thrust on par with stock engines, but have ridiculously low fuel consumption, enough to make every plane a SSTO and have interplanetary capabilitys. I'm fine with you copying stock models but please put them in a new tab if you do.

PS. RCS ports too please.

(Moving to Add-on Discussion.)

Sounds as though you don't actually need a mod, if all you'd like to do is essentially have all the standard KSP engines at standard KSP thrust, but getting a whole lot more fuel efficiency.  You can do this yourself with a ModuleManager patch.

ModuleManager is a mod whose purpose is to allow tweaking the behavior of the config the game uses, such as the config that controls the properties of the various parts.  (There's a pretty good chance that you have it installed already, if you're running many mods-- it's what pretty much everyone uses in their mods to allow adjusting parts.  But if you don't have it installed, it's easy to do so.)

With ModuleManager installed, all you need to do to alter the behavior of any part is to have a little config file of your own, anywhere in the GameData folder (or subfolders thereof), written in the ModuleManager config language.  (It's well documented on a wiki, see links from the ModuleManager forum thread.)

For example:  Suppose you wanted to tweak the Terrier engine so that it acts exactly the same, but has 100x the fuel efficiency.  I believe the following would do the trick (caveat, I'm not in front of a KSP computer right now so I'm not in a position to test this):

// Patch the Terrier engine to have 100x fuel efficiency.
@PART[liquidEngine3] {
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines] {
        @atmosphereCurve {
            key = 0 34500
            key = 1 8500
        }
    }
}

...I think this will work.  Make a file in your GameData folder (can name it anything, as long as it ends with the ".cfg" extension), and paste the above content into it, and then fire up KSP.  Then go into the VAB, pull up the Terrier, and take a look at what its Isp value is.  You should see it be ridiculously high.  :)

I've used the Terrier here just as a working example, but if you compare my snippet with the actual stock config file for the Terrier, I think you'll see the basic idea.  Assuming that I'm correct that the above config work, you could apply it to pretty much any engine you want.

ModuleManager will let you tweak any of the properties of any of the parts you want, so you can customize KSP exactly how you like it.

6 hours ago, The solid fuel chemist said:

I want a limit. It may be a irrational guilt due to cheating or... Yea it's a irrational guilt due to cheating. Also if I shot down a plane and the engines spazzed in midair it won't kind of take away the coolness, ya'know ? 

Then @Snark's option would be your best bet, just ridiculously efficient engines.  I was just asking since you can turn on infinite fuel in-game without even so much as a MM patch.

16 hours ago, Snark said:

// Patch the Terrier engine to have 100x fuel efficiency. @PART[liquidEngine3] { @MODULE[ModuleEngines] { @atmosphereCurve { key = 0 34500 key = 1 8500 } } }

I just tested this is an otherwise stock game.  It said it applied 1 MM patch, but nothing appears to have changed on the engine in game.

This worked, although I'm sure someone who's actually messed with MM patches before today (not me) would take exception to it

@PART[liquidEngine3] {
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines] {
        -atmosphereCurve {}
        %atmosphereCurve {
            key = 0 34500
            key = 1 8500
            key = 3 0.001
        }
    }
}

How's that?

screenshot312.png

Edited by Geonovast

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.