[1.12.x] B.Dynamics - Retracting/vectoring engines, Critter Crawler

linuxgurugamer

3 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

No cheerful remark goes unpunished with you, eh?

Ok, I correct my previous utterance, it being the imprecise thing it was; "so the crittercrawler is back to full updateness stance, hurray".

Sorry, I was having a bit of a down day

The crittercrawler is turning out to be an excellent feature-finder:

0rWDT9i.png

HuvGdhr.png

9zErt3u.png

fTy6ezC.png

cF36a1i.png

Btw, it works fine underwater: my contraption sank slowly to the bottom. It has a low CoM and the density appears to be just right to provide just some negative flotation:

Ybyz9No.png

Edited by Daniel Prates

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello,

First of all thank you so much, for keeping this mod up to date.

I see you have recently updated it to support 1.8, but unfortunately I came across a couple of problems with the Critter Crawler. It has been installed via CKAN with the dependency.

The first problem is the "Gear Ratio" setting is not adjustable and there's that infamous white box issue again.

The second problem is, when you toggle the "Sticky Feet" feature, the craft becomes all wobbly

I hope it can be seen easily from the GIF I'm sending...

Critter-Crawler-2019-10-25-12-01-00.gif

If you need any logs, please tell me how would you prefer me to send them and I'll send them your way as soon as possible.

I also have a question about this lovely animated part.

I know tweakscale hasn't been updated for 1.8 yet, but when it does, would it be possible to add scaling option to this part (either by you or by us editing some cfg files), or would it be impossible implement since it has animated and moving parts?

I think it would be AMAZING to have a, say x10 or x5 bigger version of this crawling around...

Thank you so much again.

Edited by Problemless Mods Wanter

4 hours ago, Problemless Mods Wanter said:

The first problem is the "Gear Ratio" setting is not adjustable and there's that infamous white box issue again.

What "white box" issue?

The Gear Ratio is, I believe, due to a bug in KSP, wait for 1.8.1

Have you tried the sticky feet on another planet?

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What "white box" issue?

The Gear Ratio is, I believe, due to a bug in KSP, wait for 1.8.1

Have you tried the sticky feet on another planet?

Hello again,

After you asked, I tried it on Mün, Eve & Duna, it seems to be working fine on these.
I guess it's just Kerbin related.

• 2 months later...
On 12/28/2019 at 3:25 PM, doodlemh said:

if its not crazy hard do you think you could make a bigger, more spider shaped critter crawler? if it comes down to it i could make a model of one and if you want to you could do it.

Sorry, no.  Besides the fact that I don't make parts, this mod is in maintenance, not development.  And I believe the animation is closely linked, so not sure how easy it would be to make spider with the legs articulating properly

21 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sorry, no.  Besides the fact that I don't make parts, this mod is in maintenance, not development.  And I believe the animation is closely linked, so not sure how easy it would be to make spider with the legs articulating properly

I understand, thanks.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Krzeszny said:

Thanking in advance isn't polite.

I might do it but I started playing KSP last week so I'm not very experienced.

Since you are a new player, I'll cut you some slack and explain one of the forum rules, you can read all of them here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/guidelines/

2.2.p:    Demanding or pressuring for release dates or updates from Take-Two or content creators.

I realize you don't think you were doing this, but your request is essentially requesting an update, which is a gentler version of demanding.\

In general, most mods work work for KSP 1.8.x will work for 1.9.x.  If you look at the thread title, you will see it says 1.9.x.

People frown on requesting when an update will be because it oftentimes causes a modder to lose interest.  I write and maintain over 210 mods for KSP, and if I even got one message a week for each mod, that would be 40 messages a day which I would have to respond to, or at least look at.

It's much nicer to actually try out a mod and then report if it works or not; if it doesn't, then provide log files and other information to assist the modder in fixing it

Welcome to the forums, and happy Kerbaling

I disagree, since I do it often.  It's a way to express your thanks to an unknown person, and to let them know you appreciate any and all answers you might get.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I might do it but I started playing KSP last week so I'm not very experienced.

29 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I disagree, since I do it often.  It's a way to express your thanks to an unknown person, and to let them know you appreciate any and all answers you might get.

I see thanking in advance as an equivalent to demanding or pressuring (just like 2.2), or in other words, taking away your right to say no. If you google "thanks in advance", it's a common topic on the internet that it's considered rude by some, which is why many websites list alternatives. You're not so much appreciating any answers, but expecting, and thus requesting those answers.

34 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I realize you don't think you were doing this, but your request is essentially requesting an update, which is a gentler version of demanding.

You're right, I didn't mean to pressure you or even request an update in this case. If I did, I'm sorry. I know I might have requested updates in other topics... In this case, my unspoken question about 1.9.1 was "is it compatible with 1.9.1". CKAN shows it's 1.8.1-compatible. I did see 1.9.x in the title, but I'm using CKAN. I've found multiple mods that were made for 1.8, even 1.8.9 but are broken in 1.9.

So, do you have an idea why CKAN marks it as 1.8.1?

2 hours ago, Krzeszny said:

I see thanking in advance as an equivalent to demanding or pressuring (just like 2.2), or in other words, taking away your right to say no. If you google "thanks in advance", it's a common topic on the internet that it's considered rude by some, which is why many websites list alternatives. You're not so much appreciating any answers, but expecting, and thus requesting those answers.

You're right, I didn't mean to pressure you or even request an update in this case. If I did, I'm sorry. I know I might have requested updates in other topics... In this case, my unspoken question about 1.9.1 was "is it compatible with 1.9.1". CKAN shows it's 1.8.1-compatible. I did see 1.9.x in the title, but I'm using CKAN. I've found multiple mods that were made for 1.8, even 1.8.9 but are broken in 1.9.

So, do you have an idea why CKAN marks it as 1.8.1?

Yes, because it hasn't been updated since 1.8.1.  You can allow compatibility in CKAN to allow it to use 1.8.1 mods.

1.8.9 never happened, that's just someone being clever.

I'd be interested in knowing about 1.8.1 mods (especially mine) which don't work in 1.9

The critter crawler is not compatible with Bon Voyage, says the wheels are never touching the ground; not a criticism, just pointing it out in case anyone else though it would be great to have a swarm of autonomous critters running around the place :(

The mini jet engine has really weird stats to me- the ISP is really poor for a jet engine (vector is substantially better) and it gets more efficient in vacuum? I really like the VTX-202, even if it is slightly too wide for a 1.25m stack- very useful for building things that need to be launched vertically on a rocket but land horizontally e.g. to drop off a rover, due to their low profile and high efficiency.

4 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

The critter crawler is not compatible with Bon Voyage, says the wheels are never touching the ground; not a criticism, just pointing it out in case anyone else though it would be great to have a swarm of autonomous critters running around the place :(

The mini jet engine has really weird stats to me- the ISP is really poor for a jet engine (vector is substantially better) and it gets more efficient in vacuum? I really like the VTX-202, even if it is slightly too wide for a 1.25m stack- very useful for building things that need to be launched vertically on a rocket but land horizontally e.g. to drop off a rover, due to their low profile and high efficiency.

Probably because it uses KSPWheel.  Contact the author of Bon Voyage, maybe he can do something

@linuxgurugamer

I tried loading this mod into 1.9.x today in KSP and its been sitting on this screen for the last 25 minutes. I'll be glad to post a log file for this instance here in a few minutes also.
https://gyazo.com/afeb40d00fd5ed429f2964281ffa605c

Player Log file

Edited by reschke
Added link for Player Log file

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.