[1.12.x] B.Dynamics - Retracting/vectoring engines, Critter Crawler

linuxgurugamer

2 hours ago, RaccoonTOF said:

Just wondering if this is an actual problem with the mod, or if I've got some other conflict somewhere causing this.  The image below shows the RCS ports plume effects "reversed" from the direction of the RCS thrust (probe core pictured is "forward", RCS is thrusting with H translation.  Same occurs on all other directions).  The thrust itself applies correctly in use, just the visuals are opposite what I would expect (and also a LOT larger than I would have expected from the original screenshots...)
b4vjls.png

EDIT: after looking into the part config and doing a bit more digging on the forums, it appears to be an issue with all parts using ModuleRCS.

Yes, it is, I'll get it fixed in a day or so

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, rotelini said:

i have the last version of ksp,when i try to use the critter c. it doesn't work,it is like a paralytic

Log file, please.

You are either using the wrong version of KSP, or you are missing dependencies

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 4 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer, Just out of curiosity, what is the "wall of gimbals" for exactly in the cfg files for these parts?! And why are the gimbals needed as toggles in the VAB/SPH? Did you design these parts like that, or did the original developer of the mod?

I guess I just don't grasp the reasoning or purpose for needing 20 or so toggle-able gimbals for each part....and if there indeed IS no purpose, why not just delete the extra ones and leave one in the cfg file?

JoE Smash....

Lastly is the crawler scale-able with Tweakscale? That would rule! I saw someone else ask and partially work on this idea but it seems like they gave up....

2 hours ago, JoE Smash said:

@linuxgurugamer, Just out of curiosity, what is the "wall of gimbals" for exactly in the cfg files for these parts?! And why are the gimbals needed as toggles in the VAB/SPH? Did you design these parts like that, or did the original developer of the mod?

I guess I just don't grasp the reasoning or purpose for needing 20 or so toggle-able gimbals for each part....and if there indeed IS no purpose, why not just delete the extra ones and leave one in the cfg file?

JoE Smash....

Lastly is the crawler scale-able with Tweakscale? That would rule! I saw someone else ask and partially work on this idea but it seems like they gave up....

If you look at the crawler, you will see lots of joints.  Those are the gimbals.  Same with the others.

If you're curious, go ahead and delete some of them, then see what happens.

To a certain extent, it's a limitation of KSP.

and yes, the crawler is scaleable with Tweakscale

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Cloakedwand72 said:

Why doesn't the critter crawler work in KSP 1.4.5 wanna send it instead of rovers.

You'll need to define "not working"; I just threw an unmanned command pod on top of a critter crawler and ran the length of the runway without issue.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is KSP Wheel OK for 1.5.1?  The link you have goes to the GitHub, and I think what Im reading there is from April. CKAN metadata says 1.4.5.  But given the history of wheel problems and unity engine, and Squad's issues with wheels under U4....  I just want to make sure that the dependency doesn't wreck the game.  I'd love to have the critter crawler, but not at the price of breaking the upgraded game.

1 hour ago, Murdabenne said:

Is KSP Wheel OK for 1.5.1?  The link you have goes to the GitHub, and I think what Im reading there is from April. CKAN metadata says 1.4.5.  But given the history of wheel problems and unity engine, and Squad's issues with wheels under U4....  I just want to make sure that the dependency doesn't wreck the game.  I'd love to have the critter crawler, but not at the price of breaking the upgraded game.

You should ask this question in the KSPWheel thread.  I found this:  

• 3 weeks later...

Literal balance request: is there any chance we can get a CoMOffset on the XJ-48k Vector engine? They mass 2100 kilos. Two of them on the backend of a Mk2 plane shifts the CoM really far back, making it practically a requirement to either front-load the plane somehow or make it a delta-wing design. (Or anything else to get the CoL behind the D/CoM in a reasonable way.)

If yes, I'm currently booting up KSP to test a setting. I'm thinking something in the 2-3 range for offset will work. Will get back with a suggested value later.

EDIT: So I tried out an offset of 2.7. Seems like a bit much: it puts the DCOM in front of the WCOM by a decent margin on the design I used for testing. Considering the total mass on the front end is less then the rear, this is overdoing it. I'm guessing a value between 2.0 - 2.4 would be better. (Maybe 2.1 to match the mass? :sticktongue:)

Edited by StahnAileron
Preliminary test results.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, captainradish said:

Was this the mod that added the rockets that were designed to fire immediately before hitting the ground so you didn't have to use a parachute all the time? They were highly interesting.

You might be thinking of Comfortable Landing, although the pop out rocket thrusters of this mod could be used the same way

7 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

You might be thinking of Comfortable Landing, although the pop out rocket thrusters of this mod could be used the same way

Not Comfortable Landing. There was a mod once that had animated radial solid rocket thrusters that popped out and fired at something like 30 meters above the ground. They were quite chaotic and wonderful.

EDIT: This is what I was thinking of:

Thankfully they are still current! Lovely!

Edited by captainradish

3 hours ago, captainradish said:

EDIT: This is what I was thinking of:

I knew after you declared my first suggestion wasn't it there was indeed another one but I was away from my PC when you made your response. Just got back and went looking, came here to tell you but you found it. Cool

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.