Newby wants to output rocket file

Hello.

My son and I have just started using KSP this weekend and have had good success with the tutorials and simple missions.  We have got as far as soft landing on Mun.  His enthusiasm is sky high.

At school, they have just started a computer club and KSP is on offer there.

He wants to output a copy of his successful rocket/lander design and take it to school and load it onto the KSP there.

Can someone help us on how to do this.  We are not that computer savvy so a donkey list of actions would be welcome!

Thanks.

dairwin

You need to go to your Kerbal Space Program Folder.  What OS you're on and where you bought KSP will affect where this folder is.

Kerbal Space Program -> game -> saves -> "NameOfSave" -> Ships -> VAB(If it's a rocket, SPH if it's a plane) -> "YourRocket".craft

Simply copy that file to the computer at the school by placing it in the same folder for his save there.  Then open the ship in the VAB.

48 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

You need to go to your Kerbal Space Program Folder.  What OS you're on and where you bought KSP will affect where this folder is.

Kerbal Space Program -> game -> saves -> "NameOfSave" -> Ships -> VAB(If it's a rocket, SPH if it's a plane) -> "YourRocket".craft

Simply copy that file to the computer at the school by placing it in the same folder for his save there.  Then open the ship in the VAB.

Hello Thanks for your reply.

We have OSX 10.13.2 and we bought the KSP through Steam.  Can't see a folder on my computer called 'Kerbal Space Program', or ".craft" files?

I have pretty much zero experience with Mac, so bear with me.  A quick Google gives me this:

Open up finder, press Go (in the top of the screen), then press go to folder. Enter in
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program

That should take you to your KSP folder. Afterwards you would install them the same way you would on a windows computer.
Another way to access the KSP folder is by opening steam, going to your library, right clicking on Kerbal Space Program, clicking properties, clicking the Local Files tab, and then pressing the Browse Local Files button.

Welcome to the forums @dairwin!

As @Geonovast said, if you have it on Steam it's as simple as right clicking KSP in your Steam library, selecting properties,  going to the local files tab, then hitting "browse local files."

You can either upload the actual .craft file to a free file sharing site like Dropbox, or move it on USB stick or something like that.

2 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Welcome to the forums @dairwin!

As @Geonovast said, if you have it on Steam it's as simple as right clicking KSP in your Steam library, selecting properties,  going to the local files tab, then hitting "browse local files."

You can either upload the actual .craft file to a free file sharing site like Dropbox, or move it on USB stick or something like that.

Found it!  In KSP/Ships/VAB/"rocketname.craft"  

I assume I should also copy over the equivalent file from KSP/Ships/@Thumbs/VAB/"rocketname.png"

I can copy these for my son's school session.

His school computer is a Dell, so maybe the structure is similar to the earlier Geonovast reply of:

-     Kerbal Space Program -> game -> saves -> "NameOfSave" -> Ships -> VAB

Thanks guys!

1 hour ago, dairwin said:

I assume I should also copy over the equivalent file from KSP/Ships/@Thumbs/VAB/"rocketname.png"

I can copy these for my son's school session.

His school computer is a Dell, so maybe the structure is similar to the earlier Geonovast reply of:

-     Kerbal Space Program -> game -> saves -> "NameOfSave" -> Ships -> VAB

Thanks guys!

No prob!

You can copy over the thumbnail if you want but it isn't needed. The game will display a default "green rocket icon" until the first time you load it, and then a new thumbnail will be generated.

Yes, the file structure should be identical regardless of OS. If the school computer isn't using Steam you may need to manually find the KSP install folder though.

Are you sure that's your ship?  The directory you posted is for the stock ships. 

1 hour ago, dairwin said:

As far as I know, the stock ships cannot be overwritten.  So if you loaded a stock ship, edited it, and saved it, it might have the same name, but that's not the same ship.  You ships are stored within the specific Save's folder.

Edited by Geonovast

52 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

Are you sure that's your ship?  The directory you posted is for the stock ships. 

As far as I know, the stock ships cannot be overwritten.  So if you loaded a stock ship, edited it, and saved it, it might have the same name, but that's not the same ship.  You ships are stored within the specific Save's folder.

Hi Geonovast - you are right.  I was using my laptop to navigate around and found the structure mentioned, but the version my son was using is on a desktop.  On that, he stored his rocket design on a different file location.  However, the mechanism was clear to me.  I have transferred the file to a memory stick (the school doesn't permit email or dropbox, etc).

Thanks,

David

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.