KSP Challenge: "Target Practice"

Darth Badie

anm5cNoSM_14smWjwI4ysGKIF0VSno3yrP9KIOQy

Hello everyone, 

Check out the amazing and creative entries of  the last challenge!

This week we have another theme for you: “Target Practice! " 

The holidays are over, and it's time to get back to work. Jebediah was gifted a wonderful little cabin during the holidays, he liked it so much he made two copies and put one on Minmus and one on The Mun.

But, Jebediah is a restless kerbal and an adrenaline junkie , and gets tired of too much leisure (ie: more than 5 minutes without any danger), so he decided that in order to get everyone's attention, he would build a rocket and launch it to try to hit as close to his cabin as possible.

Challenge Goal

• In an unmanned vessel (ok, if you really want to kill somebody, you can), launch a rocket to either the Mun or Minmus, targeted at the cabin which is on each at Longitude 0, Latitude 0.
  • The goal is to impact the surface as close to the cabin as you can

Rules

• The vessel can have two boost phases, the first to get to orbit, the second to inject it into an intersection course with the target. 
  • Once the boost phases are done, decouple anything you want, this will be the last time decoupling is allowed
  • Extra points if you do it all in a single launch. 
  • Even more points if it is a single stage
  • Download the save file from this URL or, use HyperEdit to move a target to coordinates 0,0 on your desired target planet.  If you do, the target cannot be bigger than 6m in any direction (6 of the M-1x1 panels).  As a reference, Jeb's cabin is 5x6m
  • All mods are allowed, except HyperEdit and VesselMover
  • Make sure that the target you are aiming for is selected as the target before impact
  • You are allowed to use SAS to point to the target, to make it easier to show on screen for the pics.  Just no thrusting of ANY kind (including stage separators) is allowed.
  • Post pics of the launch, interplanetary injection and either the moment of impact or just before impact.  Make sure that the target is shown, that way you will see the distance.  Note that the distance to the target will be shown even after the impact, if the target is close enough

Scoring

• 1 point if you launch a rocket
  • 1 point if it leaves Kerbin orbit
  • 5 points if you enter the SOI of the target planet, not counted if you impact the planet
  • One of the following (whichever is higher):

- 10 points if you impact ANYWHERE on the target planet.
- 15 points if you impact within 100Km of the target
- 100-distance (in Km) from the target
- 125 points if within 1 Km of the target
- 150 points if you actually hit the target

Achievements

• 1 point - I tried
  • 2 points - Lost
  • 7 points - Lost In Space
  • 12 points - Broad side of the Barn
  • 17 points - Outer Limits
  • 18-125 points - Marksman
  • 127 points - Expert Marksman
  • 152 points - Bullseye

We will have special badges for the first challenge of the year! Thanks to @linuxgurugamer for making this challenge possible! 

Share your screenshots, videos or images. We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community!

This post will be to summarize answers to questions, and to post a scoreboard once we have some entries

Rules Updates

• Mods are allowed, but you must list all significant mods, including autopilots like Mechjeb.
  • Please provide a craft file for download

Answers to Questions

• No trajectory corrections are allowed after the vessel is on an escape course from kerbin.  This include any kind of  force inputs of any kind, including things like RCS, decouplers, etc.

Scoreboard

Broad Side of the Barn

Marksman

Expert Marksman

Edited by linuxgurugamer

6 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

So no trajectory corrections inside the target SOI?

Nope.  Once the final burn is complete, no more burns

Actually, no force inputs of any kind, this includes decouplers, etc.

14 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

you should also outlaw the use of mechjeb, since using that someone could hit the target dead center each try

Even with Mechjeb, it's gonna be difficult.

But, I did forget to ask to list mods, I'll update the rules now, using mechjeb may be a different category

11 minutes ago, Mrcarrot said:

Hmmm... don't think I'll be doing this one, I'm almost incapable of landing on the Mun even when I use the Alt+F12 debug menu...

On another note, how does one suggest what these challenges will be?

Send a message to @Darth Badie with the idea, be prepared to write up rules, etc

15 minutes ago, nascarlaser1 said:

We can use the cloaking mechanism made by either @wasml or @Acea to make a true stealth missile

If it's a real stealth missile, then how are you going to know where it is impacting?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

It occurs to me that this will likely be a game of luck due to floating point precision, but I'll try my hand at it.

Now that I think about it, even if the aim is dead on, the chance of destroying the cabin would be rather low, as the high speed could result in phasing through

Edited by EpicSpaceTroll139

26 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

It occurs to me that this will likely be a game of luck due to floating point precision, but I'll try my hand at it.

