[1.4.3] WarpCoreUnit1 V1.2 A Star Trek inspired warp core for Kerbal Space Program.

TheKurgan

1 hour ago, AlonzoTG said:

*ANTIMATER*

*I KNOW*

What resource (with regards to engines) is exhaustible? The resource that "degrades" and must be replaced? In order to keep it simple I decided to use  Dilithium Crystal as that exhaustible resource.

On 3/25/2018 at 2:36 PM, TheKurgan said:

I COULD care less about non-constructive criticism... but I'd have to put effort into it.

I'm not a pure Trekkie... I don't know all the technical stuff about Star Trek.

Be constructive... suggest a single resource, that like I said is typically exhaustible,  that the engines use for propulsion, and I will probably edit the cfg.

Edited by TheKurgan

My other reason for using Dilithium Crystal was that it seemed to be the most believable (yet still unrealistic) resource that you could extract from the ground, or produce by refining ore... getting antimatter or deuterium and anti-deuterium from the ground, or from processing ore seemed way more unbelievable.

In my opinion.

On 5/21/2018 at 10:18 AM, TheKurgan said:

My other reason for using Dilithium Crystal was that it seemed to be the most believable (yet still unrealistic) resource that you could extract from the ground, or produce by refining ore... getting antimatter or deuterium and anti-deuterium from the ground, or from processing ore seemed way more unbelievable.

In my opinion.

well, actually Deuterium can be made from seawater, since it is a real isotope of hydrogen.

21 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

well, actually Deuterium can be made from seawater, since it is a real isotope of hydrogen.

This may require some testing then. One final reason for not using deuterium is the fact that in CRP, deuterium has an extremely low density, and I was having trouble getting the numbers for ISP and the ratios correct. I'll play with it, I may have it in the next release.

I got an impulse engine running on deuterium and the ISP has to be something like 10,000,000

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleEnginesFX
        engineID = Impulse
        thrustVectorTransformName = ThrustTransform
        exhaustDamage = False
        ignitionThreshold = 0.1
        minThrust = 0
        maxThrust = 1000
        heatProduction = 10
        useEngineResponseTime = false
        useVelocityCurve = False
        flameoutEffectName = flameout
        powerEffectName = power_normal
        //runningEffectName = running_thrust
        engageEffectName = engage
        disengageEffectName = disengage
        spoolEffectName = running_normal
        engineSpoolIdle = 0.05
        engineSpoolTime = 2.0
        EngineType = Turbine
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name = LqdDeuterium
            ratio = 0.05
            DrawGauge = True
        }
        PROPELLANT
        {
            name=ElectricCharge
            ratio = 150
            minResToLeave=1.0
            ignoreForIsp = true
        }
        atmosphereCurve
        {
         key = 0 10000000
         key = 1 10000000
         key = 4 10000000
        }
    }

I'm thinking of doing a converter that turns Dilithium Crystal into LqdDeuterium at a rate of 1 to 100 or something like that, and have the warp engine run off the LqdDeuterium.

What do you think?

Edited by TheKurgan

@TheKurgan It may help to have the ratio value of your single resource (that has mass) to be 1. If you're trying to raise the consumption rat of LqdDeuterium you can:

1. Lower the Isp (even to extremes like 0.00005).
  2. You can raise the maxThrust of the engine and set the thrustTransform key's value to null (no value. It's safe to do this. The ZZZ warp drives have no thrust transform as far as I know). The one problem after this is players will read the module info and think the core might actually produce a shed-load of thrust.

What kind of performance balance are you trying to achieve with your impulse drive? Extreme mileage and great thrust out of small supply of it?

WarpCoreUnit1

V1.2 for KSP 1.4.3

• Converted the Warp engine to run on LqdDeuterium, This is the exact same resource that is in CRP, but don't worry, if you do not use CRP, the resource definition is also included in the mod.
  • Dilithium Crystal is now consumed for the creation of LqdLqdDeuterium at a rate of 36/hr at 100% load AND the generation of EC at a rate of 36/hr at 100% load. Combined load on the Dilithium Chamber (once the LqdLqdDeuterium tanks are full) with the warp engine running at max is 28.45%. So in reality, Dilithium Crystal is being used at aprox 20.5 per hour. With 2000 Dilithium Crystal, that equals about 100 hours of travel at full Warp before you need to refill the Dilithium Crystal!!
  • Tidied up the cfg, and added some lines that were missing, but not essential.
  • Changes to the instructions:

This Warp Core is a fully self contained warp drive, reactor and ore processor. In order to make use of the reactor and ore processing, first you must "Deploy the Converter" wait for it to be ready (it takes a little while), start the reactor, Initialize the Dilithium Chamber, and if you are converting ore into Dilithium Crystal, Start Crystal Extraction.

Github

SpaceDock

Dropbox

Feedback and constructive criticism welcomed.

Edited by TheKurgan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.