Unconventional Staging

It was a bright day at the KSC, and a new rocket was about to be built. However, there were no decouplers. Someone has used then as fireworks after drinking too much munshine. (I’m looking at you jeb.) now you need to devise a suitable alternative to decouplers and see how far that can take you! Points are awarded based on which bodies you orbit or land on. Please don’t just use an ssto. And no docking ports because I was stupid and almost forgot to add this. Also no pylons.

Scores:

Format is Body - Points for Kerballed Orbit/Points for Kerballed landing/Points for successful Kerballed Ascent into orbit/Points for returning the landed Kerbal to Kerbin.

SCORING: Credit to ultimate Steve

Score is for Landings where applicable.

• Moho - 200
  • Eve - 740
  • Gilly - 90
  • Mun - 50
  • Minmus - 50
  • Duna - 150
  • Dres - 120
  • Ike - 80
  • Laythe - 250
  • Vall - 130
  • Tylo - 380
  • Bop - 120
  • Pol - 120
  • Eeloo - 190
  • Jool - 50
  • Kerbol - 10
  • Kerbin - 5
  • NEW: Asteroids (Rendezvous/surface sample/return Kerbal to Kerbin)
  • Asteroid - 90
  • Dresteroid - 90

Repeat Landings are okay as long as they are non-sequential.

Bonuses:

Home Run - Return to kerbin - 50

Grand Tour - Complete a Grand Tour - 100

LEADERBOARD:

1: @sevenperforce - Decouple not, and ye shalt not be decoupled! - 160 pts, Non-sequential double Mun landing, Minmus

2:

3:

4:

5:

Edited by ShadowGoat

Yes. I’m trying to bring the joy of RUD (rapid unplanned disassembly) to the more domestic rocket scientist.

@sevenperforce could I just use the scoring system from your challenge? Minus the bonus stuff. I’ll come up with that on my own when I have more time.

Edited by ShadowGoat

1 hour ago, ShadowGoat said:

Now you need to devise a suitable alternative to decouplers and see how far that can take you!

Well, I went to LKO.

I'm not expecting any points for that, I just wanted to point out that doing staging without decouplers is pretty trivial in KSP. You could go just about anywhere with a ship like that, just scaled up. Eve or Tylo might be a bit of a challenge, because they always are, but other than that it's all pretty straightforward.

(Also, yeah, my re-entry sucked. I was trying to see if I could let re-entry heating burn the engine and tank off, but of course that doesn't work with a vessel shaped like this, because it flips as soon as the engine blows up. I should've just done a slower re-entry and maybe used the spare fuel to decelerate, or else I should've designed the upper stage differently. Maybe with a sepratron or two pointed at the fuel tank to deliberately blow it up before hitting the atmosphere.)

Edited by vyznev
my re-entry sucked

1 minute ago, ShadowGoat said:

Should I allow decouplers only if they are used for things like stock hinges and such?

Personally I'd say no, if the challenge isn't to use them at all, trying to launch a hinge using sepatrons to burn the parts apart would add a degree of challenge.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.