Now that I think about it, even if the aim is dead on, the chance of destroying the cabin would be rather low, as the high speed could result in phasing through

Regarding the micro-precision needed to do a direct hit, yes, but otherwise, more of a timing/aiming issue

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Can I get any bonus points if I do this with a space rifle? :sticktongue:

fwk5hMf.jpg

(jk, but still going try using this thing haha)

These types of weapons are awesome to shoot. You haven't lived until you've been to the range with one of these big boys, though I haven't shot a 50. caliber yet, mostly 30. or 35. calibers. :)

1 hour ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Can I get any bonus points if I do this with a space rifle? :sticktongue:

fwk5hMf.jpg

(jk, but still going try using this thing haha)

Uhhhhhh.

I never fail to be amazed at what people will come up with.

I assume this is fired from space? So, girsy you have to get it to space, that is the boost phase.  Then firing it is the second phase.

No extra points but good luck with it

First attempt. I can do better.

Used MJ to start ascent because beauty mods and frame rates (nuff said).

ActnT5m.jpg

Disengaged MJ as Ap hit 80k - no circularization. Kept burning for intercept. First burn complete

biQtspv.jpg

Warped to change in SOI. That's when I discovered battery was dead. D'oh next time need solar panels.

qJI8JFr.jpg

No electric means no second burn. So close as it going to get one single burn:

SJZZrEZ.jpg

I made about 50 attempts with a 5400 dV single stage missile without the assistance of any mods. It seems the precision required for a bullseye shot from the launch pad is not possible with the stock controls except for dumb luck. Well, I know it is technically possible especially considering exactly where the target is but, I cannot do it. I may use mechjeb and try again or I may just bow out of this one.

On 1/10/2018 at 5:13 PM, FuzzyHead said:

Alrigh, I did it :)

Still haven't figured out how to properly link imgur now. It used to be possible to see the pics right here in the post. Cant do that anymore...

https://imgur.com/a/Oosxp

Was a little easier than I expected.

Nice.

craft file, please

5 hours ago, Red Shirt said:

Disengaged MJ as Ap hit 80k - no circularization. Kept burning for intercept. First burn complete

Sorry to say, that first burn is all you are allowed in this case because you are now escaping Kerbin’s SOI.  Ill allow a second burn if it is still fairly close to Kerbin, but no burns past that.

On 1/10/2018 at 5:13 PM, FuzzyHead said:

Alrigh, I did it :)

Still haven't figured out how to properly link imgur now. It used to be possible to see the pics right here in the post. Cant do that anymore...

https://imgur.com/a/Oosxp

Was a little easier than I expected.

Imgur albums aren't working at this time, so your link was correct.  You can link individual images, but you need the direct link for that

I can't tell from the images, did you do any burns once you left Kerbin orbit?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

11 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sorry to say, that first burn is all you are allowed in this case because you are now escaping Kerbin’s SOI.  Ill allow a second burn if it is still fairly close to Kerbin, but no burns past that.

That makes sense after reading it. In that case I suspect my dumb luck first attempt is about as close as I'm going to get,

Nice challenge this. I've done this the old school way, without mods (so all manual flying and no usage of mods to intercept the target).

8iK6AZ5.jpg

[NASA Narrator voice impersonation] And lift-off of the Slam-o-Tron 1000,25, carrying a can of whoop-ass for Jeb's cabin.

Yfnn7nz.jpg

Comin' to get ya boi.

6KR0MaW.jpg

First stage seperation.

adijUzZ.jpg

In orbit around Kerbin.

7AUnGpC.jpg

Intercept with Mun achieved. I activated Commnet beforehand and deactivated the batteries, so I cannot control my probe anymore...

Which sucks, because I forgot to remove the manoeuver node......

Umm6Ay2.jpg

Carp. I don't think I'm going to be knockin' on Jebs door.

zm4w1V7.jpg

Well. That's it. 52km from Jebs shack. Gun get ya one day boi, but not today.

1 point for launching
1 point for leaving Kerbin orbit.
100 - 52 = 48 points for Comin' to get Jebby boi.

50 points for effort.

Thanks for giving me an excuse for procrastinating! :)

Edited by Adelaar

Here's my entry. I really thought I should have been able to get closer, all things considered. (Craft file)

Spoiler

(I had corrected some typo's, but they must have been undone at some point, Silly me was approaching edit burnout and didn't do a final proof-watch before publishing. I'll fix it tomorrow if I get time. Closest impact was actually 4.1 km )

Edited by StrandedonEarth

On 1/13/2018 at 11:21 AM, Fireheart318 said:

Can I use an indestructable probe core that's just a round ball (not a Stayputnik)? I want to leave a mark and you can't make craters in KSP

Won't it bounce when it hits?

If you can assure me that it isn't bouncing, I'll consider it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.