[1.11.x] TU / SSTU Color Presets

Jimbodiah

JimboFlag.png             TU / SSTU Color Presets

The following config file is intended to replace the stock SSTU list of colors for the recoloring option that can be used on any SSTU part to give it custom colors. This is a list of colors I use in my game-play and should give a large variety of gloss, metallic and matte color options. You can always add your own colors ofcourse by editting the cfg file for colors. Notice I mention colors a lot? Colors...

SSTU Color Presets

Spacedock [v1.11  11-04-2021]  Works for SSTU/TU release for KSP 1.9.1 running on KSP 1.11.x 

To install:  Unzip the archive and move the contents in the /GameData folder to your ../KSP/GameData directory.

* note: upon installation this may effect some of the stock colors.

sstu_colors.jpg

REQUIREMENTS

You need the following items installed to get these colors to look like they should.

- SSTU 0.10.46.158 or later    download link

- KSP 1.6.1 or later, running in 64-bit mode and forced to DirectX11

TIPS

TIP: Change the length of the recoloring GUI in the in-game Textures Unlimited settings menu.

TIP:  Specular and Metallic sliders

It may sometimes not be evident which slider to use for what effect when changing existing, or making you own colors:

- Specular: The amount of shiny. Setting to 0 will make the color matte, setting to 255 will make it a mirror gloss.
- Metallic: This is basically a contrast slider, raising or lowring contrast from reflections. Set to 0 and it will be flat, set to 255 and you will get light to dark bands that exagerate the lighting.

Specular 0 and Metallic 0 will give a matt paint effect, while specular 255 and metallic 255 will give a super metallic mirror effect.

Warning: The higher the specular and metallic values, the darker it will look in space as there is no light source to reflect like with the omni-directional lighting in the VAB. Keep this in mind when using colors that look like mirrors in the VAB

Enjoy!

Edited by Jimbodiah

Chrome, Red metallic, Black Chrome

Spoiler

colors_blackchrome.jpg

Aluminium, Blue metallic

Spoiler

colors_alu_blue.jpg

EPL Blue, EPL Purple, White gloss, FFT Silver

Spoiler

colors_epl.jpg

Construction yellow (matches the KSPI auger), Matte black

Spoiler

colors_yellow.jpg

Edited by Jimbodiah

Many thanks for this little mod. Textures Unlimited is an awesome piece of work but it's color preset is a bit limited, and RGB value are a pain in ... (IMO)

A little suggestion tho, you could put your ColorPresets file in its own folder, this way it won't overwrite the TU preset and it won't get overwritten when TU gets updated. It does work without any modification, I've just try.

The problem with that is that my colors will get added to the existing colors at the end, and I wanted a custom order as well. Plus some stock colors have been edited iirc.

I can try to make a MM patch that replaces the stock config and thus not be overwritten when TU updates.

Edited by Jimbodiah

16 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

The problem with that is that my colors will get added to the existing colors at the end, and I wanted a custom order as well. Plus some stock colors have been exited iirc.

I can try to make a MM patch that replaces the stock config and not eing overwritten when TU updates.

IMO it's best to have more colors, but custom order is good too :) maybe it's possible to re-order the KSP_COLOR_PRESET with MM ?

For deleting TU color this syntax should do it :

-KSP_COLOR_PRESET[nameOfTheColor]

EDIT :

2 hours ago, Jimbodiah said:

TIP: Increase the length of the recoloring GUI as follows

Open the GeneralConfiguration.cfg file in the /000_TexturesUnlimited directory and edit the following line:  

// specifies the total height of the recoloring GUI
    recolorGUITotalHeight = 840

This doesn't seem to work, the window stay the same size.

Edited by Li0n

Yep, I can delete all existing color definitions first with  -KSP_COLOR_PRESET[*] and then add them again.

Re the height, make sure you have TexturesUnlimited 1.0.0.7 installed, there was a update on this but it is not yet included in the last SSTU release.

9 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Re the height, make sure you have TexturesUnlimited 1.0.0.7 installed, there was a update on this but it is not yet included in the last SSTU release.

That was it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

@Jimbodiah Hey man trying to DL these presets (they are for KSP v1.3.1 right?) and Chrome says there's a Virus detected :(, any chance you could post a link to the source so I can just copy-paste the color definitions or something?

edit - NVM edge(yuck) DLed it just fine

Edited by Akira_R

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Jimbodiah getting this when trying to get to the spacedock page: 

Unauthorized

The server could not verify that you are authorized to access the URL requested. You either supplied the wrong credentials (e.g. a bad password), or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the credentials required.

• 1 month later...

I dont think ive used sstu cause last time i looked it as out of date for the version of ksp i was using..tho im pretty sure thats not the case anymore.

This looks pretty sick tho. Like..really badazz!!

Can other mods be implemented by chance in the future(like a mini mod/cfg thread kinda thing?) i like messing with the recolor depot mod. But this seems to do pretty much the same thing?? I think recolor depot does color swapping for 2 different sections of a model tho to make parts more dynamically sexy. Both have their respective supported mod 'list'. Just something to think about i guess. I use quick hide mod so the only drawback for me is learning both gui's

Cheers and congratz!

What does the change to GeneralConfiguration.cfg do? The mod's job is just adding new default colors right? Shouldn't it work without SSTU installed so long as I have TU and TURD, and just replace the ColorPresets.cfg?

33 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

It's not a mod. It's a new config file for more color presets than the base ones Mage has included.

I’m confused. If it just adds new colors, why does it need SSTU. I’m not trying to pester you, I’m just confused.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.