Switching between moving craft in the atmosphere...

Quick question. Why can't I switch between two craft while moving in the atmosphere? I got what I thought at the time was a really good idea to make a flying aircraft carrier... Until I realized it was impossible to land anything on it while it was in the air. I'm guessing this is why KSP has no plans for multiplayer, lol.

uc?export=view&id=1VmYwPOYSf2MjiUjtgUHtO

You can switch between vessels while in the atmosphere, following the exact same rules as vessel switching in space. The actual limit is distance - KSP stops computing physics for vessels that are more than 2.3 km away. This means that, among other things, you can only switch between two vessels (without going through a loading screen) if they're less than 2.3 km apart.

5 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

You can switch between vessels while in the atmosphere, following the exact same rules as vessel switching in space. The actual limit is distance - KSP stops computing physics for vessels that are more than 2.3 km away. This means that, among other things, you can only switch between two vessels (without going through a loading screen) if they're less than 2.3 km apart.

Yes... As long as those vehicles aren't moving. Try flying a plane, then switching to another plane while moving. I think you'll find it doesn't work because the game won't let you switch vehicles while moving. Believe me I've tried. I know in the example I'm 3.5k off the ground, but I tried repeatedly to switch while it was within 2.3km range of a small parked aircraft.

Yeah, you can definitely switch while flying in atmo, I do it all the time when dropping payloads from planes. Switch to the payload, pop chutes, extend gear, then switch back to the plane.

Not sure what the exact rules governing this is though.

I've heard the figure of 300m thrown around before somewhere, but I can't find anything conclusive.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

I just ran some tests and I can confirm the engine allows you to switch in moving atmospheric vehicles as long as you are within 350m. It would be nice to extend that, you could do some really fun stuff like in-flight refueling and dock-able airships if you extended that to 10,000m or higher! Now, to do something like dock with an airship... You would have to swoop down with the airship over the aircraft, get within 350m, switch, take off with the aircraft and hit a speed that keeps you within 350m, switch, quickly stabilize the the airship so it doesn't crash, switch, then finally land. LOL That seems impossible short of being Data from Star Trek TNG.

Maybe you can change the range in the configs of the game, but even if you can do that i still recommend using the mod.

If you are not using consolo that is.

Edited by NSEP

On 1/8/2018 at 5:36 PM, Dr Wily said:

... You would have to swoop down with the airship over the aircraft, get within 350m, switch, take off with the aircraft and hit a speed that keeps you within 350m, switch, quickly stabilize the the airship so it doesn't crash, switch, then finally land. LOL That seems impossible short of being Data from Star Trek TNG.

I did dock two planes for in-flight-refueling a few times in this manner. Not sure if I have the screenshots anymore though :/

Anyways, back on topic: A larger stock switch range would be nice. It's not hard to fix either. Literally a few numbers in the physics cfg file I think.

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.