First cold hard experience on iron man mode

xendelaar

TLDNR

I just started an ironman career game and after several pretty successful missions i lost my first Kerbal due to a stupid decision i made to save a couple of funds. i just need to get this of my chest. I'm sorry I got you killed Bob Kerman. you will be missed. 

The full story

i recently started an iron man career on medium difficulty level. my goal is to visit every planet, plant a flag and have casualties at a minimum...everything was going pretty well. i visited the mun, minmus,  ike.. and Duna.. that's where it all went to poop.

during the landing, the ship exploded when i released the parachute( visit from the kraken?).. just in time, i had Bob kerman jump out of the vessel and saved him with his jetpack.

bob got stranded... so i built a unmanned ship to rescue him. it also had a rover in case i would overshoot the landing site.

it took me 4 tries to get to Duna because of several minor, yet catastrophic design flaws. needless to say it took me quite some time and funds. it was of course totally worth it because everybody knows bob is irreplaceable! :)

F4Vk9R2.png

i finally arrived at Duna and started landing the vessel.  i overshot the extraction point almost 40 km. luckily I had the rover (rocket slide) to cover the distance. 

28cHK6J.png

it took me an hour ( real time) to drive to bob, pick him up and drive him back to the return vessel.

apcUz79.png

CPBqq1K.png

when bob arrived at the return ship, he mounted it and flew back to kerbins soi. it took us several years and 6 real life hours to get him back in kerbal space territory. i was overjoyed! I almost got him back home! 

we started the descent and everything went A okey. next step was to separate the pod with heat shield from the engine and landing gear.  but here i made a crucial mistake.... i thought I could keep the engine so i could save me some cash...

because of the landing gears drag forces, the ship flipped and in a blink of an eye the ship and its crew exploded into thin air. 

hours of successful designing...flying...driving...all for nothing because I wanted to save a freaking terrier' engine which is almost cheap as free...

I'm so.. so... sorry Bob Kerman. you will be solely missed

Edited by xendelaar

22 hours ago, Shadow Wolf56 said:

R.I.P (Rest In Pieces)lol

Bob Kerman 

*que sad music played on violin

10 hours ago, Shadow Wolf56 said:

Hey I found the sad music @xendelaar   Lol

hehe you made laugh out loud @Shadow Wolf56. thanks for cheering me up. :)

18 hours ago, Urses said:

Yet another example of money don't make you happy...

Poor Bob, he goes to the stars to become a shooting star....

i felt sooooo stupid when it happened. ironman mode is not game mode where you can take risks. :)

i thought of making a nice meteor monument next to the launching pad in his memory.  but I ended up discarding the career and restarting again.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.